The Fishing Fools Thread....

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by PMCGoldenEraG8R, Dec 10, 2008.

1. rburnett

rburnett Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    Fort Worth... I'm like 1 exit away from a giant Cabellas... but no reason to spend any $ there :-/
  2. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +860
    Sheepheads going off! Don't feel bad though rb, snapper season is going to be about 45 minutes this summer.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,065
    Just heard the proposed season for federal waters...a pathetic and laughable 27 days. And, maybe even a daily bag limit of one fish per person.

This is beyond ridiculous. I'm writing Southerland, Nelson and Rubio. I'm all for conservation and reasonable measures to maintain the fishery. I want it to be vaible for us and our kids. But the enviro-whacks running these agencies and directing rule making are way off the friggin reservation. And it's starting to filter into hunting as well. The state is prepping to further dissect the 'zones' with even more rules and regulations to follow.

Folks are already riled up:
    http://www.local15tv.com/news/local...-Against-the-Feds/HQBEBxjYk0SRJ-UgIWie9Q.cspx

Please take the time to write your elected officials.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,065
    Dang main! Was hoping you'd be a little closer to the coast...have a good buddy down near Port Arthur...he knows his way around Sabine and the TX and LA marshes. Excellent fishing for flounder, reds and specs. Great duck hunting, too.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +860
    Once La. goes non-compliant and starts their state water weekend snapper seasoon going for months, they are estimating a 10 day season for everyone else. FL HAS to go noncompliant. If we did, federal water would be closed for good, and these idiots would have to make changes (Fed closure means those with federal permits would NOT be allowed to harvest in state waters with recreational anglers). We could smash some snappers in State waters, and in dream scenario, they would go regional like trout, redfish, mackeral, etc and in the panhandle we could have a real snapper fishery again.
  6. rburnett

Ratings Received:
    +99
    You don't even need to leave Pensacola bay to catch big red snapper and grouper! We can (and do) slay some serious hosses inside 7 miles.

There are so many reasons these regs are straight bone-head.. porpoises eat every single released snapper now, we're doing more harm than good by having closures. Besides, commercial guys murder them year round.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +317
  8. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,065
    Thanks, Speed!

Quick hitter last Sunday afternoon...short trout was 17".
    [​IMG]
  9. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +317
    Where did all the fishing fools go? This one went to 'Boondoggle' last weekend. Weather was bad for fishing but good for meeting hundreds of kayak anglers from far and wide. 11 states in all, Maine was the farthest to make the trip. I missed the crawfish boil fresh from La., but I had the best boston butt ever smoked and smoked turkey stuffed with sliced apples and other goodies.
    Big fish was a 51.5" red caught by one of the Jacksonville guys. A handful of kayaks, canoes, and a surprise flats boat were given away along with thousands in rods, reels, and other tackle.
    Lots of money was raised for high school kids scholarships and Heroes on the Water, an organization that helps veterans with PTSD.
    My pics are in the pub photo thread forum above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYj5FqeP_MY&feature=youtu.be

http://www.floridasportsman.com/2013/02/20/and-ill-say-it-again-boondoggle/

http://www.yakangler.com/blogs/staff-blogs/item/2077-boondoggle-banners-and-buggies
  10. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +240
    That sounds like a great event Speed.

Well I haven't been fishing in the past few weeks primarily due to some bad weather we have had. Of course that hasn't stopped me from spending money on fishing lol.

Finally decided to replace my old trusty AB Biller speargun with one of those hi-tech fancy new rail guns. Thing is sooooo sweet, talk about burning a whole in my pocket.... Hope the weather improves for Sunday, if not my cat might be in trouble :yes:

Coming to a Cobia near you...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +317
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +317
    • Like Like x 1
  13. rburnett

Ratings Received:
    +99
    Watching fishing shows on tv. Fml. Today is the Big yak tourney in Pensacola. Hoping my slam record holds!
  14. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +317
  15. supagator

supagator Supa'star Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,948
    Any of you ever get into shrimping? Boat setups? Lighting? Dip Nets? Techniques? I'm in the Sebastian Inlet area do you have any advice?
  16. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,593
    Still tyring to get swelling down from getting my torn meniscus fixed up so couldn't take out the boat so I went out to the Sanibel Causeway yesterday with my 9 year old son. Hard incoming tide had a nice eddy working by one of the bridges that was loaded with ladyfish and a few spanish mixed in. Even a few small kings were caught from shore.

Anyway, after catching a few ladyfish and getting a couple of lines cut off, we were down to our last lure while I let my son just stand and cast. Just as we were about ready to leave, he got a hit by something that spooled him for the first time ever. It took about 150 yards of 30lb braid off a fairly tight drag on a penn 6500 before it just dumped the spool and snapped him off. Not sure if it was a big king or one of the tarpon I saw rolling in the area that ate his jig but it was priceless to sit there and watch the helpless look on his face as that fish spooled him. Sad that he never got to see the fish but glad he got to experience what a really powerful fish can do.
  17. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,065
    Took my daughter Friday...she did pretty well - caught more fish than I did! I redeemed myself right before we left with a 26.5" candidate for the grill. The tannic water from all the recent rain runoff gives those reds some awesome coloration.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. RepubliGator84

RepubliGator84 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +215
    Boy I wish I had the time to go
    • Like Like x 1
  19. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +123
    You are a great dad and a lucky father!
    One day that little girl is going to introduce you to a fine young gentleman who will be forever grateful for you teaching her how to fish.
  20. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +317
    I'm pretty sure I caught a snakehead the other day. Very pointy nose/mouth full of small teeth, round body about the size of a bratwurst, brown, about a foot or more long, looked just like a snake skin. Just south of Ponce Inlet in Callalisa Creek.