The Fishing Fools Thread....

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by PMCGoldenEraG8R, Dec 10, 2008.

1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,898
    [​IMG]

we had lots more bites but they were soft. High pressure with bright sunny days not best for silver salmon fishing. Got 8 between 8 and 12 pounds, wife and kids missed at least 10 more. Salmon don't bite to eat once in freshwater, they just strike row tied to hook to try and kill it to eliminate competetion so you have to set the hook hard and fast. Hundreds of salmon milling all around the boat but couldn't get them to strike. They swim up a glacial river till they get to conflunce with their clear water river/stream and then they stop and swim around for 2 -3 days to clear all the silt out of their gills before heading further upstream to spawn.

[​IMG]

112 lb halibut in middle was mine, so was the tiny one next to it..also got two nice ling cod and a few rockfish. this pic was of the total catch from 6 fisherman. 7 hours of boat riding and 6 hours of fishing. Over 100 lbs of fillets in the freezer.

[​IMG]

too big for the box. :) First time captain tried to stick that big halibut, he hit the gill fin and sticker did not go through. Big fish went nuts after that and it took another 15 minutes to get it boatside and flat enough to get sticker in.

[​IMG]

Deshka River 5:30 am sunrise
    • Like Like x 1
  2. beachpiratefla

beachpiratefla Resident Pirate Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,881
    Cool pics
    G8trGr8t...
    I am splashing my boat this Friday finally....(17 ft. Key West CC)I have been working way too much this year...
    Beach
  3. rburnett

rburnett Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +94
    DAMN, I want to go fishing in Alaska...

How good does fresh salmon taste? I bet it's totally different than anything I've even tried from a great seafood market.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,898
    wild caught pacific salmon is much different/better than farmed salmon. no fishy taste at all. Kings are best, silvers, then reds to my taste buds. Some people prefer red salmon better. when vaccum sealed and flash frozen, it remains good for around a year. fresh halibut is better than fresh grouper to me and halibut freezes real well too. $1.25 / lb to skin it, slice it, pack it, freeze it.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +218
    Great Pics G8trGr8t, thats on my bucket list.

Any of you Fools know whats biting in the Middle Keys right now? We have a group going down to Lower Matecumbe next Friday for a week to do some lobstering/fishing/misbehaving. One of my buddies has the bug thing under control since he has been doing it all his life.

Could use some fishing advice though since I have never been down there. We will be fishing in a pretty seaworthy 21CC. The general game plan at this point is to go for dolphin offshore (humps if weather permits) and chum the patch reefs for snapper.

Any tips?
  6. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,898
    hope that tropical storm doesn't mess things up for you.

click here for current info if nobody is on station with a live or recent report

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/forumdisplay.php?11-Keys-Fishing-Reports

not down there now but from years past (seems like a different lifetime ago) experience in that area

we often did well trolling big lip plugs around the patch reefs at high tide, usually in 20 - 35 feet of water looking for grouper. idea is to work the edges and pay attention to the side of the patch that casts long shadows. will lose some plugs to barricuda but grouper didn't like wire in clear water. fish with braid, use a shock leader and tighten down the drag.

if you fish the humps this time of year, deeper for blackfin was what I remember, keep an eye out for birds while there

birds and weedlines are always good, use blocks of minnows to use as chum to keep mahi in the slick if you get into them. If slow, drift with debrs line and chum with minnow and fish will find you. keep cut ballyhoo for chunks once you get them around the boat. for mahi, we always did better when we ran ballyhoo naked and just fast enough to make them skip. As long as sea conditions permitted it, skippers always seemed to outfish swimmers for the guy I used to fish with and he was a good captain. we usually trolled against the current, burned more fuel but you are fishing into the fish that way. Run one plug deep, on a planer if you are comfortable with that, for wahoo, definitely a wire leader on the plug. stop and let trolled lines settle on any pieces of debris, picked up some of our biggest mahi that way, they couldn't resist it when it fell to them but they were too sorry to swim up from 40 feet on a bright hot day.

be prepared to fish backcountry if the wind blows. moving water is what you are looking for

just my opinion...
  7. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +382
    Good luck on the lobster! I've been going down there (Summerland Key MM25) for just about 30 years and I have never seen such a bad lobster season. We have places we go to on the Gulf and Atlantic side that have produced more lobster than you can imagine, yet yielded ZERO lobster this year. Everyone that we talked to said about the same thing.

