The Difference Between Meyer And Muschamp...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by DeBigLeezard, Jan 16, 2014.

1. ufrc86

ufrc86 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +80
    C'mon, this is FSU we are talking about. They give diplomas to people with degrees in circus acts.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. Distant Gator

Distant Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +751
    Ya'll are forgetting the biggest reason for FSU's success- their incredibly easy schedule.

That could make many teams look good- including the top 10-15 of the country. Hopefully Louisville can give the Crims a game next year.
  3. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,611
    My comment wasn't really about FSU--rather in spite of FSU. The dude cannot comprise a Tweet, without mutilating the language; not sure he can even assemble, let alone articulate, a complete sentence--but that's besides the point.

Winston has one foot out the door already. You have to know that. 2 years, and gone. If he could, he'd have jumped ship this year. He is going the way of Johnny Football...then Darren Sharper--(though I'm gonna' guess on a much faster track to his ultimate destiny, than Sharper). :)
  4. FakeRickSutcliffe

FakeRickSutcliffe Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    Exactly. I was going to post something along these lines and you beat me to it.

I saw Urban Meyer eating at Ballyhoo's a whole bunch of times. The first time I saw him he passed right by my table with a group on the way out, and he was not immersed in conversation or anything -- it seemed like it might be okay to grab a quick handshake, so I went for it. I said, "So honored to meet you Coach, thanks for all you do for us!" He shook my hand and said, "Thank YOU! Go Gators."

After that I saw him there on quite a few other occasions. I'd had my turn so I never approached him again but I saw many others do it, including while he was still at his table and even when he was literally in the act of putting food in his mouth. He was always pretty short with his greetings but I never once saw him blow somebody off. Obviously I can't say that he was never, ever rude to anyone, but if he was that's not consistent with what I witnessed.

So since I'm not necessarily convinced that Will Muschamp is friendlier than Urban Meyer, I can't agree with the OP's argument that Muschamp will turn out to be a successful coach for us. Also, it's a really bad argument anyway.

Who are generally regarded as the very best coaches in the NCAA and NFL right now? Nick Saban and Bill Belichick, respectively. Good luck getting a handshake and friendly greeting from either of those two. They're not exactly known for their warmth.

You know who I recall as being about the friendliest coach ever? Cam Cameron, who coached my Dolphins in 2007. Super friendly guy. Could not have been friendlier. 1 win, 15 losses. But really, REALLY......friendly.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. chunks1

chunks1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,271
    The Pope is a nice guy too but he dont know anything about winning football games
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. FakeRickSutcliffe

FakeRickSutcliffe Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    Yeah, based on the OP's criteria maybe we should hire Joel Olsteen as our next coach?
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,067
    Oklahoma state and ND should challenge them quite well
  8. regator

regator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +309
    Difference is one is a weird dude but a good coach when we hired him.
    The other is a good guy which Foley thinks would be a good fit for UF which he hopes can become a good head coach.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +944
    Meyer won it all with Zooks guys and again with his own.

He has won everywhere he has been. You play to win the game, he did and we have two crystal balls to show for it.
    Without him, the Noles would be ahead of us in titles and that would truly suck.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. og8trz

og8trz VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
    Meyer was perhaps the best recruiter we have ever had. He won two NCs in 6 years. It never bothered me that neither he nor SOS patted me on the back, or knew my name. CWM recruits well on the defensive side, but we desperately need playmakers on O and I don't see them in this class as of now.

CWM won 11 games primarily with Meyer recruits. I hope he succeeds, but assuming he needs 8 wins minimum next year, he needs to beat 1 of, Bama, F$U, USCe, LSU, or UGA. Will we be favored in any of those games?
  11. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,611
    We won't be favored against Bama or LSU because they come early--too early for the public to know what's cook'n in Gainvesville.

I expect the Gators to win each of those games individually/independently. They may drop one--that happens; part of playing in the SEC--but I think we should win most if not all of those games (and obviously the others as well).

...and FSU? Barring any major injuries (since they are the last game of the season), we should retake Zook field handily.

GO GATORS!!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. tideh8rGator

tideh8rGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +473
    rural liar's career at theosu is 1/2 done. 2 more years tops. The wheels have started to come off.

Muschamp WILL, IMO, survive next year.

A GREAT coach does not go 4-8, a POOR coach does not go 11-2. His absolute value is in-between as an on-the-field coach. But NO coach can coach away injuries all the way down to the 3rd string.

Muschamp has his strength in recruiting and in character and image-forming of the program. The strengths the OP give him credit for. A coach like that who can get superlative talent, who has any coaching skills at all, can build a program and win a lot. Especially when rivals are down. He will have a sliding gump, an overrated l$u, a down Tennessee, an aging HBC, a resurgent uga, and a DANGEROUS clown school in his path. He can be 9-2 next year. Or 6-5. He won't lose to a Georgia Southern again.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 All Glory to Zarathustra VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,729
    Urban was

Urban was good friends with the owners of Ballyhoos. I happen to know this couple through other associations so that opened the door to Urban.He really is a good guy.

The one thing you never do is disturb any celebrity at dinner or talk football with a football coach. It's rude and its boring.

Urban was never happy in Gainesville. He is a cold weather type of guy. He was also very prickly about the press.

My only criticism is when he first stepped down he should have stayed stepped down. He would have been better of and we would have been better off. The man was suffering from the effects of stress and anxiety. He is young.
    Coming back didn't help him at all. It hurt us as well.

I wish the man the best. The only reservation I have is Big 10 fans are the most obnoxious fans in the county. And that is saying a lot, coming from a person who thinks almost all fans are obnoxious, including at UF and particularly here on GC.
  14. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 All Glory to Zarathustra VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,729
    I agree.
    I expect nothing less than a 10 win season next year.
    I also expect FSU to collapse. But I say this with nothing but respect for what Jimbo Fisher did last year. He just will not be able to replicate it.
  15. tgatorstew

tgatorstew Member

Ratings Received:
    +45
    The biggest difference is two national championships for Meyer. None for Muschamp.