The Difference Between Meyer And Muschamp...

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by DeBigLeezard, Jan 16, 2014.

1. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,502
    Definitely was first. Maybe I overreacted but you were rude first and out of nowhere, absolutely.

Also it's sort of difficult to write sentences without a lot of adjectives. Part and parcel to the language.

Your truly,

Chief

Ps - can we now free the forum from this. I apologize. My bad.
  2. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +280
    Things are either subjective or not. Instrumental is subjective. Since you disagree, I asked to qualify this, to which your responded with the fact that he was 'interim OC for one game at Utah'. You then admitted that didn't quantify anything. So please go ahead, quantify 'instrumental'.
  3. GCNumber7

Ratings Received:
    +280
    Maybe it's difficult for you to write sentences without throwing adjectives at people. You seem to be the only one in this thread to do so.
  4. 95Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,502
    Where do you want me to send the $1000? You are correct. I didn't focus on instrumental. You had me from the start and I guess when you wrote that everything else was opinion you only meant that because you thought to yourself "hey, how is this guy qualifying that word" but I'll write that everything he said is wrong and based in opinion with no qualifiers because that's the kind of guy I am.

Btw, that instrumental is not qualifiable is an opinion and tbh I agree with you on that but the spirit of that point is not opinion. So you win $1000. Just leave me your address and a list of your fears and I'll send it right over.

Btw, care to elaborate on everything else yet?
  5. 95Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,502
    Adjectives are fairly benign and quite often necessary tools to write a sentence.

That said, do you really think you've been some sweet guy here above it all? I admit I've let your rudeness and "lols" and "has" and "nice try chiefs" roll off my shoulders yet want to place you back in your spot. The one where you were wrong to begin with.

It's your unwillingness to just admit that saying everything I wrote was wrong, rudely was unecesaary and you can't defend it because it's just categorically false. So even in my 2-3 attempts to end this for the betterment of the universe, you keep throwing nouns and verbs at me. That said, I enjoy this.

I apologize to everyone. I should have acted with more restraint. This is a bunch of nothing.
  6. GCNumber7

Ratings Received:
    +280
    Thanks. I'll PM you my paypal account. My fears? For starters I fear you weren't serious and I won't be getting my new fridge. :-(
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. 95Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,502
    You are correct. Was never sending you $1000 and frankly don't agree that everything I wrote was opinion and I'll tell you what, if you can convince me that it was, I will honestly send you a signed mini ball with Spurriers name and Tebow, in plexiglass. I swear it.

This one I mean. Go!
  8. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,038
    Frank beamer, Joe pa, Bobby bowden, mack brown, Bob stoops, and many more have all stayed 10 years or more. Now that may not be a real life time but in college football that's about as close as you will get. If he stays longer than meyer I will be elated. 10 years of building this up like he is and we would be better set than a carousel coach would bring.

Most coaches leave schools for bigger schools or nfl, not many schools out there bigger than uf, so unless he gets a nfl itch maybe he stays for awhile.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +486
    I don't understand this at all. 5% less wins just so we can have a coach that is supposedly more approachable?

These guys aren't paid millions to be nice.

Develop players, win games, build the program. That's what great coaches do. I don't even see where approachability comes into the equation. Give me 100% Saban over 95% Muschamp every time.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +613
    Muschamp will have our team very solid next year.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    I strongly disagree here and I would be willing to bet that the administration and the AD would also disagree with you. There are a lot of good prospects out there that WM will not offer, that Meyer would have taken a chance on. I am not talking about Cook and Lane, who by all accounts have not been in trouble with the law. I am talking about players that have a history of disciplinary issues and brushes with law enforcement in high school. I believe it is well documented that one part of WM's scouting process is researching such background info. If a kid has had legal issues or drug issues in high school WM will stay away from them. Meyer's last 4 classes we loaded with talented, but high risk kids and they all blew up in his face.

http://deadspin.com/how-will-muschamp-and-florida-sold-their-disastrous-sea-1495320545
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +427
    I will strongly disagree with you on this one. Sometimes people remember what they want to remember. In fact there were very few major incidents Meyers' first year and he actually ran off a lot of the dead weight when he got here and was a very strong disciplinarian. It wasn't until the later years when he began to show his favorites and have different rules for different players that some of the guys started to get a little out of control.

Hernandez became a huge problem mostly after he left UF. They knew there were potential gang ties when they recruited him but for the most part they pulled Hernandez away from that. It wasn't until he moved back to the area that his gang activity escalated.

