The Fishing Fools Thread....

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by PMCGoldenEraG8R, Dec 10, 2008.

1. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +664
    Nice pictures; nice fish, Bay. Not familiar with "on the half shell". Do you have to scale 'em 1st? Seems like the scales would dry out and flake-off everywhere. No?
  2. PD

PD VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +12,141
    Curious, what do you use for bait to get that many big mullet?
  3. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +872
    Nice haul! I've been in the Panhandle all of my life except 4.5 yrs in Gainesville. So I've caught and eaten my fair share of mullet. A tip I learned last yr from a subcontractor who smokes them and sells them to restaurants...

When they are just out of the net (or off the hook) put your thumb in their mouth and bend their head back so it touches their back. It breaks their neck and opens the blood vessels. Drop the in a bucket of water for 5 mintutes and bleed them out. AMAZING difference in taste. Alot less fishy - especially when caught in muddy water. Of couse some like the distinct mullet flavor.
  4. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +609
    Big loaf of Cuban bread????
  5. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,095
    Thanks! Don't scale or skin them - cut the whole fillet off. Rinse them well and let them soak in ice water for a day before cooking. Drain them well, season/baste with your favorite goodies and then put them scale-side down on the grill. Don't flip them! You may like to baste them lightly again while they're cooking. Fillets are done when the thickest part starts firming up and the meat will flake away with a fork instead of tearing.

Plate them scale side down and use a fork to pull the meat up from the skin - comes up easy. It all stays intact remarkably well on a redfish, and cooking them on the half-shell helps keep the moisture and flavor in the fish. My second favorite way to cook them, fried being #1, of course. :yes:

Mullet are great the same way, but follow 7-5's advice...break em first, then let the fillets soak in ice water for a day. Great smoked or grilled that way...enjoy!
  6. rburnett

rburnett Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    I've never eaten mullet... True yankee for life
  7. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,095
    I think it's time to give them a shot, burnett!
  8. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +208
    We chummed em up with a mix of layer mash and oatmeal. Then when you get them nice and worked up, you hook a tiny piece of a white plastic worm and attach a bobber.

Thats great info 7_5 we will have to try that next time.
  9. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
    You have got to try smoked mullet at least once in your life. I bet it won't be the last time.
  10. deathroll

Ratings Received:
    +664
    Why the 1 day soak? What's that do?
  11. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,095
    Just a personal preference, I suppose. It helps pull blood out of the meat and firms up the fillets a bit. I do this whether I'm cooking it the next day or vacuum sealing it for the freezer. I do the same thing with venison, but it stays in ice water for three days or so before I process it.
  12. PD

PD VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +12,141
    Thanks for the reply....I wonder if that would work to chum up finger mullet to net for bait....
  13. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,379
    no pics to post yet but I got a 118 lb and a 48 lb halibut yesterday in Valdez Alaska. I also had two ling cod with one in the 50 pound class. 135 pounds of fillets processed and in the freezer to bring home. We went over to the hatchery with the kids and snagged pink salmon for fun till a bear ran us off the beach. Must have caught 30 in 30 minutes but wife doesn't really like pinks so we did catch and release only. We have a trip on Friday for silver salmon but they are running late this year so expectations are not high. Hopefully a big slug is headed up river right now. Will post some pics when I get a chance.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. g8tr96

g8tr96 Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +574
  15. deathroll

Ratings Received:
    +664
    Fun video. Thanks. Guess when he says he "jumped" a fish, he ain't lyin'.
  16. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,566
    Finally got out for a few hours of fishing this afternoon. Bonito were thick, so we kept a couple for strip bait. The first strip I put down on a 6oz. weight got hit just above the bottom in 180'. It wasn't what I expected.... a fiesty sail. We got him in for a clean release. After that we got a couple kings, almacos, more bonito and a few bottom fish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +208
    Requesting a name change to AKA AllIDoIsCatchSails. Bottom fishing for sails with stripped bonita, ill have to try that technique lol.
  18. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,566
    LOL! I was surprised.... I had it in the sand outside the reef in 195'! I saw the rod bend as I was putting out a flat line. I came tight thinking and hoping I had a mutton.... then the line started to rise and thing began jumping all over the place. I will never complain about catching a sailfish though!
  19. bludigal

bludigal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Just got back from Boca Grande Pass a few weeks back. I had begged my father to take me down there to check it out about 30 years ago after reading about it in Florida Sportsman. I remember my old man moaning about the toll bridge. As soon as we got there 2 guys pull up on the beach to show their girl friends their 100 Pound plus Tarpon and do pictures prior to release. My old man was like ok, that was worth it. Well we never mad it back to fish until this year.

I just caught a couple of out of season groupers. But my old man caught about a 65 pound Tarpon. Bucket List, check.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +741
    Just got back from my yearly week-long keys trip for lobster mini-season. Not good. The lobster were scarce and the fishing wasn't that much better. We actually only went out 1 day for lobster and it was the worst its ever been.

We usually go yellowtail fishing when we're down there and we usually do pretty well. This year we only got about 50 total over 4 days. Also, the biggest we got was just under 16 inches. I think most of the problem was the tide/currents. We aren't experts by any means, but we usually know when the tides/currents are working against us, and they were the whole time we were down there.

[​IMG]

Two of our *bigger* fish. :whoa:
    • Like Like x 1