The Carter Key

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by ali_gater, Jan 6, 2014.

1. ali_gater

ali_gater New Member

fastergator likes this.
  2. fastergator

fastergator New Member

You kidding me?! Kids often go where the last impression is made not the first. This was just a free meal for the Carter family passing through Gainesville. With Ropo gone we need him but we're not nearly the shape were this summer with him.
  3. grant1

grant1 Well-Known Member

No free meal unless an OV.
  4. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

We are a distant third, but you never know when you get family in together. Powell leaving and Fowler gone in a year will definitely help. If not, we are looking very good for next year's top DEs.

It's almost time to stick a fork in this class and move on. This will not be one for the ages. We have one great QB and some nice filler. After last year's class, that might be enough.
  5. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Needs more offense.
  6. revthejedi

revthejedi Active Member

Nice filler?
  7. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

8. moegator

moegator Active Member

A top 10 class is "not one for the ages"? We have some room left to get a few guys and the ones we have are damn good. We may miss in some areas but I think we have done very well on OL, TE, DL and QB. May ink one or 2 very good RB's and Lane and Jackson may stick. Still TBD but this class is far from a failure even if we were to get just the guys committed already.
  9. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Some people just prefer to focus on the people we don't land, rather than the ones we do.
  10. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

We always lose more recruits than we sign as we start with way more than we can take.
    I doubt we will stop playing football based on losing a recruit here and there.
    It would be great to get Carter and there is plenty of time to fill this class.
  11. alvarez16

alvarez16 Member

No, some people simply have higher expectations.

A lot of fans have become content with less. Take a look around, most people would be very happy if the Gators go 8-4 next year by justifying it with how we're rebuilding, have a new OC, lack playmakers, have a tough schedule, etc. You think in 2007-2009 we would have explained why that's a good record for Florida? No, it was and is a bad record. Period.

Unless you are a team like USF, Kentucky, Ole Miss, but not at Florida.

Why are people not happy with a borderline Top 10 class? Because since 2005 we've only had 2 classes be outside of the Top 5.

Just because we have declined on and off the field this year, doesn't mean we should lower our expectations.
  12. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

In 2007, we beat exactly one team in the regular season that finished in the top 25 (and lost to two ranked and one unranked, and lost to a third ranked team in the bowl).
    In 2008, we beat two teams in the regular season that finished in the top 25 (and lost to one ranked team).
    In 2009, we beat two teams in the regular season that finished in the top 25.

If we match our best two years among those three, we'll beat two top 25 teams in the regular season. Our schedule will almost surely have at least six top 25 teams, and possibly seven.

Food for thought. You do the math. If you think 2007 was okay, what record would that team finish with against the 2014 schedule?

And nobody thinks 8-4 is good. But expectations compared to the 2007-09 seasons should be played out looking at the schedules we're comparing to.
  13. alvarez16

alvarez16 Member

Understand your point. Relative to who we are playing, pulling off 8 wins would be great.

In general, I'm just seeing lower expectations and more excuses from our fanbase. I don't blame anybody as its expected when a team goes from a national championship team to 2 mediocre seasons and 1 horrible one just a few years later.

My point is that, regardless of how we played last year, we have to remember how good the Florida Gators have and can be. We CAN win the national championship, we CAN have the #1 recruiting class. My original comment was to argue somebody's post in this, "Some people just prefer to focus on the people we don't land, rather than the ones we do." We are not focusing on who we miss, we just want better results because we know we've had, and can have, the best recruiting class but you can only do that by overachieving.
  14. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Agree to wanting strong results.

Hopefully Roper and Summers are the right guys to help get us there. We know Champ can field an elite defense - we just need a good offense to go with it.
  15. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Right. Two things I think will make this a very good class compared to 09/10/11/12(13 tbd).:

1) We finish with a good pure RB, another serious offensive play maker or two at RB/WR/PR, and another solid DB, then happen to pull Prince or Carter. Personally I would like Prince. Ok, maybe it's a mistake to hope for Prince or Carter to make this a strong finish. So lets say we just get 3 more offensive skill players, a DB, and another OL/DL(that honestly look like they can get on the field in two seasons). That compromise is more realistic and a reasonable expectation. With coaching changes we might find a stud or two that would play for our team.

2) Two seasons from now we have 18(minimum 15) players from the class still on roster, still pumped, still training and developing. Crucial.

It's still kind of intriguing to look at our 09 class and wonder whatever happened to all those players. They evaporated.
  16. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

A top ten class mixed in with several top three classes is not going to keep the team from bouncing back. We filled some key positions and still have time to take care of some recent attrition. There is also the chance that we get a few very big names at more key positions before it's over and end up with a #7 or #8 class that compliments last year's group. Either way, we are moving forward, not backward.
  17. Colin

Colin Active Member

I vote we take 8 offensive linemen.
  18. moegator

moegator Active Member

My expectations have never dwindled. I am just maybe a little more realistic about our current situation and understand that we will not have a top 5 class every year. Is what it is. Also need to realize that we also had to fill some positions that in general do not come with a lot of stars (ie OL and TE) thus preventing us from having the star power we are accustomed to. I am also not so concerned as class rankings have proven again and again that there is no assurance of success (and yes I do know the law of averages on a class of 3 star vs 4/5 star). I expect Florida to recruit at the highest of levels year in and year out. If we were talking about a class in the teens to the 20's then I would share your sentiment. We finish top 10 and meet needs and there is no reason for any UF fan to hang their head.
    OaktownGator likes this.
  19. moegator

moegator Active Member

And BTW, just landed an EE 5 star in Tabor.
  20. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call it lower expectations; we're down right now. If you look at Michigan, Texas (supposedly the best and most awesome gig in the business), F$U, Miami, Nebraska, OU, USC, Auburn, Washington, Colorado, and pretty much every major program around college football, you'll see they've had "down" years over the last decade-with the exception of Alabama, and they DEFINITELY sucked before Saban got there. Sure, 4-8 is pretty bad, but any rational Gator can see what happened to this team over the last 10-12 months. It was the proverbial "perfect storm" of everything going wrong that could've possibly gone wrong.

So, I'd say it looks like we're recruiting pretty well. Yes, we lost Cook, and there's a good possibility that there could be other defects, but look for them to even out with Florida in on several big targets (Prince, Carter, A. Jackson, several decent RB prospects, etc...) going into next month. Even if we only get one or two to sign with us, that will pretty much cancel out the loss of Cook and possibly Lane. If Jackson wants to go, let him; we've killed it at corner. And if you look at who we brought in last year at RB and WR, you have to be impressed: seven talented players.

By the way, you do realize that Spurrier typically brought in classes that were outside the top-five, right? He'd pull in one of those monster hauls once or twice a decade, but he typically brought in top-ten classes, and Steve missed out on a whole lot of top prospects. I mean, Spurrier flat-out whiffed on some guys that could've put Florida over the top, and a lot of those guys went to Tallahassee to play for Bowden.

We may never recruit like 'Bama. They're coached by a guy who watches an hour of film to "get away". Who else recruits like Saban? The guy doesn't have a life. I think we're doing pretty well right now.
    gator7_5 likes this.