The Fishing Fools Thread....

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by PMCGoldenEraG8R, Dec 10, 2008.

1. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,620
    Nice, 7_5! I must have missed your call about the fish fry. :ninja:

Check this out...federal judge in Texas reels in NOAA's fishery division for using false claims to support discriminatory practices against gulf coast recreational anglers. This sounds like a great step in the right direction to jerk a knot in those whack jobs at NMFS...and it's about time!

http://theadvocate.com/home/6164511-125/judge-feds-must-redo-red
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +661
    Saw that. It's got to come crashing down soon. The states are making them look like fools.

Think it is going to cost me a few federal days out of Alabama (Sorry, Rburnett), but change is needed.
  3. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +661
    Did snapper almandine last night - only way wife will eat fish now.. Incredible as always.

Think I'm going to make a piccata tonight.
  4. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,485
    Limited out on red snapper Sunday, but it was a little slow going. Switched to smaller hooks and tore up the the bait stealing beeliners and triggers between snapper bites though. Saturday got skunked, current was running too hard in the Gulf to do much on the bottom.

Thinking of baking or grilling whole beeliners tonight, anyone got a favorite suggestion on them?
  5. rburnett

rburnett Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +94
    Berliners. Love it. Must be another panhandler! Yellow tail of the emerald coast. Show us some pics. Gator75 would trade a 15lb snapper for 1 good trigger. That's some awesome meat too.
  6. rburnett

Ratings Received:
    +94
    Just finished my trip to Lake St. Clair in Windsor Canada. Weather was tricky. Caught a 4.3 lb Smally on friday, but weather sucked. Windy, cold, brown water. Saturday was beautiful. 75 and calm but water was still brown. Today was money. Clean pretty water and fished from 8-12. Caught literally 50 smallmouths. Incredible. Pics to come when I get back. Currently getting bombed in detroit airport.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +843
    Head to Bimini n a couple days! Will report back soon!
  8. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +661
    Good day on the water today...couple of Rodenbury specials. My cousin with a nice grouper we released and his son with a sow!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. supagator

supagator Supa'star Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,933
    Nice goin, fellas'!
  10. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +661
    Landed this STUD sow snapper this morning. Not the best pick, but it'll do. Hit a big live croaker on the way down on the first drop of the morning in 100' of water.. My biggest to date by a longshot! 39" 28lbs.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  11. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,128
    Nice! Headed out 60-80 miles off St Pete tomorrow hoping for some of that.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +843
    Took the boat to bimini last week. Offshore reports were kinda slow, so we spent a good amount of time bottom fishing. Of course we caught an un-godly number of beautiful yellowtail, along with hooking into some beastly grouper.
    We did find the mahi when we went offshore and caught a couple up to 17lbs and a ton of schoolies.
    We lost a bunch of fish to the local "tax man" .... sharks and cudas, and hooked a few of those too.
    We hit up the steel ship for snorkeling and a couple braver ones in the crew climbed up and jumped. Also found a bunch of conch.
    All in all a good trip.

A few pics. . .

Mahi. Not sure why I went with a pelvic thrust into my poor, unsuspecting friend.

[​IMG]

One of a few sharks we hooked. Ugh.
    [​IMG]

Steel ship

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  13. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    A while back I posted a request for info about fishing off of Long Island. Well I am reporting back that the trip was a big success. We caught about 11 flukes (flounder) and 8 Strippers. All if these were keepers. We did catch more but we had to throw back the sharks, skates, under size, and the out of season species. Here are two photos.

http://s1099.photobucket.com/user/danlerchpics/media/image.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s1099.photobucket.com/user/danlerchpics/media/image-1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
  14. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,620
    Some recent exploits.

Inhaled the topwater...
    [​IMG]

One for the money...
    [​IMG]

Two for the show...
    [​IMG]

And...my most recent snapper trip.
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 3
  15. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +222
    Had a good day offshore groupering Saturday. Headed out to 45 ft into overcast/stormy skies, and a little chop but nothing too bad. The particular spot we were headed to is a large patch reef area, not much relief but good hard/live bottom. The plan was to get out there and troll around for a little and see if we could catch a grouper or at least find a new spot or two. We syck at grouper trolling and didn't get a bite, but after about 15 min we marked two nice looking spots.

We set up on the most promising one and the bite was on! We caught a few shorts but most were keepers, the ratio of keeper to shorts has changed quite a bit from last season. Think that's a good sign for the grouper population, but I'm no marine biologist. Anyhow, after the bite slowed down the chum we put out started to do its job. We were free lining pennies behind the boat on light rods and gags were coming 30ft off the bottom to slam them. Pretty neato catching a 10lb gag on a medium spinner.

Bite slowed again and we decided to get a first hand look at our new honey hole. Had to pass up a boss gag as soon as we hit the bottom, because we already had a limit . He won't be so lucky next time...... Got a few small hogs. Vis was as good as I have ever seen it.

Ended up with 8 gags, two reds, and three porkers. Great way to break in my new fish cleaning station!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. rburnett

Ratings Received:
    +94

Damn! That is awesome. You couldn't do that in Pensacola because there's too many red snapper! That chum line would never get going good enough. That's gOt to be the best way to catch them. Draw them away from the holes. We bust off soooo many bottom fishing. The 20 lb class fish are almost impossible to horse out of the rocks. Thanks for sharing!
  17. PMCGoldenEraG8R

PMCGoldenEraG8R Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    Rella---awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

I wish I could "like" or "love" all the posts and pictures here! I've not been here in so long, and I'm very happy that this thread is alive and well! Great fishermen/women, great fishing experiences to share, great memories made while fishing. I do love this sport!

Busy life things have kept me off the water lately, weather and work schedules have limited our time to fish also. I hope to be able to fish our area more this summer when time and weather will allow.

We are headed to a family reunion in Destin the first weekend of August. Any anglers here have a favorite guide that you use from that area? We might be interested in hiring a charter while we are there. We just have boats for flats fishing, will be there for just 4 days, so we won't take our boats. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated! :)

I was lucky enough to catch this nice 23 1/2" trout in April. She had to go back, as we had our limit and had our limit in trout over 21" in the boat. It was a great day!
    [​IMG]

(I just previewed this post, and sorry the picture is so big. I'm not sure how to make it smaller. I'll figure that out later!)

Tight lines and full coolers everyone!
  18. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +417
  19. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +417
    You sure do go fishing alot! Thanks for inviting me when you do go...
  20. igabradley

igabradley Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +313
    wow a pmc sighting! great looking fish everyone.