The Fishing Fools Thread....

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by PMCGoldenEraG8R, Dec 10, 2008.

1. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,401
    No time right now. I'm giving the NW florida deer heard a chris rainey heads up.. "Time to die!"

Tuna will still be swimmin in DEC.
  2. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +12,617
    just rewatched it..at the end there is a view that shows what looks like a ladder being launched and crowning one of the guys in the head. still trying to figure out if the fish got off the hook or not
  3. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,401
    that's the back of the fighting chair.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +12,617
    yes it is. they must of pulled it and set it up on the shelf there. good eye...
  5. littlebluelw

littlebluelw Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,636
    ft. pierce when i was a kid, my dad went with a friend and caught his first sail. When his buddy went to grab the bill, the sail jumped and punctured his lung. He fell back into the boat and got back up, grabbed the leader again, wham, the sail jumped at him again, hit his sternum with the bill and broke off about two inches of the bill in his chest. Dad had never piloted a twin inboard but they got back to the dock while an ambulance waited. Took buddy to the er and removed the bill, patched him up and a few hours laterwe took pictures at the dock with thefish, my dad and buddy with a budweiser in one hand and a cigarette in the other. White gause patch on his chest and all.

For me, ive had a snowy grouper that weighed close to 100 pounds break his dorsal spine off in my wrist. Doctors in the er used vice grips to pull it out. Still have zero feeling in the inside of my right index finger.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +12,617
    took my 9 year old son out yesterday...filled the livewell with whitebait on one throw and then let my son throw his little 4' net a few times against the pilings and he caught a few...headed out for some of my favorite redfish holes to find them full of guided tourists so found spots where we could. first spot saw lots of dolphin, two manatees, and caught a few jacks...second spot the tide was moving out pretty good but we sliced and diced a lot of bait and got a good chum line going that brought the reds off the flats and into our hole as the tide was falling. caught 7 reds and lost a few more to the mangroves in around 2 hours, biggest was 32 inches which was a great fight for my son, cooked up two on the grill at halftime tonight and had blackened redfish, red beans and rice, and cornbread for dinner this pm..love taking my son fishing and he can't get enough
    • Like Like x 1
  7. deathroll

deathroll GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,871
    OK! For the very 1st time I have something to offer other than verbal descriptions and incredibly witty comments.

Video (my best friend Bob and his two children, 33 miles out in the gulf, last week) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1RlwhmhDJc
  8. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +12,617
    Looked like a good king too. That is some flat water for that far out.
  9. deathroll

deathroll GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,871
    Yes it was. Does not happen very often but last weekend was glass. They have video of the drive back and it looked like they were on a lake. Katie fell asleep up on the bow, with the throttle wide open!

We catch kings. Getting to see the cudas at the surface was cool for them (us). Also caught AJs on that trip.
  10. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +45
    Heading down to St. Pete this weekend and staying through the new year... bringing both my hobie outbacks... how is the water temp? Are snook still eating? I've heard its been a very warm december.
  11. jsc28

jsc28 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +299
    It has been pretty warm, but there is some cold weather coming in on saturday. That may shut things down for a few days.
  12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +12,617
    and snook season is still closed on the gulf so catch and release only.
  13. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +45
    I've actually never eaten one in my entire life.. think they should be completely protected everywhere.. really want to catch some because we don't get them in the panhandle.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +12,617
    Why do you think they deserve special status? Maybe you should eat one and that might change your mind. No amount of protection is going to extend their range...just too cold sensitive.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +45
    I just think they are a totally awesome inshore species.. you can catch redfish, specks, and tarpon almost anywhere from here through texas and up to the carolinas. Only in the southern parts of FL can you catch snook in this country. It's a preservation, tourism, local economy thing for me.

I think they should be protected the same as goliath grouper. Shouldn't even be allowed to take them out of the water (at least on the west coast).

I've heard they are good... I eat a ton of fresh scamp, gag, and red snapper.. how would you say it compares?
  16. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +12,617
    Better..but that is subjective. we catch quite a few on nearshore reefs too. Prior to the big freeze the population was doing good. Since then the reds have become more dominant as they are feasting on the bait without competetion from the snooker. Look for deep cuts close to shore and fish them slowly with at least 3' of 30 lb flourocarbon leader. They will be very tackle shy with cold snap. Deepestet docks with lights and handpicked shrimp St night might find some monsters but you better gear up and lock the drag down. Swift moving water near passes is usually best but ask the local bait shop.
  17. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +45
    We fished with this guy a few years ago "The Mad Snooker".. I learned about and caught more snook in 1 night than my whole life combined. My in laws live in a neighborhood with a lot of great canals and less than 1 mile from a huge mangrove preserve called Weedon Island. I've done really well there. Last thanksgiving when I was down there, I was fishing in my kayak and I heard a familiar voice from a boat close by. It was CA Richards from Flats Class... I think I was in a pretty good spot!

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  18. supagator

supagator Supa'star Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,230
    Living 10 miles from Sebastian inlet.. Has its perks.. Snook are everywhere and they taste real good. Chicken of the sea..
  19. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +12,617
    report????
  20. rburnett

rburnett GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +45
    Double coldfronts. Only fished 1 day and it started raining. Miserable!

Got back to Pensacola and sold both my Hobies (3200$). All reports going forward will be freshwater from TX.