The Fishing Fools Thread....

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by PMCGoldenEraG8R, Dec 10, 2008.

1. g8tr96

g8tr96 Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +950
    I live in Jax and the Bull Red run is in full swing. The mullet migration started early Sept, and the fishing is good all over when that happens. The Bulls follow the mullet and they are also in for spawn<-- More on that later.....

Me and my son have gone out the past 3 weekends and done well. It's a nice work out for sure. :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did I mention they were in for the spawn.....note the umm...evidence "scattered" around [​IMG]

All the fish have to be vented before they are released. We are catching them in 40' of water, right on the edge of the shipping channel.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. supagator

supagator Supa'star Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,948
    What do you mean by venting a redfish?
  3. supagator

supagator Supa'star Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,948
    That was a funny vid, bay..
  4. g8tr96

g8tr96 Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +950
    Here is a vid showing how it's done.

I am catching these reds in 40'+ water and their air bladders are full which in turn makes them float like a cork. They cannot swim down as their buoyancy is out of balance. They are easy targets for sharks and birds and other predators while floating on the surface. Vent that air from them and they practically jump out of your hands soon as you put them back in the water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejtc1RTqk8s
    • Like Like x 1
  5. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,588
    damn jewfish aren't timid. We were catching snapper about 30 miles off of Naples a few years back and had one around 200 lbs come up and camp under our boat. Every time you would bring a snapper up he would shoot out like a large mouth bass attacking a shiner. biggest rigs we had were 4/0 with 50 lb test so we tied two together to one leader and baited him up. Not sure if he survived the beating long term but he limped away with a heck of a headache from the clubbing he took once we got him to the boat. Really need to open a season on them. They are decimating the snapper and grouper stocks on anything with more than 3 - 4 feet of relief around here.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,588
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WWaJNXnH1_g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

wow...that mate that was leadering him was lucky he had big loops, surprised he grabbed him that quick

fishing marlin off coast of australia with my son is on the bucket list. when my son gets big enough to be able to work a 6/0 rod, we will go. Saving ff miles now for the trip. He is 9, I am thinking when he is 13 or 14 and he can wrestle a jewfish standing up, he should be able to fight a marlin from the chair.

what is worst thing that happened to you from a hot fish?

scariest moment from a fish?

me..big bull dolphin that we horsed to the boat. 60 lbs in ten minutes and he came in the boat flush but when we got a shot with the gaff we were not going to let him drag it out. I went to close him down before he trashed the deck and he hit me in square in the shin with his tail. I could feel that bone bruise for months.

scariest, a big wahoo that threw the plug in the boat and got off the gaff. we all cleared but that is quite a mouthful of teeth. note --we do not boat barricuda, and sharks come in dead or they don't come in. second would be wrestling a jew fish clipped in and standing and losing your balance. new rule, never strap in standing...
  7. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,588
    we used to drive over to Anastasia back in the 80's. we would leave G'ville around noon, stop in Palatka and load up on blue crabs for bait, and then drive down to the jetties at the north end of Anastasia and fish those big bull reds. we kept what we caught...got stopped in Palatka one morning around 6 am and we were spent. had fished all night, had about 12 big reds (before the slot limit though), and cop pulls us over because he was bored and we were new truck in town early am wants to see what we caught. them were some mighty big trout and thank god he was a bass and bream man. bad part was the big ones usually had worms, about half of em that I recall. had to slice a lot of nice fillets up to get them things out.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. rburnett

rburnett Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    That marlin video is badass... waiting to see some of that action myself...

Calling Gator7_5 ... now that football season is "over" let's do that over-nighter elbow/rigs trip.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +860
    No time right now. I'm giving the NW florida deer heard a chris rainey heads up.. "Time to die!"

Tuna will still be swimmin in DEC.
  10. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +317
    I went kayak fishing this week. Saw a dozen tarpon, half a dozen giant manatees. Went up Thompson Creek, Tomoka River, back Strickland Creek to Sanchez Park, Ormond Beach. Tried lures, finger mullet, and pinfish. 6 hour tidal ride, easy drift back but got skunked. Still an awesome day.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,588
    just rewatched it..at the end there is a view that shows what looks like a ladder being launched and crowning one of the guys in the head. still trying to figure out if the fish got off the hook or not
  12. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +860
    that's the back of the fighting chair.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,588
    yes it is. they must of pulled it and set it up on the shelf there. good eye...
  14. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,784
    ft. pierce when i was a kid, my dad went with a friend and caught his first sail. When his buddy went to grab the bill, the sail jumped and punctured his lung. He fell back into the boat and got back up, grabbed the leader again, wham, the sail jumped at him again, hit his sternum with the bill and broke off about two inches of the bill in his chest. Dad had never piloted a twin inboard but they got back to the dock while an ambulance waited. Took buddy to the er and removed the bill, patched him up and a few hours laterwe took pictures at the dock with thefish, my dad and buddy with a budweiser in one hand and a cigarette in the other. White gause patch on his chest and all.

For me, ive had a snowy grouper that weighed close to 100 pounds break his dorsal spine off in my wrist. Doctors in the er used vice grips to pull it out. Still have zero feeling in the inside of my right index finger.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,588
    took my 9 year old son out yesterday...filled the livewell with whitebait on one throw and then let my son throw his little 4' net a few times against the pilings and he caught a few...headed out for some of my favorite redfish holes to find them full of guided tourists so found spots where we could. first spot saw lots of dolphin, two manatees, and caught a few jacks...second spot the tide was moving out pretty good but we sliced and diced a lot of bait and got a good chum line going that brought the reds off the flats and into our hole as the tide was falling. caught 7 reds and lost a few more to the mangroves in around 2 hours, biggest was 32 inches which was a great fight for my son, cooked up two on the grill at halftime tonight and had blackened redfish, red beans and rice, and cornbread for dinner this pm..love taking my son fishing and he can't get enough
    • Like Like x 1
  16. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    OK! For the very 1st time I have something to offer other than verbal descriptions and incredibly witty comments.

Video (my best friend Bob and his two children, 33 miles out in the gulf, last week) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1RlwhmhDJc
  17. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,588
    Looked like a good king too. That is some flat water for that far out.
  18. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    Yes it was. Does not happen very often but last weekend was glass. They have video of the drive back and it looked like they were on a lake. Katie fell asleep up on the bow, with the throttle wide open!

We catch kings. Getting to see the cudas at the surface was cool for them (us). Also caught AJs on that trip.
  19. rburnett

rburnett Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    Heading down to St. Pete this weekend and staying through the new year... bringing both my hobie outbacks... how is the water temp? Are snook still eating? I've heard its been a very warm december.
  20. jsc28

jsc28 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    It has been pretty warm, but there is some cold weather coming in on saturday. That may shut things down for a few days.