The FBI sent someone to help spy on the Trump campaign?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator_fever, May 11, 2018.

1. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,907
    About That FBI ‘Source’

Among them is that the Justice Department and Federal Bureau of Investigation outright hid critical information from a congressional investigation. In a Thursday press conference, Speaker Paul Ryan bluntly noted that Intelligence Chairman Devin Nunes’s request for details on this secret source was “wholly appropriate,” “completely within the scope” of the committee’s long-running FBI investigation, and “something that probably should have been answered a while ago.” Translation: The department knew full well it should have turned this material over to congressional investigators last year, but instead deliberately concealed it.

House investigators nonetheless sniffed out a name, and Mr. Nunes in recent weeks issued a letter and a subpoena demanding more details. Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein’s response was to double down—accusing the House of “extortion” and delivering a speech in which he claimed that “declining to open the FBI’s files to review” is a constitutional “duty.” Justice asked the White House to back its stonewall. And it even began spinning that daddy of all superspook arguments—that revealing any detail about this particular asset could result in “loss of human lives.”

The bureau already has some explaining to do. Thanks to the Washington Post’s unnamed law-enforcement leakers, we know Mr. Nunes’s request deals with a “top secret intelligence source” of the FBI and CIA, who is a U.S. citizen and who was involved in the Russia collusion probe. When government agencies refer to sources, they mean people who appear to be average citizens but use their profession or contacts to spy for the agency. Ergo, we might take this to mean that the FBI secretly had a person on the payroll who used his or her non-FBI credentials to interact in some capacity with the Trump campaign.

This would amount to spying, and it is hugely disconcerting. It would also be a major escalation from the electronic surveillance we already knew about, which was bad enough. Obama political appointees rampantly “unmasked” Trump campaign officials to monitor their conversations, while the FBI played dirty with its surveillance warrant against Carter Page, failing to tell the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court that its supporting information came from the Hillary Clinton campaign. Now we find it may have also been rolling out human intelligence, John Le Carré style, to infiltrate the Trump campaign.
    -------------------------

This spying scandal is looking even worse for the FBI and I doubt Nunes will let this go. Quite a few people are convinced the person the FBI used is Stefan Halper which like Christopher Steele checks off the boxes with his actions and his dislike of Trump.
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. gator_fever

Ratings Received:
    +5,907
    EXCLUSIVE: A London Meeting Before The Election Aroused George Papadopoulos’s Suspicions

3/25/18

Two months before the 2016 election, George Papadopoulos received a strange request for a meeting in London, one of several the young Trump adviser would be offered — and he would accept — during the presidential campaign.

The meeting request, which has not been reported until now, came from Stefan Halper, a foreign policy expert and Cambridge professor with connections to the CIA and its British counterpart, MI6.

Halper’s September 2016 outreach to Papadopoulos wasn’t his only contact with Trump campaign members. The 73-year-old professor, a veteran of three Republican administrations, met with two other campaign advisers, The Daily Caller News Foundation learned.

Papadopoulos now questions Halper’s motivation for contacting him, according to a source familiar with Papadopoulos’s thinking. That’s not just because of the randomness of the initial inquiry but because of questions Halper is said to have asked during their face-to-face meetings in London.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +25,168
    This could be a horrendous abuse of power... or potentially normal police work.

We know that multiple foreign intelligence agencies monitoring Russian agents contacted the OA about suspicious communications between Russian agents and Trump campaign officials.

What would the next steps be? Warrants for surveillance of the suspected criminals? At what point would undercover investigation be deemed appropriate?

If these were employees of a defense contractor, would we question surveillance or undercover investigation?

How/why should we treat political campaign officials differently?

On the flip side, when there is congressional investigation into what the FBI is doing, they should be required to present the information to that committee... possibly with some redaction and/or treating secret information appropriately.

The FBI can't be above investigation. If they were just on a politically motivated fishing expedition it needs to come out and be dealt with. If they were just doing their jobs investigation potential collusion with foreign agents, the committee should accept that and move on. Of course, the FBI is no doubt worried that the committee will misrepresent whatever they have for political purposes as Nunes has already demonstrated multiple times.

Politics mucking up what should be legit law enforcement. Potentially in both investigations - by the FBI and by this committee.

My .02.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Balbanes

Balbanes Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +863
    Long story short:

House intelligence committee subpeona'd stuff from the FBI, FBI said no thanks, author writes multiple speculative paragraphs about what could be going on.

This is very old news. Everyone knows the Nunez crew has been fighting to investigate the FBI and protect the president, while the FBI has been fighting to investigate Russian involvement/collusion.

Also Nunez has zero credibility whatsoever--not that it has anything to do with this story. If the FBI says they can't disclose information at this time because it will risk human lives, then I believe them. It comes down to who you trust more, the House or the FBI.