There were several pot smokers but that's a huge problem at every school. And guys like Harvin and I think Chris Martin who had some red flags that he took but again, Harvin pretty much stayed out of major trouble at UF and Martin was gone before he became a problem.

But there were LOTS of guys out there that were VERY highly recruited by other schools that Meyer wouldn't touch because of character issues. So don't buy the hype that Meyer was bringing in a bunch or derelicts off the street. The primary difference between Meyer and Muschamp is that Meyer eased off after a couple seasons and let the players take control of the team. I don't think Muschamp has done that yet, but some of the stuff I saw toward the end of the year makes me not so sure he isn't losing control of the team too. We'll see this year.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. 95Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,502
    I nominate this for the most understated comment ever posted here. :)

There are always problems and the coaches can't really stop it. You could be like Zook though and actually join the fight.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +756

How about Joe Paterno?

Would you rather have Champ @ 95% success of JoPa--but without the taint of covering up child molestation under his nose?

Certainly a more egregious comparison, but I think the point he's making, is that it's better to have a good person representing your school, who's pretty successful, than a guy who's ultra successful on the field, but compromises the program's integrity, or otherwise causes the program (and by extension, the school) to be cast in a negative light.
  15. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +295
    And look at how the Joe Pa, Bobby Bowden, Mack Brown careers ended. Frank Beamer is going down that road too. All of them probably stayed too long at their respective schools and all of them ended on a huge low note.
  16. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +486
    Well what has Saban done that cast UA, or LSU for that matter, in a negative light?

I want a coach who is ultra successful on the field and doesn't cast the program or school in a negative light. I assume everyone wants that.

What I'm having trouble understanding is this need for an approachable nice guy. And what I can't even fathom is the willingness to sacrifice wins for niceness. Being nice and approachable has nothing to do with integrity.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,038
    Meyer suspended spikes for 1 half for gouging Marshaun ealeys eyes on national television. 1 half. There was many credible reports that state percy got into altercation/fight with coaches and was a huge prima Donna, arrest after arrest who did Meyer get rid of and what was the worst punishment he gave a starter/ star?
    Just comparing discipline and holding players accountable alone meyer doesn't hold a match to champ.

It says a lot when a defensive first time head coach comes to a program and kicks off the best player as well as best "defensive" player and a corner back at that because not just he was arrested multiple times but because he did not want to be accountable for his actions and be suspended. Janoris jenkins felt he was bigger than the program and that can never be tolerated.

That wasn't for show either, champ has repeatedly suspended or "let go" players who didn't put the team first. Dunker, was let go b/c of to many arrest, he was a position of serious need yet champ stuck to his guns, luchiez purifoy, Marcus roberson , Antonio morrison, d-rob. These are all big time players or promising player of position of need yet champ with his job on the line stuck to his guns.

What did Meyer do when reports came about that tebow had to break up a fight with hernandez at some club, or when there were inquiries of other indiscretions with ahern? Nothing, he turned the other cheek, because like he said in his post esophageal issue that winning became the only thing that matters.

I for one love to win games but I love even more to say I'm a fan of a team full of student athletes with real integrity . :)
  18. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,038
    Do you agree with the way they went out? I think it was dirty personally. Never was a fan of bowden but he made FSU and for them to push him out like that was sad, hie pa would never had been pushed out if not for the scandal, beamer has been the most consistent in terms of wins of any coach the last 20 years. And mack brown didn't WANT to leave. Hell he just won a title in 05 and played for it all just a few years ago, finished the season strong and won their division. Oh and beat oklahoma in the RR rivalry.

Now if you are saying coaches leave colleges after a little while so they are not unceremoniously dismissed then I see your point but that speaks to how knee jerk universities are becoming over this game, undoubtedly because of the money it now brings in, but it shouldn't be that way.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,038
    And further more I'm interested to see if meyer follow his pattern of following his star pupils/QB's out the door. Alex smith, first overall pick left soon so did meyer, Tim tebow,( no description needed) left, soon after so did meyer. No let's see what happens when Braxton Miller leaves where does meyer go?
  20. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,038
    I can understand with how coaches and players are "made" available to fans and media that having a approachable, genuinely that is not a facade. Because when that time come like one poster noted when your face to face with the coach and your son ask for a autograph and the response you get is please step away, a look as if you are bothersome to him only for the same coach to talk up family and fans at presser make them seek "fake" and it's hard to continue to root for "fake" people. IMO

It's like meeting one of your favorite actors or sports legends only to find out he's a big a hole and wondering why you spent so many years of your life rooting for this prick.

Winning and being genuinely receptive to fans are not mutuality exclusive. You can have both but one usually is in your genetic make up and I'm not talking winning.