The Fishing Fools Thread....

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by PMCGoldenEraG8R, Dec 10, 2008.

1. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +215
    Little guy is getting big Brent, man does time fly...

Just bought my first boat yesterday. Hard to describe how happy I am, to finally be able to go fishing whenever I want.

Anyhow its a 17' Renegade Skate with modified V and a tunnel. This thing will run in a puddle and has a ton of fishable surfaces.

Her maiden voyage is planned this Sunday Redfish BEWARE!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  2. baygator1

baygator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,572
    Congrats man! Fine looking machine. I'll get the grease hot.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    That's a beauty GatoRella

Any of you guys around Pensacola? Might be making a kayak trio to Big Lagoon on Perdido Key in October.
  4. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,648
    Lovely for skinny water. No reason to fear winter tides with that. Just don't hit a wave or that shovel nose might dive under. That wouldn't be any fun. Reds are thick in Ft Myers right now

I just spent $700 on trim motor, fuel sendiing unit and trailer springs. Told wife I have to use it now.
  5. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,648
    For a quick trip you got some highlights. The drive from Anchorage to the Homer turnoff and between Valdez and Wasilla / Palmer are two of the prettiest drives in the state and top 10 in US. Need to experience some glaciers, whales, bears, hiking, Denali, and some salmon fishing to round out the experience. You drove right past good glacier hiking spot. See pub photo album for pics of Matanuska Glacier and other spots in Alaska.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. tec68

tec68 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +90
    We did get out and walk on one glacier but not sure which. We saw a few of them and a few volcanos. We saw a grizzly and some moose and lots of Whales. We saw lots of seals and sea lions(I believe thats what they were) and we also saw thousands of small ice bergs. That was crazy!

While we were in Valdez the captain of our boat said he would take us somewhere we could catch lot of Halibut or somewhere we might not catch any but if we did they would be big. We told him we wanted to go to the bigger fish. Our boat ride was around 2 hours and we were the only boat out there. The first hour we were there all you could hear were the pods of Whales blowing out air. It was just amazing.

And yes the drives were so beautiful. I took over 400 pictures lol.
  7. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,648
    nice. surprised you haven't been back if that was your first experiece. whale breath stinks though. putrid stuff when they get close. the boat ride from Valdez is now 3 - 3.5 hours for big fish, 2 hours gets you chickens and often involves a fuel surcharge if you want to go for big fish.

[​IMG]
  8. tec68

tec68 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +90
    My Papa is actually going to drive with a buddy of his from Atlanta this year. I would go but I am currently trying to find a decent paying job with a chance of advancement so that I can propose to my sweetheart lol.

I will definitely go back as soon as its financially possible for me lol.
  9. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,648
    tell your dad that there is a camper supplier that will allow you to drive their campers from Missouri (I think) to their customers in Alaska. Read about it on trip advisor. They give you around 3 weeks to make the trip. I would definitely advise them to go through Banff and Jasper in Canada and spend some time there on their way up. They can hit the north rim of grand canyon, zion, bryce, grand tetons, yellowstone, glacier, banff, and then jasper all within a 1000 mile drive and travel through some incredible country on the way.

better to go back to Alaska when you are young and poor. much cheaper that way. chase credit card = sign on bonus miles = free plane ticket, hostels, trains, hitch hiking, camping can make it cheap. get old and get a wife and family in tow, not so much.....if you must marry, skip the wedding, spend it on the ring and the honeymoon.

alternate, spend a summer up there working for one of the park hotel operators. Princess hires thousands of people to live and work at their lodges as does Aramark and others. some real hot interntational women there. live in a dorm with people froma round the world. may change your mind or give you some ideas. work 5 days, get 2 to explore. ahh to be young and free again...no the wife doesn't read these...
  10. rburnett

rburnett Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +94
    Just booked a flight to Detroit to fish Lake St Claire in June. The new #1 ranked bass lake in the US! That's right, I'm a fresh water guy now.
  11. TnCamoGator

TnCamoGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    Enjoy ripping lips on those Smallie's up there! They offer an incredible fight for freshwater fish, in case you've never caught one
  12. rburnett

Ratings Received:
    +94
    I caught a few when I lived in ATL... they had smallies and shoal bass in the hooch. St Claire is out of this world though.
  13. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,648
    fish the stick marsh if you ever get the chance. one of the most underrated, undiscussed fishing spots we have if you really like freshwater that much. something tells me that when you smell the sea, you will get the snook rods and the cast net out and head for the inlet.

http://www.myfwc.com/fishing/freshwater/sites-forecast/ne/farm-13-stick-marsh/
  14. rburnett

Ratings Received:
    +94
    Oh the freshwater thing is not a choice really... I moved from Pensacola to Dallas/Fort Worth in Jan. I am also making fishing trips to Pensacola for 4th of july (only 14 days of red snapper/ gag overlap) and Anna Maria 1st week of August.

I bought a Florida lifetime sw license before I left.
  15. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    rburnett, what do you know about kayak fishing Pensacola? I might be camping at Big Lagoon St Pk., Perdido Key in October. #Boondoggle

Gonna be wet & wild for this tourney.
    http://jacksonvillekayakfishingclassic.com/

JACKSONVILLE, FL - JaxKayakFishing.com, Northeast Florida's online kayak fishing community and host of the 2013 Columbia Sportswear Jacksonville Kayak Fishing Classic on May 3-4 is pleased to announce Classic Week activities leading up to the tenth Jacksonville Kayak Fishing Classic. More than 370 anglers have already registered to compete for over $90,000 in prizes and gifts, and over 400 kayak anglers are anticipated again at the world's largest kayak fishing event.

http://www.thefishingwire.com/story/285914
  16. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +492
    Jumped my 1st tarpon (video)

NSFW (language)!

Pretty rough video, folks. Still learning to catch tarpon, work the camera and edit video.

Still, we liked this a LOT!

2 person kayak. I'm in back. I hook the thing and then pass it to my buddy (just call him potty mouth) after 5 seconds.

Link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1uekYIHQP4
    • Like Like x 1
  17. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +613
    Duck when you hear gun shots!
  18. supagator

supagator Supa'star Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,905
    Actually, you need to get an airboat and fish the flooded area about 5 miles away from the stick marsh. The biggest bass in the state by far! I ve been an i caught a 10lb, and 3 around 8lbs in a few hours. The guy that took me there caught a 15lb. that day. Oh and if you google map it and do find it dont forget you can only fish on tuesday otherwise you may be shot by duck hunters!
    • Like Like x 1
  19. baygator1

baygator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,572
    Great stuff! Look forward to more of that.
  20. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +613
    More like what doesn't he know. He's to humble to admit it, but he's the 2 time defending Gulf coast kayak inshore slam champion. When he left pensacola, I heard ticket sales for this yrs event tripled - at least that's the word on the street.