The Fishing Fools Thread....

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by PMCGoldenEraG8R, Dec 10, 2008.

1. PMCGoldenEraG8R

PMCGoldenEraG8R Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    Hoops, that fish really does have some pretty colors and Jup...wow! Beautiful snook!

Speed, I can't believe that shark! :shiver: After the movie, "Jaws", I didn't swim in the waters off Daytona Beach for awhile. I got over that, and I've had fun in the water over the last few years. Uh, I don't think I'll be doing any body surfing in the near future!

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  2. vertigo0923

vertigo0923 night owl mod VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,906
    we used to do a lot of canal fishing behind my dad's canal home. i miss that. i'm not good at this 'freshwater fishing' stuff, not having had much experience with lures, or worms or what not.
    i long for the day i can once again use live shrimp and pull in a few spotted seatrout.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +829
    We need to get this thread bttt!

Anyone fishing?? Too windy down here. :(
    • Like Like x 1
  4. g8rnbft

g8rnbft VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +117
    No fish pictures until I see what can be retrieved from the crashed harddrive - but here is an example of the shrimp we catch up here from Sept. to December.[​IMG][/IMG]
  5. g8rnbft

g8rnbft VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +117
    My neighbor's son and I caught 18 Black drum today. Eight released to remain legal - six dispatched along with cole slaw and hushpuppies.[​IMG][/IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  6. GatorLane77

GatorLane77 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +27
    I bet that fish gets all the ladies!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +215
    I had a great day offshore this last Friday, it was probably the best weather day in the month of December EVER! It was variable winds and in the mid 70's and just a perfect day weather wise. We went off about 30 miles to our favorite grouper spot, threw out the buoy on a good looking rock, then dropped the anchor. Then we had one of the most ferocious groper bites I can remember, it was like they hadn't eaten in weeks. We caught 18 keepers in 2 hours and made it back to the dock at 1pm. I really think we could have reeled in 40 if we stayed around, but 18 is an insane amount of grouper fillets. We have been handing them out to all of our friends for Christmas presents :) Just an outstanding day on the water. I will get pics posted when I get them.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  8. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +829
    Nice day Rella!!

I took my brother-in-law out fishing today. Beautifil day on the water, but fishing was so-so. Our first drop produced a triple header of AJs (15-20lbs). After that, the bite slowed and we moved to the inside reef. We caught 8 or so short grouper and a Cuda, before deciding to move out deep again.

We were about to call it quits when the deep rod doubles over. We fought it for 15 minutes or so, thinking it was nice BIG grouper.
    Nope.
    It was a shark. I have caught contless sharks, but this was the first TIger Shark caught on my boat. So, I would have preferred a grouper... but it was pretty cool to see.

It was probably somewhere between 80-100lbs.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  9. PMCGoldenEraG8R

Ratings Received:
    +99
    Husband, son and his wife went fishing in the flats in the Gulf several times last week. One day was very foggy and they caught a few trout. Last outing produced no fish, but it was "a beautiful boat ride." My husband says that sarcastically when there are no fish caught. I had fun babysitting my 7 1/2 month old grandson. :)

Hoops, that shark is beautiful AND scary! Wow!

gtrnbft, what the heck is coming out of that fish? Is that for real? LOL...!

rella....I'm glad you had a great day and I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures!

Happy New Year everyone! I hope 2009 will bring you many great days of fishing!
    [​IMG]
  10. sneakygator

sneakygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +314
    Been gone for a while but good to see this thread is back and as good as ever.

Went out last weekend and found a few reds to play with. Fishing has been pretty slow but the trout have been pretty thick here.

Great pics as usual by everyone.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. PMCGoldenEraG8R

Ratings Received:
    +99
    Glad to see you back Sneaky!

g8rnbft, those shrimp are huge! Where do you catch them? Where is "up here?" :)

12. g8rnbft

g8rnbft VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +117
    PMC - for some reason black drum , when you touch them, expel a portion of their lower digestive tract - if you get my drift. Put them in the icechest and look in 2 minutes - its no longer expelled.

Up here is Beaufort S.C. - about half way between Charleston and Savannah. We have a 60 day "shrimp baiting" season in the fall where we are allowed a 48 quart ice chest of shrimp per day. They are caught by cast net - mostly at night - in shallow (2-6 ft ) water. Lots of fun and a good excuse to be on the water at night and drink beer and tell stories.

I usually put 150 - 200 quarts in the freezer every year - use them for Xmas/birthday gifts for the kids and friends - plus we eat them about twice a week
  13. PMCGoldenEraG8R

Ratings Received:
    +99
    Wow nbft! I didn't know that about the black drums! Amazing!

I lived in Spartanburg, SC for a year many years ago. A wonderful place to live with super nice people! We loved our year there.

