The Defense Deserves its own thread.

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by born2beagator, Jan 25, 2014.

1. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    I just mean as opposed to SOS-adjusted numbers, like those used by Pomeroy. It looks like those teamrankings numbers are raw.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +477
    Best D of the year with lots of help from UT shooting a miserable % from 3. Lots of them were very open shots.

Only saw a couple of times that the rotations were late or not there. Really good effort by the Gator men today.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    The numbers lie about our defense. Remember how many injuries we've had. Having depth is important with our constant movement on both sides of the ball. Just imagine Harris and walker in there too lol...be easily the best d in the nation.
  4. GeauxGators05

GeauxGators05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +240
    This is one hell of a defense that is only getting better. Everyone contributes. I can't wait to see how we finish this year. We are destined for some net cutting and hardware.
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,136
    The 2010 class has literally reshaped the identity of the basketball program. What an unbelievable coup that group was. If there were any justice, they would win the national title to prove that decent talent developed over a four-year tenure actually does supersede a far greater level of talent thrown together for a short run. But unfortunately single elimination tournaments seldom yield such results. We'll see.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,136
    True to some degree. Last season's phenomenal early returns were at least partly a product of continuity. Wilbekin missed three games, but otherwise we had essentially the same rotation until February, when Yeguete went out. November and December were holy messes for this defense due to an absolute lack of continuity. We are only now starting to bring it together in terms of making smart decisions on help situations, communicating and executing our pick and roll coverages better, and being active disrupting passing lanes. Hill has really helped on the latter the last week or so.

One thing hurting us statistically has been our three-point defense, but as Donovan is wont to say lately we are willing to live with a high percentage if we are giving up very few shots.
  7. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,136
    From the ESPN recap:

• Like Like x 1
  8. GatorLurker

Ratings Received:
    +477
    I see it as more of a Gator retro team. Some similarities to the 1994 team, but with better talent. These guys "Find a Way" and work very hard.
  9. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,136
    I guess was thinking of Florida hoops under Donovan. This group definitely does show that Kruger-like defensive prowess, though Donovan's offensive system obviously makes them far more effective at that end.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +702

I see what you mean, but last year's UL team and maybe 2010's Duke team did this if I remember right. I'd agree that more often some more talented team gets hot and wins it though.
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,347
    I think rserina was referring specifically to the UF program.
  12. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +489
    Ok, cool I didn't know that was available. Does anyone know whether its raw or adjusted numbers that are usually quoted by announcers?
  13. Brodeur

Brodeur Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +88
    I was surprised by those stats as well. I wonder how much of it is a function of the difference in the quality of the SEC between now and then. The SEC as a a whole is pretty bad and was the last two years; the 06 and 07 teams seemed to play more potent offenses. UT for example had that Lofton kid back then, no way those UT teams shoot 1-19 from 3 like today.

I'm not trying to knock this year's team, they're beating the teams in front of them which is all they can do and today was impressive, but I think the quality of opposition is contributing to those defensive stats too.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,347
    Non-conference schedules tell much of the story as well. The 2006 team played a whale of a nc schedule and ended with a high sos. The 2007-08 team, though, did not play nearly as difficult a schedule. At this point, this year's team falls near the middle. For the sake of disclosure, though, that's only one site's metric.
  15. hoopnscoopuf

hoopnscoopuf Member

Ratings Received:
    +21
    great thread. Fantastic effort the whole game. I really enjoy watching this team with our discipline and composure but like the championship teams are clearly having fun.
  16. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,350
    The best defensive teams are always experienced. It's about becoming well rounded.
  17. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Seems we are starting to cover the three better the last two games finally. Hopefully that continues because nothing is more dangerous in March than a mid major hot from the three point line o_O
  18. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,136
    Part of it is simple recognition. Last year, we could switch back and forth between man and zone far more seamlessly because our kids knew what they were doing. They knew our different pick and roll coverages well, they could communicate the coverages and call out actions more easily, and they knew what we wanted schematically in terms of protecting the paint, healing outside the lane, etc. It helps when seven of your top eight are returning rotation players.
  19. GatorLurker

Ratings Received:
    +477
    Which numbers are pulled from their <expletive deleted>?
  20. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,116
    I said before the season started that this would be Billy's most athletic and versatile team defensively possibly ever.

Sometimes you just can't control shots not falling in the NCAA tournament, but you can always control your effort defensively. And that gives us a chance to win it all this year.

At least defensively, I really think Chris Walker is the missing piece this year if he ever gets on the court. You look at the title winning teams in the last decade and a lot of them have a strong defensive rim-protecting big man in the middle - Dieng, Davis, Oriakhi, Noah, Okafor, etc. just off the top of my head.
    • Agree Agree x 2