The Cubs and the ACA

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Aug 23, 2014.

1. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,224
    So apparently the Chicago Cubs don't want to pay for their grounds crew's health insurance, so the other night they sent 10 workers home to keep them under the 130 hours limit for the month. Then a massive storm hit that night and the it turned into a debacle.
    Now its funny from a karma perspective and the cubs deny that's what happened, but it raises a larger question.
    Let's say there are 20 people on the grounds crew with an average of a $350 a month insurance cost to the company. Presumably they would only have to pay it during the season, so 8 months if the season went full length. That's a total of $56k (assuming the cubs picked up the whole cost) or even if it went the whole year, $84k. That is almost literally a rounding error on a new contract for a player. It's also against an ownership family with a net worth of around $2 billion dollars. This isn't a question about whether they have the right to do this (though reportedly they are the only team that did this), but whether it's right?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-b...lth-insurance-%E2%80%94-report-125552399.html
  2. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,078
    I don't think it's right but maybe the team is against the worst legislative policy on the history of the planet.
  3. cjgator76

cjgator76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +583
    I would guess that a MLB team has a lot more part timers than just the ground crew, but I get your point.
  4. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,224
    Yeah I was thinking about that, but I think the ushers might be the only other group? The food staff are contracted or work for the vendors, security is probably contracted, maybe the on site parking people?
  5. dangolegators

dangolegators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +872
    It's a pretty sick situation. You got players making millions of dollars per year, and ownership worth billions, but they're too cheap to pay health insurance for their grounds keepers. It's gross.
  6. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,373
    I agree for the most part. Especially with the number of day games at Wrigley prohibiting them from having a second (possibly full-time) day job.
  7. cjgator76

cjgator76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +583
    I really don't know how many would be direct employees. It takes a lot of people to staff a game but as you note some may be employed by vendors.
  8. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,067
    Additionally they should provide free mental health care for their fans.
    • Funny Funny x 2