The Difference Between Meyer And Muschamp...

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by DeBigLeezard, Jan 16, 2014.

1. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +764
    Wrong angle, chief.

Here's what you want to be arguing--can anyone make half an argument that Meyer somehow wasn't 'instrumental' in A.Smith/Utah's offense???? IMO, that constitutes a 'fact', unless he can produce something resembling a 'school of thought' that could argue otherwise.

Bottom line--'instrumental' is pretty open ended. That doesn't necessarily make it an 'opinion'--just not the tightest of 'facts'.

But it would appear that 'Meyer was instrumental in developing [that] offense'=fact.

...and now I feel like showering after having gotten all muddied in this idiotic tangent...
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. 92gator

Ratings Received:
    +764
    How pray tell, was he rude? Was there a nasty post withdraw? Did I miss something??

(...heck..already muddied...I can table the 'shower' for a couple more posts...)
  3. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,508
    Bingo! Well said and true. This is what my other friend doesn't understand. There is no way that was ever gonna be opinion.

Anyhow, while developing Smith he was actually instrumental in developing their offense so it's actually true. Didn't remember writing instrumental so I thought that little tid bit would at least show that he was a part of it at one point since he thinks a non fact is by default an opinion.

I might go search out the article but since the "everything else" is opinion when none of it is, wrong or right, I won that discussion out of the gate.

I am of the OPINION that if you're gonna be snide, you better be pretty sure you're right. I'm 100 percent sure that there is zero opinion in his snide response. That he is wrong on the other fronts just makes it even sweeter. Not that I care about being right but I hate when people are rude, and when they are rude without a grade level understanding of vocabulary then it makes me want to toy with the inferior intellect. just kidding whoever is the guy I'm arguing with. Was quoting a grown up movie called "wrath of Kahn" and I was being the bad guy.

Opinion - 2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

Edit Actually this was a truly rude post. Sorry
  4. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,762
    What's this thread about?
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. 95Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,508
    Not that rude really he just quoted my post full of facts and said something as fact and opinion "everything else" without writing anymore. It obnoxious or anything but certainly not the coolest.
  6. 95Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,508
    Me
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. 92gator

Ratings Received:
    +764
    It's devolved into a trite pissing contest....

Let's try to get this thing back on track:

8. 95Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,508
    Well the pissing contest was about the thread content. It's not a complete hijack.

Also how is it trite?

Anyway. I apologize to all that I reacted a bit strongly to the notion that the things I wrote were all false for no reason. I felt a desire to defend myself since there was no basis in reality. It had to do with comparing Meyer and Champ and the things I wrote about Meyer were not even inflammatory in that one, and I overreacted to being incorrectly called out. One post should have done it.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. ufdocco

ufdocco Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +297
    I would put Tom Osborne in this category.
  10. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +280
    lol. This is your prove that he was instrumental in developing that offense? That he was 'interim offensive coordinator' for one game. ok chief. Nice try.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  11. 95Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,508
    Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen spent 10 years working with and for Meyer at Notre Dame, Bowling Green, Utah and Florida. He helped Meyer develop Meyer's version of the spread-option offense.

--------
    Anyway can't find the article where Meyer talks about Mullins hand in developing the spread while coaching Smith but that should suffice. Did we rise to instrumental?

What's Sanford doing?
  12. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +427
    Honestly, I don't get any of it. I don't understand what your post had to do with my post that you quoted. And then I really don't understand what point you were trying to make in either of the posts you followed up with.

Bottom line is that I don't think talent has been as issue at UF for over 20 years and I don't believe it's an issue now! All these people who claimed Spurrier left the cupboard bare were wrong and those who said Meyer left the roster with no talent were flat wrong in my opinion. We may not have had the talent to compete for a national championship every year but just with the pure physical talent that has been recruited each and every year at UF since 1990, there's really no excuse for this team not winning 8-9 games every year.

In that same period, there have only been 3 teams that didn't win at least 8 games and that was Zook's last year that got him fired, Muschamp's first year (somewhat excusable not because there wasn't talent, but the talent clearly didn't fit the scheme he wanted to run) and this year's disaster.

Maybe that's the point you were trying to make.

One more point I'd like to make is that even in 2012 where we went 11-2, people seem to forget how close that team was to being 8-5. Without Elam's play on Beckham, LSU probably wins that game, Mizzou should have beaten us as well as Louisiana Lafayette, who would have at least taken it to overtime without the punt block for TD with 2 seconds left.
  13. GCNumber7

Ratings Received:
    +280
    Did you state you were walking on the moon? No, you stated some that is not quantifiable as fact. Being 'instrumental' is not quantifiable here or in the moon. It's opinion. And I find it pretty hilarious that you accuse others of being rude, snide and wrong. lol. Too much.
  14. 95Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,508
    No I sAid this wasn't proof but it does t matter because you said everything was opinion when I didn't state one opinion. So small vernacular and inability to read isn't helping you. I'm done, you don't even understand why you are wrong and also happen to be wrong on the other stuff too.
  15. GCNumber7

Ratings Received:
    +280
    lol. You like to use big words you haven't mastered yet chief. And then you accuse others of your own shortcomings. Pretty entertaining.
  16. 95Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,508
    You started the snide with your comment that everything i wrote was just wrong (in the form of incorrectly calling it opinion) and yet you are still working off that and frankly I'm done discussing it with you because you are not only rude but wrong and stubborn. I could admit that I could be wrong about something if I'm not sure but Meyer wrote that he was a huge part of developing their spread before Florida. If I'm wrong it's still not opinion, by definition!!!!

You are stubborn is an opinion because it is subjective by it's very nature.

Mother Theresa had a secret plan to destroy the world is opinion.

Mother Theressa was instrumental in developing the spread at Utah is just wrong but it's not an opinion.

Hope that helps. Good luck brother.

I could be wrong on everything because I reserve that right as a rational person. If you think I am wrong say something.
  17. 95Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,508
    What big word???

Edit: what vernacular??? Ha. I wasn't trying to use a big word. Granted lexicon would have been more appropriate but you have called me out on a bunch of crap today. Can you stop that? Those are pretty common words.
  18. GCNumber7

Ratings Received:
    +280
    Let me help you. You stating that "Meyer said Mullen was instrumental in developing the offense" would be a right/wrong statement, quantifiable and verifiable. You stating "Mullen was instrumental in developing the offense" is opinion. Not that hard to follow chief.
  19. GCNumber7

Ratings Received:
    +280
    You sure like to throw a lot of adjectives at people that disagree with you. You are sure I'm the rude one?
  20. 95Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,508
    I disagree with your assessment. Either he was or he wasn't and it's objective not subjective. I'll give you that the word instrumental leaves some room for subjective but you said that everything else was opinion. At best you have a weak argument on one point.

And if it was an opinion, it was a correct one. I still don't think it's opinion. I think a person can quantify instrumental.