As far as the dolphin go, you might get some, but usually the fishing is best around May/June for the keys. My dad always goes down in May and does real well, but when I go down for mini-season at the end of July we usually don't do so hot.
  8. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,898
    I heard the same thing about lobster from a friend that has "private" reefs on the bay side. Dolphin will be fewer but should be bigger, and probably smarter, so technique becomes more critical.

if small snapper are eating your baits in the chum slick while anchored on the reef, try using sand bombs for weight, nice chunk of bait on line (min 24" flourocarbon leader) with no weight and pack a sand ball (sand,catfood, etc) around it and feed braided line to it till it hits bottom and explodes and releases your free floating bait (chunk of ballyhoo)to the bigger fish holding closer to the bottom. takes some prep work to make sand/chum mixture tight enough to form hard balls out of to use for weight but can be only way to get bait to more picky, bigger fish below.
  9. chicogator1

chicogator1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Awesome dang fish pics,we like to fish the St Johns,just before it dumps into Lake Monroe. Plenty of bass, crop pie,brim( sweetmeat) and some big dang gators.
  10. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +838
    Rella. . . .the mangrove and yt fishing should be great. Blackins will still be on the humps. The phins have been scattered and sometimes hard to find.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +656
    An old fishing fanatic roomate of mine back in the day was stationed in Homer (USCG) and brought back a cooler full of halibut fillets. In-freaking-credible. Ate it about everyday for a month. G8trgr8, you're a lucky man with those fine specimens. How does the ling cod taste? Those are some beats too.
  12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,898
    freshly caught (and processed) ling cod taste is similiar to halibut but the texture is different, not quite as flaky. kind of like snapper compared to grouper. total costs for 100 lbs of fillets, gas to/from Valdez, hotel room 2 nights, fishing trip and tip, fishing license, fish processing, fish boxes, and dry ice was more per pound than what I could buy it for but the experience is priceless (and that is with free lugage in first class for shipping it back)
  13. johnl

johnl Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +224
    Anyone fished the Roosevelt bridge in Stuart lately? Also, anything consistent offshore Fort Pierce-St. Lucie other than cobia in the 80-110ft range?
  14. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +218
    Thanks everyone for the advice, sounds like we are hearing the same thing. Patch reefs for YT and Mangos, humps for tuna, and the fin bite isnt very good.

I also heard the lobster population is way down this year, something about a virus.
  15. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +838
    We had a summer-doldrums day last Sat. . . . hot, stagnant, no current.
    So I tried something I never have before. I went to a deep drop spot I know about, though I do not deep drop fish nor have the electric reel. But without the current and with my Avet packed with braid.... I figured I could get down to the bottom.... 500'.
    It was work, but it worked.
    Ever drop we pulled up at least 2 tile fish.
    I didn't think to take a photo of them, but here is our handy work . . .

[​IMG]
  16. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +656
    Awesome. I heard tile fish taste incredible. Especially goldens.
  17. rburnett

rburnett Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +94
    let's stop "hearing" about how good fish tastes and go get some...
  18. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +838
    We didn't catch any goldens but what we did catch was unreal. It is right up there with African Pompano as my favorite.
  19. supagator

supagator Supa'star Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,929
    Have any of you tried permit, yummy!
  20. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +838
    I have had permit. Very good!

I went out today looking for tuna. Another slow current day. We did troll up some bonito and spanish macs, but could not find the tuna. So, we hit the tiles again. We ended with 13 of em. YUM!