The Fishing Fools Thread....

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by PMCGoldenEraG8R, Dec 10, 2008.

1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +12,617
    wow...moving to Texas and giving up the real fishing....hope you are banking enough coin to get out to some of those rigs off La shores to get your fix..trading warm sunny beaches full of springtime coeds for cold dry Texas
  2. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,401
    I'll keep posting reports to rub it in bro!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. supagator

supagator Supa'star Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,230
    Good luck in texas
  4. gatordee

gatordee GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,071
    But the Goliath has made a great comeback and I would not be surprised if they legalize them to some extent.
  5. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +12,617
    They need to do something. The jewfish in sw florida are cleaning out the grouper and snapper on anything with enough relief for the jewfish to hide out around in sw florida. don't bother fishing the wrecks anymore as you usually have to fight to get anything past the jewfish but if you have a tourist in town that wants to feel just how strong a big fish can be, it isn't too hard to do. in the keys, we used to put em on the aj's but these jewfish are much stronger but you can't get em to the boat unless you tease em up off the bottom and lock down the drags on a 6/0 or better and then it is still a battle for a fighting chair.
  6. GatoRella

GatoRella GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +189
    FINALLY got back out on the water, our first trip since the Keys in August. Hunting & Football have kept us off the water for the most part. We usually don't start fishing until about a month from now, but with this freakish weather we have had the last couple of weeks we decided to give it a shot.

There isn't any reason to go offshore this time of year in the Big Bend, so we decided to head out the Waccasassa River to do some redfishing.

Water was clear and there wasn't much wind so we polled around and sight casted to fish all day. The reds were not real thick but it was a good day to break the ice on 2013. Sight casted up my first Sheepie, never seen them eat before so that was cool.

It was a beautiful day on the water to be sure, cant wait to get back out!

[​IMG]

Overslot
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. nycg8r

nycg8r VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +127
    Has anyone spent and time in South Andros? We have done a couple trips on the northern part of the island which were awesome but this year I think we are going hard core and going to the South.
    This looks like our set up, lots of fishing options besides just bone fishing on the fly.

http://goseahunter.com/
  8. baygator1

baygator1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,795
    What part of TX, burnett?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. baygator1

baygator1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,795
    Great pics, Rella. I went yesterday even though the wind was blowing a gale...20-ish out of the SE. Reds I was able to find were chewing. I had one that was over and the rest were upper slot fish. That almost made the ride there and back worth it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,401
    nice reds fellas
  11. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +45
    Fort Worth... I'm like 1 exit away from a giant Cabellas... but no reason to spend any $ there :-/
  12. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,401
    Sheepheads going off! Don't feel bad though rb, snapper season is going to be about 45 minutes this summer.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. baygator1

baygator1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,795
    Just heard the proposed season for federal waters...a pathetic and laughable 27 days. And, maybe even a daily bag limit of one fish per person.

This is beyond ridiculous. I'm writing Southerland, Nelson and Rubio. I'm all for conservation and reasonable measures to maintain the fishery. I want it to be vaible for us and our kids. But the enviro-whacks running these agencies and directing rule making are way off the friggin reservation. And it's starting to filter into hunting as well. The state is prepping to further dissect the 'zones' with even more rules and regulations to follow.

Folks are already riled up:
    http://www.local15tv.com/news/local...-Against-the-Feds/HQBEBxjYk0SRJ-UgIWie9Q.cspx

Please take the time to write your elected officials.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. baygator1

baygator1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,795
    Dang main! Was hoping you'd be a little closer to the coast...have a good buddy down near Port Arthur...he knows his way around Sabine and the TX and LA marshes. Excellent fishing for flounder, reds and specs. Great duck hunting, too.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,401
    Once La. goes non-compliant and starts their state water weekend snapper seasoon going for months, they are estimating a 10 day season for everyone else. FL HAS to go noncompliant. If we did, federal water would be closed for good, and these idiots would have to make changes (Fed closure means those with federal permits would NOT be allowed to harvest in state waters with recreational anglers). We could smash some snappers in State waters, and in dream scenario, they would go regional like trout, redfish, mackeral, etc and in the panhandle we could have a real snapper fishery again.
  16. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +45
    You don't even need to leave Pensacola bay to catch big red snapper and grouper! We can (and do) slay some serious hosses inside 7 miles.

There are so many reasons these regs are straight bone-head.. porpoises eat every single released snapper now, we're doing more harm than good by having closures. Besides, commercial guys murder them year round.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. baygator1

baygator1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,795
    Thanks, Speed!

Quick hitter last Sunday afternoon...short trout was 17".
    [​IMG]
  18. GatoRella

GatoRella GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +189
    That sounds like a great event Speed.

Well I haven't been fishing in the past few weeks primarily due to some bad weather we have had. Of course that hasn't stopped me from spending money on fishing lol.

Finally decided to replace my old trusty AB Biller speargun with one of those hi-tech fancy new rail guns. Thing is sooooo sweet, talk about burning a whole in my pocket.... Hope the weather improves for Sunday, if not my cat might be in trouble :yes:

Coming to a Cobia near you...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  19. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +45
    Watching fishing shows on tv. Fml. Today is the Big yak tourney in Pensacola. Hoping my slam record holds!
  20. supagator

supagator Supa'star Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,230
    Any of you ever get into shrimping? Boat setups? Lighting? Dip Nets? Techniques? I'm in the Sebastian Inlet area do you have any advice?