The Difference Between Meyer And Muschamp...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by DeBigLeezard, Jan 16, 2014.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,963
    Maybe then he'll be ready for his real dream job - Notre Dame.

Playing service academies and some hand picked ACC teams should look pretty good to him after his "tough" schedule in the B1G. But he'll probably cancel the USC rivalry. ;) Go undefeated and lobby for the playoff. That's the game.
  2. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +380
    Thank you....
    Uh....yes.... Thank you.
    Look at Petrino... would anyone of us, really, truly want this guy, on National television.... representing the Gator Nation? Does anyone.... anyone think that there is a soul in Arkansas that would want "Scooter Man" to be at their school?
  3. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +562
    At the same time, Ealey wasn't hurt and it was payback for Ealey spitting in Spike's face. Not saying it was right but that kind of stuff happens all the time in football.

I've heard rumors of Harvin and a position coach getting into an altercation as well as Harvin getting into altercations with other players, but where are the "credible reports". I have little doubt that Harvin and some of the other players were treated differently and even apparently let a small group of players take over the team. I think I said that in my comments.That was definitely a problem and probably Meyers' big mistake at UF.

I think it was more of a statement than anything. Kind of like the small kid walking up and punching the biggest kid in the mouth to show how tough he is. I'm not discrediting Muschamp for doing that, but I wonder if he'd take that same course of action now if Jenkins was his star CB and he didn't have a capable back-up behind him. My guess is the punishment would be a little less severe now, but who knows.

Dunker was let go because of multiple ARRESTS! Not because he didn't put team first. As far as the other guys, a lot of the punishments are mandated for drug tests by the school, SEC or NCAA. It may look like Muschamp is being tough but in reality, he's typically not the one making those decisions.

Football player fights happen almost nightly at every campus. Very rarely does anything come of that unless the police are involved or somebody gets hurt or presses charges. And as far as "inquiries of other discretions", most coaches aren't going to suspend or kick a player off the team for being questioned by police. I'm not sure any coach, including Muschamp would have suspended or kicked Hernandez off the team for being questioned unless they had reason to believe the player was involved. Hernandez wasn't accused of anything, just questioned. That didn't even become an issue until the murder in Boston and people started digging.

Now I will give you that I believe Meyer probably hid some drug test results for Hernandez, Harvin and others. And if they have evidence of that, Meyer should get in trouble for that. But I do agree that winning was his biggest concern, but that's what he gets paid for.

But most of the stuff that went on at UF, as far as legal stuff, when Meyer was here was really no different than any other school. It all really just came to light when people started looking deeper into Hernandez once he was charged in the murder.

Hindsight is 20/20. But with what we all knew at the time and what most of us would think now if some of the stuff hadn't come to the surface because of Hernandez, I bet most people here would have said Meyer was a really good disciplinarian.
  4. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +380

Regarding integrity.... Glad that you mentioned Saban....
    I can promise anyone that if Saban were to walk into a bar in Baton Rouge on a Saturday night... that he might not walk out of there in one piece. Saban's lies put LSU program back several years.
    I can promise anyone that if "Nicky The Liar" were to walk into a bar full of Dolphin fans... that he might not walk out of there in one piece.
    The same way that LSU and Dolphin fans feel about Saban is the same way that most on this board feel about Meyer.
    Many fans on this board have said, "Well, Meyer was a hired hand... he did his job... got paid and then, he moved on.
    As great as those two National Championships were... I am getting fairly tired of "hired hands" that speak with forked tongues.
    And believe me, it is MORE than just "...an approachable nice guy."

It is about a very successful coach that is approachable too.
    We should want and have both.
  5. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +935
    I just want to point out that Will Muschamp agreed to be Texas's head coach in waiting, along with a $450,000 pay raise to stick around. Texas made a commitment to him. And then he left.

I'm sure there were circumstances, like Mack no leaving soon enough, not liking the AD, or just being offered a better gig in Gainesville. Nothing wrong with that, but that's what Saban thought, too. Coaches lie all the time about stuff like that. Will Muschamp is no exception.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,905
    This year alone in champs most trying year, he has suspended Marcus roberson, luchiez purifoy, Antonio morrison and d-rob, mulitiple games, And we certainly needed each of them every game.

