The Fishing Fools Thread....

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by PMCGoldenEraG8R, Dec 10, 2008.

1. rburnett

rburnett Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    Had to get some fishing in before Isaac wrecks $hit up here.. headed to "the edge" dropoff ~25-30 miles out of pensacola in search of meat.

Hit up a # that was loaded with monster vermillion.. we hit our 7 man limit and headed back before lunch. Some of these vermillion were over 5 lbs. STUDS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +827
    For the southern guys who aren't familiar with them, this is the norhtern gulf's version of a yellowtail. Phenominal eating, and anything over 20" is a stud.
  3. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,373
    did you make the trip? report?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. johnl

johnl Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +507
    We call them beeliners down here but they also resemble juvenile queen snapper. My question is are juvenile queens and vermilions the same thing? I doubt it but wouldn't see a need to distinguish between them.
  5. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    ^ nope. different species, though they look very much alike.
    i have a few vermillion spots i hit down here on ocassion, but not like rburnett!!! wanna trade gps numbers!?!?! LOL!!
    great haul!!!!
  6. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +240
    Late report. I went from a week in the keys, to a week in San Fran/Napa for a wedding so I have been really treading water at work. Tough life I guess :)

Anyhow, we had an awesome trip and the weather was great all week.

According to my buddy it was the worst Lobstering trip in his 25 years of going to the keys, due mainly to the water clarity. Still despite the conditions we ended up with 50-60 bugs, and had a great time doing it! Lobstering really is a fun challenge, and luckily I was able to catch on fast and had a good breath hold. Can't wait to do it again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unidentified Crab, looked quite edible.
    [​IMG].

Fishing was kind of hit or miss, and we also split time with lobstering. Since it was our first time to the area there was a learning curve involved, Im sure our next trip will be more successful. As many indicated the offshore bite was not all that great. We went to the Islamorada Hump one afternoon with nothing to show for it but the worlds smallest wahoo. Our other offshore day was to the 409 hump, which was much more productive icing a bunch of mahi.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The nighttime snapper bite was great, we did pretty well for first timers.

First YT!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all we had a great trip. Thanks for all the advice! Cant wait to get back there.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. rburnett

Ratings Received:
    +99
    nice haul rella.. hard to beat lobsters, yellowtail, and hogfish!

Panhandle has some funny names for fish, most people call them Mingo's here.. some do say beeliner, but the common name is Vermillion Snapper... figured nobody would know what I was talking about if I said mingos.

I think queen snapper have a much bigger eye and are out even deeper.. These were caught in ~200 ft deep.
  8. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    Those are some legit "flag" yellowtails! Nicely done!
  9. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +827
    Not a report. Just information. For those of you who love to fish and eat fish, and are tired of NOAA and big government trampling our rights, join the organization below. It's the only one with rec. fisherman's interest in mind.

Please read the blog and join RFA before it's too late.

They provide some scary and eye opening information. They've already (thankfully) helped to table the idea of "catch shares", which would basically take the shares of rec fisherman and sell them to the highest and wealthiest commercail bidders.

http://www.joinrfa.org/

http://joinrfa.blogspot.com/

It is a written FACT that a major goal of NOAA is that by the year 2020, rec fishing will be for sport and catch and release only.

Directly from NOAA's website and position on their "preffered state in 2020"

http://www.ntsb.gov/news/events/2010...ion 2020.pdf

Current Situation:

The current rate of increase in the angling population creates new management concerns. If the rate of recreational fishermen continues to increase at 3 percent per annum, by 2020 the number of recreational fishermen will increase by 7.3 million to a projected level of 18.5 million. This change will result in a significant increase of fishing effort and catch (i.e., mortality), all else equal. By 2020 continued growth in recreational angling will require that anglers focus more on the fishing experience and less on the number of fish landed. However, while post-release mortality in catch and release fisheries is usually low (often 2-5 percent), as fishing effort increases, post-release mortality will become an increasing proportion of total mortality. It is conceivable that the cumulative total of post-release mortality could increase to levels equal to the total allowable mortality for a fishery. As the number of recreational fishermen continues to increase, improved monitoring will be necessary to assess the fishing effort and catch. A national saltwater angler’s registry under development will be a necessary tool to collect data.

Preferred State in 2020:

Many recreational species have limited population growth rates and are too valuable to be caught only once. By 2020, catch and release fishing is emphasized and accounted for in specific species assessments. The proper techniques for release are refined and disseminated to lower post release mortality. For other fisheries, minimum size limits and reduced daily bag limits are sufficient management measures to maintain healthy standing stocks. Additional seasonal closures are considered to eliminate or redirect effort. By 2020, angler satisfaction is derived from the recreational fishing experience rather than the take or "kill" fish. To achieve optimum yield, adaptive management measures such as a temporary reallocation of quota is available to managers. For example, if commercial quota is not harvested, managers are able to temporarily

reassign the under harvested quota to provide additional recreational opportunity, and vice versa.

