The Difference Between Meyer And Muschamp...

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by DeBigLeezard, Jan 16, 2014.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,687
    In our game against Cincy, all the pressure was off, and we were the most talented team in the country... by a good margin. They never should have been in the game and never were.

This year, Bama was significantly off their baseline on defense. If playing for all the marbles, they might have still beaten reFSU based on match ups, but they didn't have the talent advantage over other teams that we had in 2009. We really should have won it all.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,840
    Yeah, but dealing well with losses is sort of a secondary business in a game of winning? Nice to have but at the end of the day, what's the difference? He's a good man and a first one and if he learns how to coach he's got the right personality but I'd rather him be good at dealing with the wins. I like the "we will enjoy this but start working tomorrow" over "we need to do better and get this corrected."

I take no solace in being a good loser. A good loser is an oxymoron.

Also, please don't call Miami "the U" anymore. It's not the U, it's a small private school that none of their fans go to. I hate Miami. The pooh. Sorry for my feeble attempts at humor. I'm drunk and it's my keyboard.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    I don't know, it just seemed like you were kind of reaching to try and discredit Meyer.
  4. 95Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,840
    Nope wasn't but I do feel he is a lesser coach than a offensive or defensive mind. It's a talent to pick out the right crew but not as cool as being part of it.

He's a lucky man. I guess I don't think he deserves all the credit he gets. He deserves some of it.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +640
    I remember a story back when Meyer was coach, that he was more approachable then Spurrier.

I'm sure we'll hear the same story with the next coach just with the names changed.
  6. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +516
    personally I like Muschamp more as person than I liked Meyer(after Meyer left he solidified my feelings of him) but if you read the title of this thread, the only response really is that the difference is two national titles. Hope Champ can say that one day, but for now, its the only difference that really matters
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. 95Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,840
    Like Lionel Richie is more approachable than Mick Jagger.
  8. 95Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,840
    Muschamp is a better person than Meyer no doubt.
  9. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    That is just an opinion, you are stating it like it is a fact. lol
    And the track record of success as a HC at 4 different schools. Not many coaches can say they led 3 different teams to a BCS bowl.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +382
    The main diff - one has championships. Another difference is that Muschamp faces an incredibly strong western division.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. aerogator70

aerogator70 Member

Ratings Received:
    +90
    I believe that as long as Muschamp is here, he will be loyal to the Gators but the bottom line is that it is all about the money. Even Chris Peterson left Boise State and I was sure he would never never leave that program. Yes, you can find 1 or 2 coaches that will never leave a program but when you get to the major college programs with coaches making millions of dollars a year, they leave in a heart beat for more money. And I don't blame them. I would do the same.
  12. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +490
    Bottom line, "You are what your record is" and their records aren't in the same hemisphere.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. phideltgator

phideltgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +326
    Like comparing a BMW with a ford focus....
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. WillyG8r13

WillyG8r13 Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    I agree with this poster.
  15. bigkid12

bigkid12 Member

Ratings Received:
    +81
    You actually believe that? That's a joke.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  16. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +818
    FWIW Meyer was happy to take pics with me and my family on two different occasions during random times we saw him out and about. And either way, I hardly think that is indicative of any predictive measure of how successful a coach will be. It's not like Meyer struggles with getting recruits.

The difference between the two is Meyer is one of the top 2 or 3 coaches in America, while not many people would put Muschamp in the top 100 at this point. I hope he turns it around, but if he does, his friendliness while he is out on the town will have nothing to do with it.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  17. GreenNNScaly

GreenNNScaly Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    The difference between Meyer and Muschamp is simple...

Winning Pct
    =========

Meyer .813
    Muschamp .579

Sorry but on this simple basis William Larry Muschamp has a LONG LONG way to go to compare to his predecessor.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,915
    The main difference: Urban had cred when he walked into the door. Will had "potential."

I am rooting for Will to succeed just like I am rooting for Tim, although not as voraciously. But as it has been posted ad nauseum, UF really isn't a good place to learn how to be a HC. He has been given that opportunity and I do hope it turns out for the best. But time doesn't stand still and the hour glass is getting pretty empty on top.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +843
    One of the differences is that Meyer was a winner. Niggling detail, I know.
  20. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +327
    ArtDeco....
    Thank you for seeing where I am coming from. And your example of what happened to you on Gator Day was not the first time I heard that kind of thing. Your personal example just shows my point to a "t".
    Meyer was one time quoted as saying, after he left Florida, "Well, I never felt like one of them."
    Well... maybe if he was more personable.... we would have embraced him more.

Don't get me wrong, what Meyer did here at Florida OFF THE FIELD was tremendous....as well as the wins and the championships. He contacted and brought the former players back... got them on the sidelienes. He got the frats and the team on the same page. He got the players to run over and sing the Florida Fight Song at the end of a game. Etc... etc. Those things, after the "Zook Fiasco" were tremendously valuable to the program... essential.

But there was always that coldness about the man. We had a hard time connecting to the guy.
    With Coach Muschamp... no problem.
    That connectivity is there... it is there. You meet the guy ONE time... and you can feel it.
    That never happened with Meyer. Heck, I got more connection meeting Bob Stoops on one occassion than I ever did with Meyer.

Now... please understand that I am not some "wide eyed Bambi" who does not look at wins and losses and just says, "Ah shucks, Will is such a nice guy who is very approachable... let's give this guy three more years to work this out."
    If Muschamp can't get it going this year in 2014... then we need to go in a different direction.
    So, please understand that no one puts up with 7-4 seasons... especially at Florida.

All I am saying is this:
    If... if Coach Muschamp can get things turned around... then, foundationally, we will have a man who can win significantly in the SEC (and I am saying at a higher level than Richt)... AND ALSO have a coach that would be loyal to Florida. And a coach that both fans and high school players will flock to.
    In essense, it is better to have a long-term coach that builds a powerhouse than to have a man who does well... yet is cold and then... leaves us in a heartbeat.
    I don't believe that Meyer exhibited that loyalty and definitely, the connectivity to us, as fans.

To amplify my thought, let me give an example.
    If Muschamp ever were to become 95% as successful as Saban... who would you rather have? Saban or Muschamp?
    I know my answer in half a heartbeat.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1