The Difference Between Meyer And Muschamp...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by DeBigLeezard, Jan 16, 2014.

1. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +369
    I don't want to go into a lot of detail on this post but to simple say that each coach is different in their own particular way. Meyer has his personality and Muschamp has his.
    Here is a quote that I read recently that seems to hit home in so many ways and on so many levels:

"People don't understand... If u let Muschamp build this program he will be with us forever and be one hell of a coach to watch. Muschamp was at the bar the other day and happily took pictures with anyone who asked.
    I remember Meyer would tell people to not bother him when he was out.
    Once we start winning it's going to be impossible for recruits to stay away from Muschamp.
    GO GATORS"

This quote could not be more true.

Give the man some time. Name me one other coach in all of college football who had a team that had more injuries, more discord between their Offensive Line Coach and their Offensive Coordinator, etc, etc.... than the Gators.
    And remember this: One thing that you simply cannot teach is: Loyalty
    In a day and age where college and NFL coaches are leaving teams in a heartbeat, isn't it soothing to know that Coach Muschamp is loyal to his boyhood Gator team? If he does work out as our coach... then Hollywood could not have scripted this scenario any better. I am looking forward to seeing Coach Boom beat his former team... Georgia.
    As for another part of the above quote... I tried on several occassions to meet up with Meyer at Sanders Field.
    Sure, I was not a first teamer for the Gator's in my day (early 80's)... but I got out there and busted my butt like all the rest. But trying to get through to Meyer's pet body guards at Sander's Field was a action in futiliity.
    Muschamp... you go up to the man and he is there for you. Shakes your hand, looks you in the eye and actually listens to you like you are the only one in the room. Big difference.
    • Like x 13
    • Winner x 7
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  2. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,193
    The difference between Meyer and muschamp: one has an esophageal spasm problem, the other has referee spasm problem.
    • Funny Funny x 17
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Boring Boring x 1
  3. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I hope WM can get it going, because if nothing else, he is genuine, something Urbs could never seem to be. I don't know that he'll stay forever, don't know that any coach will do that any more. What if UGA or the NFL or even Texas comes calling? I hope he gets so good that that becomes an issue one day, though.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    If WM works out I could see him being a life long Gator. He is loyal and seems to be a college guy. I doubt he would ever leave for Texas. He grew up a Gator fan and lived in Gainesville for 10 years.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,193
    I would love him to be a billy Donovan-type success story...as of right now I just dont see it.
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    The difference is that Meyer knew and knows how to build a program and all the things that go into being a head coach. WM doesn't know that stuff yet. He might learn -- he might not -- but he stepped into a job he had no experience in.

As for the rest, you're just hoping. It's all hopes. You don't know anything about what goes through WM's mind, who he is loyal to, any of it. He did yell at one of these fans he's so loyal to after a game, after all. He wasn't loyal to Texas when he left them after agreeing to be the HCIW. He wasn't all that loyal to Brent Pease. He's a coach, he just happens to be the Gators coach right now.

You left out the main difference between Meyer and Muschamp. You like him. That's it. The only thing WM has on Urban Meyer (and, as a devoted Spurriean, I freakin' hated the way Meyer ran the program) is that you personally like him more than you liked Urban Meyer, or more than you like Meyer in hindsight. That's it. You can't look at wins and losses, you can't look at program reputation, you can't look at championships or history. You like him better.

That's great. I'm glad you like the Gators head coach. I'm glad you have faith in him and confidence that he's the right guy. But if you're honest, you have to admit that it you didn't like WM for whatever reason, then there'd be no reason to compare him favorably to almost any coach we've had, least of all a guy who won two titles.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
    • Winner x 7
    • Agree x 5
    • Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
  7. oleg8r

oleg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +305
    Two things.

I do not know that Meyer knew how to build a program. He certainly did not build a program at Uf, nor at OSU. He inherited. How could you say he built a program at BGSU or Utah? He was not in either place long enough to build anything.

One thing the evidence shows is that he is a great "short term" coach.

The evidence I see is that Muschamp is in the process of building at UF. Or is he reconstructing?. Not done in 2 or 3 years.

Secondly, it is always about hope. Every year is hope. Every year some teams exceed expectations and others do not; and most every fan base hopes they capture lightening. OSU certainly did this past year until it evaporated.

You say we support Muschamp because we like him. Could well be true. Wonder why we do. Wonder why you don't.
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  8. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +555
    Only thing I can say is that I met Muschamp one night at the stonewood in gainseville. Was out there with my GF, he was with his wife and a couple other people just having drinks and talking. He was really nice and even said hello to my GF once i told him it was her Bday, so i can't complain about him on a personal level. hope he can get the whole football thing worked out though because it is obvious he loves this school and the oppurtunity to coach here
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
    And this is the exact type of thinking that leads to fans becoming toxic toward coaches that helped them win many games and titles.(LSU with Nick Saban, Florida with Urban Meyer and some with Steve Spurrier) Folks need to stop putting these coaches on a pedestal. They are human just like we are, and will leave for better opportunities.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    I'd answer but it will derail the thread, and the OP deserves to have his thread go on without the bloodbath that will happen if I answer your questions truthfully.