Proposed Actions to Accomplish Preferred State:
    (a) Improve collection of recreational catch, release, and harvest data,
    (b) Create and use the recreational angler registry.
    (c) Continue to promote catch and release fisheries,
    (d) Reduce daily bag limits and implement minimum or maximum size limits when necessary for those fish stocks where resorting to total catch and release is not necessary,
    (e) Promote research to accurately quantify and minimize post release mortality,
    (f) Increase the length of seasonal closures when necessary and encourage the recreational community to maximize the profitability of open seasons,
    (g) Amend fishery management plans to allow for timely conversion of unused commercial allocation to the recreational sector and vice versa;
    (h) Implement a variety of programs and incentives to enhance the conservation ethic of recreational anglers.
    Proposed Entity(s) to Promote Actions:
    (a) The leadership of the recreational fishing community should promote the total recreational fishing experience, instill a conservation ethic, and de-emphasize landings.
    (b) Industry and NOAA Fisheries should continue to support research and technology designed to reduce post release mortality.
    (c) Management (councils, commissions, NOAA Fisheries) should consider extending closed seasons to reduce mortality.
    (d) Management, (councils, commissions, NOAA Fisheries), should amend fishery management plans to allow, when appropriate, the conversion of commercial quota onto recreational quota and vice versa.

THIS SHOLD SCARE THE HELL OUT OF ANYONE WHO POSTS ON THIS THREAD.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +827
    During a commercial break of the first half of the game yesterday, I stepped out on the back porch of my parents house to sip a cold beer in the awesome weather. I looked down and saw this old girl cruising along the seawall. Ran down and on the 3rd cast, when she was just about out of range, I convinced her to turn and jump on a mirrodine in about 1.5' of water. She was so tall, her tail was all of the way out of the water while she was digging for crabs and shrimp. Hopped off the dock and released it to fight another day. That will likely be my best football commercial break ever.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  11. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,846
    Had a pretty good trip this past Sunday. We had quite a variety, too. Gags, red groupers, ling (38 pounder) , AJ's (a couple 30 pounders), triggers, kings and a truckload of red snapper (several over 20 lbs....all released, of course!).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've hunted and fished my entire life. I have never seen a more absurd set of regulations than what we currently have for red snapper. There were three of us fishing and I would very conservatively estimate we caught 60 - 70. And we caught them every place we stopped - artificial structure or live bottom, made no difference. I think it ties back to gator 7_5's post above about the regulatory move towards eventually making the fishery catch and release. Our fisheries management is an unbalanced joke - far too heavily slanted towards 'conservation'. I'm hearing they are considering shortening snapper season even further for 2013. I'm not sure they even consider the impact of increasing numbers of these predatory fish might have on the rest of the system. Rant over (for now).
    • Like Like x 2
  12. rburnett

Ratings Received:
    +99
    damn, nice trip baygator1... yeah, red snapper regs make absolutely no sense at all. We hardly go offshore this time of year because its really hard to target gags. Red snapper will eat everything you drop down.

The dumbest part of all is that at least half of those snapper released get crushed by dolphins... you can't fish up here without a momma porpoise and her young ones just cruising around your boat waiting for free meals.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +827
    Helluva haul Baygator.

And yes, it's extremely frustrating. Unfortunately, most of the people leading the charge for rec fisherman have given up. Going to be an uphill battle for sure.
  14. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,373
    fillet and release...that is what it is coming down to...

when fillets are outlawed, only outlaws will have fillets :)
    • Like Like x 1
  15. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,846
    One good ole boy up on Econfina already figured it out, and it involves duct tape. :laugh:

***Warning on the language!!! Not suitable for all audiences.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HGh4pbrJoSY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Watching things like this make me think we're regulating the wrong species.
  16. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,846
    Thanks guys.

Yes, it is frustrating. And I've shared the info you provided a few posts above with several other folks.

The hardest thing for me to understand about this is the fact that the fishery is a constantly renewing resource. If you maintain reasonable harvest quotas the fishery will thrive for generations. Why try to cut 'catch and keep' anglers completely out? It just makes no sense at all, and it would represent a very serious impact on coastal economies.

The only perspective most of these idiot bureaucrats have of a fishery is what they see in reports prepared by someone else and the aquarium at their favorite 5-star restaurant.

Maybe the states will step in and apply more reason and balance to regs in state waters.
  17. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,846
    Maybe we're using the wrong grouper bait?!

<object width='464' height='300' id='2370628' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' classid='clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000' alt='So Long and Thanks for All the Fish in http://www.break.com/'><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /></param><param name='flashvars' value='playerversion=12'></param><param name='movie' value='http://embed.break.com/MjM3MDYyOA==/ai/0/zi/0/ds/1/st/embed'></param><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always'></param><embed flashvars='playerversion=12' src='http://embed.break.com/MjM3MDYyOA==/ai/0/zi/0/ds/1/st/embed' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always' width='464' height='300'></embed></object><br><font size=1><a href='http://www.break.com' target='_blank'>So Long and Thanks for All the Fish</a></font><font size=1> - Watch More <a href="http://www.break.com">Funny Videos</a></font>
  18. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +827
    ^ I'd have $hit myself!

And that redneck form Texas is a trip! Duct tape a fish with no sides, and it grows back. LOL.
  19. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    NICE, Bay and 75!!!!!

I finally fished for a couple hours today..looking for the blackfin tuna. We found em . . . none huge, all 7-10lbs.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  20. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,846
    YUM!
    • Like Like x 1