The country club universities and the real reason college costs so much

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ncbullgator, Aug 24, 2013.

1. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Here and I always thought it was quite obvious why tuition prices have skyrocketed...
  2. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    Private High Schools are set up to break even (allowing for long term maintenance and depreciation of assets). The point my friend was making is that they were not budgeting based on what costs were, but were budgeting for the goodies they wanted to add. The hell with the parents and cost increases double the inflation rate. And of course they got away with it until the recession.

The other similar HS in Jax has over 50% of kids tuition paid for by grandparents according to another friend on their Finance committee. So the grandparents are getting hosed. Both of these schools charge way more than the other private and parochials schools in Jax market...way more.
  3. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +561
    The goodies they wanted to add are not a part of their costs?

Who do you think should set the prices that the private schools charge, if not the private schools?

It seems like if the private schools were still filling their seats then they set their price exactly right.
  4. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +774
    Exactly, which is what I described above. But like I said, we actually do pay attention to prices - not like if we were students - but I certainly take it into account.

First time in college are only a fraction of all the students at a college. The students are actually quite adept at book shopping for the most part.
  5. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,082
    What recession are you talking about? ...anyhow...

Many issues affecting university budgets

-state funding cuts...been happening for decades
    -economic crisis in 08 still affecting university budgets
    -dorm/health club facitilities/student rec arms race
    -outsized pay for some faculty and many administrators
    -increasing technology costs

etc...
  6. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +954
    I was on the Board of a private school in Atlanta for many years and I can tell you that every year we set tuition increases before doing the rest of the budget. And the Admissions office never once asked anyone for a personal financial statement.

I bet if you looked at your schools college profile the past 5 years average SAT scores haven't decreased much if at all, or the wealthy parents of the bright kids that have been saddled by rich idiots surrounding them would have revolted.

Since there are no loans for private primary schools so I would think a guy with your political leanings would support the market setting tuition. Isn't that how it should work? Not like enrollment has been hurt by private primary school tuition increases outside 09/10 when the bottom fell out. So if a willing buyer is willing to pay an unsubsidized market tuition for high school, then that's the market price, isn't it?
    And my guess is your private school in Jacksonville probably didn't have many liberals on its Board either.
  7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,624
    Great article, I enjoyed it immensely.
  8. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,641
  9. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    The fiance's dad got his Doctorate for less than the cost of a four year in state degree at Alabama....

I've said it on here and just before that it's the problem that no jobs are coming open and thousands of students that have thousands of dollars in debt that cant pay them because the only jobs that are opening up right now are part-time.

College's will continue to raise the tuition when the government keeps handing money out like candy to go.

Colleges will continue to waste money like the university of Alabama did when they remodeled a building only to take all the brick off cause it didn't match all the rest of the brick on all the other buildings that they are remolding. Or that they waste 1 million a year on a water fountain...

They keep on adding more and more fancy dorms that only hold 4 students per flat.

it's a joke and wont get better because the whole process is devaluing a degree.
  10. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    you forgot an indoor practice facility :devil:
  11. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    Maybe so. But we were talking about skyrocketing costs in education at the college level. My comment was that we've also seen similar in secondary and even primary private education. There have been comments about luxury dorms and fitness facilities and the arms race. And schools were still able to fill their seats. Until the recession.

Same with athletics. UF was able to push up booster "per seat" contributions and ticket increases as did other schools...until the recession.

Now we are all wondering if people have learned they can live without it? Same in the golf course business. Golf course owners are all concerned with this lengthy recession and rounds played dropping...have people learned they can live without expensive "private club memberships?"

We will not know the answer to these questions for 3 more years until Obama is out of office. We voted ourselves continued economic stagnation when we reelected the extortionist.
  12. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    jdr, the recession that continues to affect the united states and presumably, your university. Have you noticed that UF is still selling tickets for every game on it's schedule and it is a week before we kick off? And virtually every team in the SEC is having similar issues. We are selling 3-4 K tickets for road games when we used to sell our allotment of 7-10 K and we needed more.
  13. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    The problem with books is that the only place you can get books with financial aid money is the bookstore. For example, the VA pays for books now instead of just giving a lump sum to the Vet and letting him fend for himself. Now Vets get all new books at the bookstore and sell them back at the end. The same goes for the myriad of other students who don't get money sent directly to them but have financial aid that goes directly to the school for books.

Another problem is federal guidelines say books must change at least 10% of their content each version and that doesn't count rearranging the chapters.

I once had a Microecon class and one of the book reps came to talk about the book (how much it had changed from the last version) and the online content. While she was packing up, the professor said we had to get online content, but we could buy the old version of the book because they had just rearranged the chapters. The book rep turned bright red, she was quite angry.

Anyway, I bought the older version for $5 and everything lined up perfectly except the chapter numbers.
  14. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    Exactly.
  15. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,082
    Your use of the term recession throws me off because we are not in one. A recession is a specific economic event (though one that is retrospectively labeled as such). However, I would agree that there are still some lingering economic effects from the "Great Recession"... adversely transformative as it seems to have been.
  16. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,082
    There are two problems that actually converge. One is the way financial aid is dispersed, which can limit options to students only using the school book store if they don't get their aid very early in the semester. The other is the cost of books themselves.

Of course people are still free to buy their books out of pocket, but many students or parents just don't have six hundred dollars to throw around on top of all the other costs, and because many books are required, it limits choice.

As for the 10% law, I am curious about whether it is even enforceable.
  17. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,641
  18. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    They don't have seats for ut, or fsu.
  19. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    Nothing like buying a $250 book and using it five times and getting $32 back at the end of the semester forbit
  20. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +805
    How so?