I have a birthday in the summer. Can I have some shrimp too? :) I love shrimp cooked every way possible! Sounds like a great time with a generous outcome of shrimp! Lucky you and your family benefits from it also! Wonderful! :)
  14. g8rnbft

g8rnbft VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +117
    My favorite shrimp dish - outside of fried - is Fra Diavolo.

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
    1 (16 ounce) package linguini pasta
    1 pound cooked and peeled shrimp
    8 cloves crushed garlic
    2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
    1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes with garlic
    2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
    2 fluid ounces red wine (optional)
    Add to Recipe Box
    My folders:

Add to Shopping List
    Add a Personal Note

DIRECTIONS
    Peel and cook shrimp if necessary, and place in a bowl of cold water.
    Place tomatoes, crushed garlic, red pepper flakes, and wine in a 3 quart sauce pan. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    While sauce is simmering, cook linguini according to package directions. When pasta is almost done, drain shrimp and place in the bottom of a large colander. Drain the pasta over the shrimp. Transfer pasta with shrimp to a large serving bowl, and toss together with some sauce. Serve remaining sauce on the side.

Who is the "Red" in your signature - looks familiar.
  15. AUalumna05

AUalumna05 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +115
    Finally ventured back over for a bit.... lol

Thanks for the kind words on my pics, Hoops and PMC!! Much appreciated. :) Seeing this thread, reading the stories and seeing all the new pics is making me want to get back out on the water again soon! lol I haven't been lately, but the past couple of trips weren't very successful -- more of just a day to relax by the water than anything. :)

My primary fishing buddy is now down in Gulf Shores with his son for the week and has been fishing some. Unfortunately, when he called yesterday he said they're still "fishless." lol Hopefully they'll have a successful trip soon, but he said he thinks it's because he doesn't have his good luck charm (me) down there. He always outfishes me when we go together, so as far as he's concerned, I'm a good luck charm. lol

Maybe I can get back to the lake sometime soon and try again. :) I just love getting out there, even when I don't catch anything.

nbft -- Great pics!! Those shrimp look very nice. It must be great living in an area where you can catch so many and have such fun with it. :) Good to see a pic of a black drum, too! One of my fishing buddies has mentioned catching them in the past, but that's the first time I've seen one.
  16. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +215
    I went fishing out of Waccassaa this last wednesday and had a great day. We were polling around on our favorite spot and there were just redfish everywhere! It is great when you can look out and see like 6 different reds tailing and just feeding like crazy, it makes the fishing just so exciting. We caught 10 legal sized reds kept three and released the rest including two monster twin 34'' reds which crashed our Excaliburs right after sunrise (pics below).

We also had something interesting happen. While I was in the back of the boat polling a tail popped up about ten feet away from me and since my two buddies were in the front of the boat locked in on a couple reds, I decided to go ahead and catch it. It was a nice 23.5 '' red, which filled out our limit of 3 reds. AT LEAST 30 minuets later my buddy reeled in a beautiful 26 3/4'' red. Torn because we had filled our limit 30 minutes earlier we were just about to release this beautiful red when we hear a fish flipping in cooler. So I open the cooler and decide it is at least worth a shot at reviving him, although we realized it was a long shot at best. And much to our surprise after I worked on him for about 45 seconds he swam off! We couldn't freaking believe it. So we got to keep the big one, and that my friends is the tale of the luckiest redfish in the history of redfishing. The sucker was on ice for at least 30 min probably more and lived, AMAZING.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  17. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +829
    Nice catch....

Great story about that Red. Lucky fish, but he may be a bit brain damaged! :)
  18. AUalumna05

AUalumna05 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +115
    Awesome story, Rella. :) Congrats on your catches, as well as your friends'. Great pictures, too! They look beautiful.

I had some whiting for supper tonight, courtesy of a previous vacation's catch made by my primary fishing buddy. Delicious. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  19. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +215
    Has anyone used a lure called a Bite Light? Apparently it is a lure with a red light that flashes only when it is in the water, and the fish think it is a wounded bait and eat it. Cool idea for a fishing lure, maybe a little gimmicky for my taste as I usually stay away from the "as seen on tv" products especially with fishing. But the lure was at least affective enough to be banned in Wyoming, and I just wanted to see if any of you have used it. Here is a link to the article I read about it.

Bite Light
  20. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +829
    Went fishing yesterday... kinda frustrating day. I took a friend out who is down for the game. First drop hooked into something HUGE. Battled for a few minutes then cut off clean. I suspected a big Wahoo, but not sure. Next drop, another hook-up. Bring the fish to the boat expecting AJ or Bonito... instead, WAHOO!! By the time I reached for the gaff, it gave a boatside headshake and threw the hook.... UGH!!! I will not make that mistake again.
    After that we got a yellowtail snapper. The wind picked up and pushed the seas to 4+ ft. My buddy started turning green, so we went in.