The Fishing Fools Thread....

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by PMCGoldenEraG8R, Dec 10, 2008.

1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,699
    Definitely good for them to have something in common with boys besides hormonal urges....I've already told my two daughters if they wanted to date a guy I got to take him fishing first; figure I can chum up some nice bull sharks pretty much anytime around Boca Grande pass and explain to the fellas how much meat a fired up bull shark can consume in a short period of time and how well a little bleach and a scrub brush washes the blood stains right off the boat. :yes:
    • Like Like x 2
  2. gators4life

gators4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +184
    Went for the first time last year with our friend who lives in Melbourne, so we go to Sebastian all the time. Not an expert on it though, I'm sure someone here can give you better guidance.

Our set up consisted of lights on each side of the bow. One on each side of the boat. Not sure on the bulb. we had probably 10-12ft dip nets we would snatch them up with. Its a lot easier if you get the net down in the water before hand instead of stabbing at them. We had one guy on each side near the bow call out to their side when shrimp were coming. Communication is key like using words like coming in "short" or "long". Once the tide starts going out they start flowing like a constipated bull. We also had a home made box net that we dragged behind the boat that was probably a 4x4 square. Worked pretty well when we let it sit for a while. Was a pain in the ass to pull in when it starts ripping through there.

Not sure on the exact positioning at Sebastian but we were more centered in the channel but off to the right side a little closer to the rocks (where the state park beach is).

Lots of getting up at 2am for about 3 nights straight for about 5 hours.

Like I said I'm no expert on shrimping, I would ask your local bait shop for more info. Still a lot of fun. The shrimp were large to jumbo last year when we went, and they came through pretty thick.

Hope something I said helped, and good luck!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    If Capt Tyler Vollmer looks familiar, he is the one with the Barbie rod cannon video I posted a few weeks ago.
  6. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,575
    :grin: You got that right, jack! Here are a few pics from this past Saturday's carnage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. supagator

supagator Supa'star Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,906
    What great pics baygator!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +495
    Love your pics, bay. Good stuff.

I fished Madeira Beach from a kayak yesterday (Sunday), for 3 hours. Air temp 80, water 68. Had a pinfish out under a cork and was fishing the bottom with live shrimp. Pinfish never got touched. Caught 2 whiting, 4 silver trout, a speckled trout and a ladyfish - all small. Water needs to warm up another 5 degrees for the real fish (mackeral, kings, tarpon, etc.) to start showing up. Maybe next week.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,575
    Thanks y'all. We released every fish Saturday, too. My fishing partner and I both have a few in the freezer still, and I have my folks stocked up fairly well. So they lived to fight another day. We had 4 reds between 26 and 27...none over, and several smaller. Wish it had been a tourney...we'd have cashed the fat check!

deathroll - this week should help a lot with the temps. Good luck when you get back after 'em.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +829
    Finally got out fishing yesterday... 5 mahi (only 3 keepers-- 7-10lbs), 3 bonito that became strip bait and a small blackfin tuna.
    Had a huge hammer head follow our chumline right to the boat and basically bump his head into out hull. It was pretty cool to see.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +986
    Heading to Pine Island tomorrow am for a day on the water. Buddy of mine lives down in Englewood and apparently has some fish chewing pretty hard.

I'll give a report when we return.

Those pics with the light filters are very cool.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,699
    lots of bait around the sanibel causeway. kings and spanish mackerel are mixed in on the incoming tides. reds are strong this year, they have had a lot less snook to compete with for food after the hard freeze a couple of years back. everything is pretty good right now so it all depends on where he wants to fish and what he wants to fish for. offshore grouper bite is pretty good too.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +829
  14. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +986
    We crushed em today. Lots of bait on north end of Pine Island then hammered some very large trout (up to 28 inches) macks and reds. Three of us limited on each of those and two of us also caught snook for a slam.
  15. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +829
    Here is why I don't get out on the boat as much! LOL! I am teaching my kid the ropes... on freshwater! :)

Today we got a double header.... he was reeling in a mayan chilid and I sqaw a big large mouth lurking. I threw to him and whammo! Got another hefty one a bit later and let my kid crank him in until it wrapped him on a drainage pipe.

His technique when he hooks a fish is far better than his patience when he does not!! LOL! But, he only turned 3 a few months ago....

A couple pics....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  16. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +495
    Good stuff, hoops. Enjoy.
  17. tec68

tec68 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +90
    I was snorkeling on Looe Key and about a 500lb Jewfish came up under our 21 foot boat. That sucker was daggum huge! My uncle was on the boat and told me to get my 3 little cousins out of the water then he told me to stay in and take pictures with his underwater camera lol.

I started getting a little closer to take the pictures but was cautious because I wasn't in the mood to get my arm sucked into its mouth lol. That sucker started turning towards me when I was inching closer so I decided to back off lol. It was an amazing experience.

You can see so many amazing things in the Keys if you spend time there. I have had a Whale Shark come right under my boat. I have seen a Sun Fish. I have grabbed onto a Sea Turtle shell and it pulled me for a ways. I have swam with sharks and Barracudas bigger than I cared to be around lol. Always something.
  18. tec68

tec68 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +90
    These are from 2009. For graduation my grandfather payed for half of my 5 day trip with him and his friends to Alaska. I had to pay the other half but it was worth every penny. Most beautiful place I have ever been. If I could figure out how to put more pictures on here then I would post a lot more.

I caught the smaller of those 2 Halibuts. Mine was around 80lbs. My friends was 163lbs, we weighted it but once we got to the scales there was a 304lb Halibut already hanging there. It was huge as you can see in the picture!!! Also about a 50lb Ling Cod.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  19. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,699
    300 lb is a barn door halibut. massive fillets must have come off of that. hope they had a derby ticket. to post pics, upload them to flickr or photobucket and then copy and paste the url for them into the attach image block that pops up. Alaska is a long flight for 5 days. Glad you had a good time though. Spend all the time in Valdez?

edit, largest in derby that year was 312 lbs. no 304 listed so I am guessing they didn't buy a derby ticket

http://www.valdezfishderbies.com/pages/winners/2009.halibut.php

[​IMG]
  20. tec68

tec68 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +90
    I didnt know the people who had caught it but that must be the one because it was on August 10th. I remember because that is my birthday.

Thanks for the info about the pics.

We had a straight flight from Atlanta to Anchorage then we drove to Homer and went out fishing there. We then drove to Whittier and took a Ferry to Valdez and fished there then we drove back to Anchorage and took a flight to Seattle then back to Atlanta.

It was the most beautiful place I have ever had the pleasure to visit. Just so different than Belle Glade, Florida where I grew up.