The disengaged obama

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by g8orbill, Nov 2, 2013.

1. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,523
  2. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,315
    They were powerless before Syria came along and gave them an opportunity to fight, and people desperate enough to accept their help (after the west abandoned them). Had Obama provided even minimal support to Syria (the way he did for Libya, which was what the Syrian rebels expected him to do), the rebels never would have turned to AQ and ISIS/ISIL. Claiming that ISIS/ISIL was GWB's fault is similar to claiming that Obama struck a major blow against terrorism by having a retired AQ leader killed, right before trading 5 Taliban commanders for an army deserter. Not everything that happens or originates in Iraq can or should be tagged on GWB. Anyone who does so is obviously immature and not ready for foreign policy discussions.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. chemgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,315
    The right can paint with a broad brush and say that everything that happens after Jan 21, 2009 is Obama's fault. Rarely is good artwork (or in this case, the truth) painted with a broad brush. Besides, I thought the left prided itself on being able to see the "nuanced version" of history, you know, the one where Obama is not a failure.

ISIL/ISIS is not about religion. It's about power. They don't even understand Islam. Muslims all over the ME have rejected them as crazy terrorists. They want to be dictators, and are hoping that they can appeal to Muslims to support them in their power grab.
  4. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,648
    Those two things are not mutually exclusive. The last sentence makes no sense.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. chemgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,315
    Editorials in the newspapers in the middle east make it clear that the official opinion is that IS (which is their name for the terrorist group) is very un-Islamic. Yesterday's headlines in the Arab News included "Nothing Islamic about this Caliphate" and today's included "Being a good Muslim" (also about why IS is bad).

I say they don't understand Islam because they are simply using Islam to attract outsiders to help them fight for their religion, even though the outsiders don't know that they are simply fighting to put the next dictator in power. Beheading journalists is not recommended in the Koran.
  6. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,648
    Heck Chem, they have been saying that about each other for a long time. This group is wrong or that group is wrong. Kind of like other religions.
  7. chompalot

chompalot Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +494
    Hindsight is 20/20. Too bad Reagan didn't have it when he gave all those weapons to the freedom fighters to fight the Ruskis in Afghanistan. You know, the ones that became the Taliban and AQ. It was Obama's desire to try to deescalate that Syrian War. He had no desire to throw more weapons into it. Unfortunately, Qatar and Saudi Arabia had other ideas. Hopefully, everybody is now on the same page and we'll be able to obliterate ISIL.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. dynogator

dynogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +297
    Is the world burning? I only live 30 miles from DC, I should be able to see the smoke.

Seriously, plank, read some history.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +11,523
    hell, the ........ can't lead, so let him play golf
  10. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +11,523
    On one hand Obama says we will destroy ISIS and then later in the same speech he says we have to manage ISIS- I think Obama is not only disengaged but confused
  11. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,388
    When he is reading the TelePrompTer he is giving the US official position. When he gets questions he is speaking how he really feels.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,901
    You mean the AQ that was defeated by the sunni tribes before 0 supported Maliki marginalized them and 0 stood by and kept writing Maliki checks?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. tjgators

tjgators Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,043
    Can't trust the guy. The fact that he has no plan as our commander in chief with what is going on with ISIS is hard to believe. Christians are being persecuted overseas. Our border is a joke. The latest journalist to be taken was a graduate of our University. Crazy any American would be beheaded, but a Gator really hits home. I have a bunch of buddies that have served and they cannot stand the President. He is such a joke.
  14. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,050
    I thought it was a self photo he sent Bill which was taken right after the Zimmerman verdict came down.:p
    • Like Like x 2
  15. BastogneGator

BastogneGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +825
    Wow, a deflection on the first page
  16. BastogneGator

Ratings Received:
    +825
    May have to revisit this in a few years. I have a feeling history is going to be unkind to Obama
  17. vertigo0923

vertigo0923 night owl mod VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,695

obviously obvious?

(one of my favorite 'take downs' around here is the 'opinion' that if one person doesn't agree with another, then 'that person is obviously immature", and not ready to discuss things on the same intellectual level...this happens most often regarding foreign policy, and it's just funny stuff. people can't possibly just hold different or opposing views, it has to do with either being intellectually handicapped, or immaturity)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. BastogneGator

Ratings Received:
    +825
    They are an outgrowth of AQ. They are a really a sequel to AQ-I but only by geography...
  19. BastogneGator

Ratings Received:
    +825
    You mean the total collapse of the Russian economy at the cost of a few stinger missiles and some assorted small arms? Seems like a pretty good investment. Did we "screw up the end game"? Maybe, but I think Reagan achieved his strategic objectives in regard to the Soviets. If you blame Reagan for Usama why not blame Operation Desert Storm. Maybe the Iraqis would have killed him in Saudi Arabia had they been able to invade.
  20. chompalot

chompalot Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +494
    I wonder what Reagan would have done different if he would have known all of the ramifications. Russia's demise was inevitable without Afghanistan. Especially if all it took was a "few stinger missiles" to defeat them.