Players are really part of a extended family, brothers out there on that field, they'll tell you that much themselves. So when you do something stupid that gets you arrested even once let alone multiple times you are being selfish knowing your brothers need you out on the field. Thinking no punishment would come from arrest would be naive. So doing such acts knowing a arrest is possible IS putting yourself before the team.

I'm a spikes fan but that was an unfortunate incident that became a bit of a mockery nationwide when Meyer reluctantly "HAD" to suspend him....for 1 half of a game. The guy who retaliates always gets caught. Even though it happens in this game there really is no place for it. And one should be held accountable when caught doing so.

As far as jenkins goes. He's the type of player muschamp loves. A great defensive corner back. But his multiple arrest for the same thing shows a lack of respect to the university who afforded a scholarship to these aspiring student - athletes. And IF true what the article said about jenkins saying " do you know who you are talking to?" Then I have even more respect for coach to not let a kid think he is above any other guy in that locker room.

Make no mistake this isn't a "Muschamp is better than meyer" ordeal because certainly meyer has done some amazing things here but comparing disciplining the players and holding them accountable for their actions there is no comparison.

Meyer is sort of like the single working parent who is to busy working to discipline and let's the kids do what they like knowing any attempt to do so is futile since the kids don't expect u to.

And champ reminds me of the type of parent who will make you serve a few days in jail to teach you a point even after the cop says "sir, it's up to you if you want me to bring your son in or let him off with a warning."
  7. Loco

Loco Member

Ratings Received:
    +57
    The Difference Between Meyer And Muschamp...

let's see... 29 arrests?

What did I win?
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,334
    Nice is an ambiguous word but I would consider a nice person to be an honest person and honesty and integrity go hand in hand. Give me honest wins over cheating slimy ones every day.

I understand you have to get your hands dirty but let's use Lane Kiffin as an example. Let's pretend he was a winner like the college football hiring ADs seem to think he is, were you one of the ones that wanted him? Bump that. He has left a trail of losses and misdeeds everywhere he went and I would not want to sacrifice that in the name of wins. So no Lane Kiffins. All the Miami fans think Saban is the devil but I think he walks the line. Same with Bilichek. He certainly uses loop holes in the rules to his advantage and some would call that cheating but he's a genius and just carries integrity with him so I'm not saying we need to dress coach Ghandi but I wouldn't sacrifice integrity for wins. I like to be able to get proudly behind the program.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,099
    I wouldn't want a lifetime coach, they can't be fired and they end up seeing themselves as more important then the program (Bowden, Brown) give me a guy who wins titles and moves on before they start to relax, so the next guy can be driven to win their own titles.

Nice guy? pfft, I don't think anyone who is at the top of their game is ever really nice, to get to the top you always have to step on people, some just hide it better, James Franklin was a "nice guy" until he left Vandy, had his new employer pay for his goodbye ad and poached every recruit he could get.
  10. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,713
    From behind?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,072
    What I don't understand is what the heck willingness to take a picture with fans has to do with running a successful football program. How often do you hear "we were 4-8, but our coach will take pictures with fans!" It's nice that our coach is nice. Just sucks how nice he has been to his alma mater.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,225
    I'd throw Fischer, Tressel, and even Stoops in there. I know there's more.
  13. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,225
    Yes because he's lost to Georgia on purpose.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. RemainCalm

RemainCalm Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +498
    UM 2 BCS Championships. WM O. UM could put together a staff that won championships. WM puts together a staff that loses to a 1-aa team at home and working on 3 OC's in 4 years.

What did I win?
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,334
    At the end of the day there is no current comparison between Champ and Meyer on a winning football basis.

It a rediculous to even try and make the comparison until they can be mentioned in the same breath other than "Muschamp and Meyer were both Florida coaches".

If Muscuamp ends up being a winner than give me a winning Muschamp over a winning Meyer all day.

In the meantime we will all just have to wait and see and root.
  16. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,963
    Except for Tressel, sure. Dude was paying players and knowingly keeping ineligible players on his team the entire time from Youngstown State.
  17. MtownGator

MtownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +329
    So far........Hmmm NC Games.
  18. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +374

This is what I was talking about. Stay long enough to become a hero, but stay too long and you eventually become the villain.
  19. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,225
    Yeah but he was still nice doing it ;)
  20. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +374
    I keep telling ya'll, Notre Dame's schedule is much harder than folks give them credit for.
    • Agree Agree x 1