Instead, I'll just say that i know you have your reasons; so do I and so do those who disagree.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,364
    I'm with ya. I hope like hell it all comes true. If there is anything I envy about F$U it's the relative stability of their coaching situation for the last 30 years.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,294
    The biggest difference between the two is one is made of glass and one is made of stone. Hopefully the stone will allow some change..

Meyer is a head case beyond words. I know I should love him but I so don't. Do love Shelly.

I don't think he's such a great coach like Spurrier, he's just a good ring leader and hires the right people which is something but he's not a genius on defense or offense and I suppose he's a special teams genius but that's like being the best at fuse ball. It's nice to say but it won't win you a championship.

Spurrier changed the SEC, Meyer dealt with it, sort of.

He's a kin to a good movie producer as opposed to a producer/director. He positions himself to win by getting the right people and getting out of the leagues where the big boys play. Only reason he came to UF is because he knew after his undefeated season at Utah, he wasn't winning championships there. In comes Percy, Murderer, Tebow, Riley et al and you have some winners, not to mention Leak. He owes Florida more than Florida owes him. He's not Saban, Spurrier, or Bilichek.

But do be fair, Muschamp is not anywhere in his league yet. Yet.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. number1

Ratings Received:
    +365
    Name one team that has won a title that did not have talented recruits? How many spread teams were in the SEC prior to Meyer's arrival in Gainesville? The bolded part is kind of weird since he won 2 titles, and assembling and managing a good staff is all part of being a great coach. So is recruiting talent. Texas doesn't sniff a title without Vince Young and Colt McCoy, Florida State doesn't either without Winston, How good would Bama be without those RBs and defensive stars? Saban didn't look like too much of a genius in his 2 Sugar Bowl appearances with Bama.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. GatorChoice

GatorChoice Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +81
    I think that's what drives my personal dislike for Urban. While I will always cherish the championships, and am thankful for what he did here at UF, I bought into his coach speak when it came to morals, beliefs, and values. He turned out to be quite the fraud on a personal level, so I find it hard to wish him well.

As far as Muschamp goes, I wasn't all that sure about the hire because UGA is my most disliked rival on a deep level. I'm supporting him because I want any Gator coach to do well, but am by no means sold that he is the long term answer here. He does at least appear to be a more "genuine" person, but who really knows for sure?
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. jaxgator1991

Ratings Received:
    +555
    agree with everything until your last point about Saban. You really think that a team that has a goal of playing in a national title comes into a consolation game amped up? I highly doubt it, why does Bama not come out flat in national title games? its all about the prize, consolation games don't cut it for big programs with national title hopes, like what happened to us against Louisville last year
    • Agree Agree x 4
  16. number1

Ratings Received:
    +365
    But we killed Cincy in the exact same situation and bowl game back in 2009. What was the difference? Of course Saban is probably the best in the game, but I used him to show that even hall-of-fame coaches have some flops from time to time.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,294
    Difference between having talent and being over loaded with it. Especially Tebow who was a defense breaker in college.

I'm not knocking him, I said he's a producer. He's a dot connector. Brings in the right recruits and brings in the right coaches and that's why wins wherever he goes but it's not as sexy as being a guru on offense like spurrier or a brilliant coach like billichek.

Put it this way, I'd rather have Zook running the defense and Roper on offense. I'm not saying that putting together talent doesn't win, I'm saying it does but it does not make him a genius IMO.

To use my earlier movie producer analogy, the Coen brothers are geniuses in their field and so is Spielberg but Grazer is just a good producer.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. jaxgator1991

Ratings Received:
    +555
    Theres an exception to everything, of course its not always correct but more often than not the team with more to play for wins those bowl games. Remember Cincy is a different animal than Oklahoma, plus Cincy had just lost their head coach and was being coached by their OC, makes a difference when you're head coach is gone... just some food for thought on that example you decided to use.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +657
    Leezard,
    First of all, you're one of my favorite posters. Enjoy your insight. Thanks for busting your ass for the Orange and Blue.

Secondly, I feel you with all the admiration for Muschamp. That is why I gave him so much slack through the Weis season, after the Sugar Bowl disaster, after Da U, after LSU. I really liked his character and his determination, and I appreciated his attitude after the, er.. attitude of his predecessor (did I ever tell you the story about meeting Urban on Meet the Gator Day, asking him to take a picture with my son, and getting a look from him like I was crazy?). What I am now questioning is the space between his ears. After the bumbling and stumbling of 2013, I'm all out of slack. He needs to show his potential....NOW.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +657
    Tebow. Master of motivation. He would've decapitated the seniors if they had lost to Cincinnati.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2