Neither choice is perfect, but the House clearly has an agenda whereas it is significantly less clear if the FBI has one.
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  5. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,497
    What should be becoming more clear by the day is that both sides of the aisle of filthy dirty. How anyone can point to the other side and call them out for something without realizing that their own side does the exact same thing is amazing.
    Politics is no longer a way of selecting and running our country. It is big business, money making, sleezeballs that would make the Las Vegas mob look like choir boys.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gator_fever

Ratings Received:
    +5,907
    More will come out but that looks like a scandal of huge proportions to me when you have US Intelligence agencies pulling crap like this against people that are in the running to be POTUS. The links with the Clinton crony Fusion GPS people are too obvious also.

The thing that surprises me the most is the arrogance of our Intelligence agencies to not to try to even cover their tracks good in a scheme like this. Its like they really believed they were untouchable. I guess they got that feeling under the Obama administration with what went on with the IRS in 2012 etc. I am sure they were a little crooked under Bush also. Post 9/11 they seemed to think they werent accountable for anything.
    • Winner Winner x 4
  7. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +14,818
    If more comes out and people are held accountable then awesome.

But the “Defend Trump at any cost, including the FBI’s reputation” parade that Nunes has been the head baton twirler for isnt helping anything, it’s making things worse. He isn’t interested in truth, he’s only interested in politics and protecting the president. So the FBI is viewing him adversarily, which he is only using to drum up more of the witch hunt/bias narrative. None of this is helping the country, nor are speculative articles like this.
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. gator_fever

Ratings Received:
    +5,907
    My problem on this is its something that should never happen in this country. They knew that mess was Clinton funded nonsense pretty quickly yet went all in on this.

The 1st big IG report mostly on the Clinton investigation is coming out soon and even liberal sources are saying they are being told by sources it makes the FBI look really bad including Comey. I think that is just the warmup however as the part that deals with the FISA illegal spying abuses doesn't come until later and they are still looking into that even now with a prosecutor assigned.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,305
    I realize how this is going to sound before I even write it, but why don’t we wait until the investigations release their findings before loudly proclaiming which is a witch hunt and which is going to lead to jail time?
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  10. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +16,625
    that's assuming the FBI is on one side of the aisle.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. gator_fever

Ratings Received:
    +5,907
    What is already out there should 100% lead to jail time but due to the players involved it wouldn't 100% shock me if they just put out scathing reports because of the implications of locking some of the people up. Maybe Sessions will show some honor and actually allow the prosecutors to haul these people in front of a grand jury.

I think if the lower level participants sing on the higher ups it might need to be given to a special counsel if they are going after anyone above Comey in the chain however since the current prosecutor served under Sally Yates and Lynch etc. If it just goes after Comey and people below him then no special counsel would be needed and the DOJ could just prosecute their own crooks like they usually do.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,524
    They are relative to the investigation - Republican
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +25,168
    I am in wait and see mode. Way too much political bias and media bias all the way around for me to feel like I know what's really going on.

I know there definitely could be corruption in any of these investigations, as well as legit work being done. There is almost certainly both.

Probably partisans on each side will believe only the dirt on the other side even as both sides come up dirty... nature of partisan politics in general, but especially in these particularly divisive days.
  14. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +11,305
    Again, I don’t really trust you or any partisan on this board to make a fair judgement in the middle of an investigation. Fred would sound exactly like you, but for the other side.

Remember how just a few days ago it was a clear overreach to raid the offices of Cohen??
  15. gator_fever

Ratings Received:
    +5,907
    We dont know what got that warrant approved but it wouldn't surprise me if its a Mueller overreach and like Manafort had nothing to do with really looking into Russian Trump collusion but was just looking into Cohen himself. But at least it was related to the campaign time frame unlike Manafort.

Heck Mueller knows it must have nothing to do with collusion or he never passes the stuff on to NY. I have a feeling now that the judges are looking into what actually went on with these investigations and the original mandate that Flynn and Manafort may never even get sentenced.
  16. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +11,305
    Mueller can’t approve a warrant, so regardless it isn’t his overreach. And by what we are now finding out about Cohen, I think we can assume that there’s no overreach needed. Dude is dirty. And I agree that there is no clear link to Trump, but that doesn’t mean that Cohens rights have been violated, as was the right’s claim.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +16,625
    You're under the impression that it was Mueller's team that raided Cohen's office?
  18. gator_fever

Ratings Received:
    +5,907
    Its even worse if this is the spy the FBI used with him paying for Papadopoulos to travel to London and to write a policy paper on Israel before interacting with him there. I would be really surprised if the FBI didnt fund that mess to get him over there to talk with him so they could add that nonsense to their illegal FISA warrant application.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. gator_fever

Ratings Received:
    +5,907
    Mueller would have known it was something that he shouldn't have his team doing since he had been getting all the pushback on his stuff not being collusion related.
  20. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +16,625
    is there something Mueller should have done differently with Cohen's case?