The building of the Jax video boards

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorGrowl, Jul 20, 2014.

1. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,259
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/20/s...deo-displays-proliferate.html?ref=sports&_r=1

BROOKINGS, S.D. — The seemingly endless prairie that blankets this part of the United States would seem to be an unlikely place for one of the largest makers of sports video displays, Daktronics. After all, the nearest big-league ballpark is a four-hour drive from this town, which has barely enough residents to fill any of the arenas and stadiums where the high-tech screens are fixtures.

Yet in the nearly half-century since its founding, the company has become a global giant in sports entertainment, and though the quiet, tree-lined streets may not show it, business is good.

Revenue grew by a healthy 6.5 percent last year, largely because of demand from the N.F.L. For months, hundreds of the 1,600 workers in the sprawling Daktronics complex off the interstate that runs between Omaha and Fargo, N.D., have been building gigantic video displays for N.F.L. teams in cities like Charlotte, N.C.; Cleveland; and Jacksonville, Fla., where two screens the length of a football field were installed behind the end zones and will be unveiled this week. Smaller screens will end up in the baseball, basketball and hockey homes of professional and college teams.
  2. g8rfan22

g8rfan22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,392
    And the Jags are projected to be the lead in the NFL with season tickets as of now. So to all those who continue to say the are moving to LA...Not so fast my friends!!
  3. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,571
    Source? I have serious doubts as to whether they have surpassed Green Bay or a number of other teams in that regards (are you thinking new season ticket holders?).
  4. fphingator

fphingator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    How fast can they take it down?No way those make it through a Cat 1 or greator.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. g8rfan22

Ratings Received:
    +1,392
    Yes...New...They don't have the history to compare to the likes of Green Bay. I'll look for the source. I heard it on sports talk radio, but they were quoting a source. It's probably because of all the cabana and large billboard hype, but it's still a positive for once for the Jags.

Personally I'm a Cowboys fan, but I like living in Jax.
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  6. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,571
    No need. That's what I thought.
  7. GolphinGator

GolphinGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +282
    Yea, they are lucky to get people to go when they give the tickets away. I know with the new owner and general manager I should give them another chance but just can't do it. Growing up here in Gainesville all we had were the Dolphins and I will still pull for them. At least the Bucks gave SOS a chance to play there although it almost got him killed. Jax has done nothing but recruit duds while they could have at least given Tebow a shot. They would have sold a lot more tickets while sucking than they did while they sucked anyway. Now that I think about it Tebow was better off without playing for them. :D
    • Like Like x 1
  8. navygator88

navygator88 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +218
    [​IMG]
  9. phideltgator

phideltgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +466

I see 50,000 modules flying through the air like Frisbees....
  10. thedude60

thedude60 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    30 miles up A1A and have been to 3 games since the firing of a Hall of Fame coach. their front office gets more abysmal with each draft. Bortles,who they have deemed a "redshirt" behind whats his name. Sammy Watkins, without a doubt the best offensive player in the draft we'll pass,, So, Gabbert, Bortles, wasted top five picks. Gotta say it, Tebow ??
  11. g8rfan22

Ratings Received:
    +1,392
    You guys think Tebow didn't have any part in NOT going to Jax? I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that he chose NY.

As good as Tebow is, he needs a system built around him and there aren't any owners willing to do that. (I'm prepared to be crucified...lol)
  12. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    To be fair, there are more teams incorporating primarily shotgun based spread option type offenses these days. You'd think TT could find a home at a team with that type of offense... if not for the circus that surrounds him.

As far as Jax goes, seems to me they would at least have had fan interest if they brought TT in. They might still have a chitty product on the field, but they're not doing much to try to put a good product on the field anyway.
  13. g8rfan22

Ratings Received:
    +1,392
    The problem is with the NFL, you don't bring a player to the team primarily for the small number of fans that it would make happy. The whole "bring Tebow to Jax campaign" looked rather silly when they staged a gathering at the stadium and only about 6 people showed up. I don't think the "circus" influences decisions too much. Tim did well at Denver; however he didn't do well in NY or NE. Personally I think he should be on a roster somewhere but I don't get to make those decisions.
  14. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    Didn't hear about the "6 person rally". That's interesting.

Personally, I wouldn't build a team around marketing gimics, but I would think TT would sell seats and gear in Jax.

We can agree to disagree on impact of the circus. Elway was in visible pain every time TT did something successful in Denver. He clearly wanted TT to fail and shut the circus up.

NE should have been a good place for TT to learn, with a clearly superior starter, so no controversy to egg on the circus. Apparently he just wasn't good enough... at least not for what they run there.
  15. g8rfan22

Ratings Received:
    +1,392
    I really don't know what Elway's problem was. If Tim would've stayed in Denver I think he would've done well.
  16. RattlerGator

RattlerGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,331
    The six-person rally meme is a joke. Yes, somebody put together an ill-conceived protest effort, and the City saw it as an ill-conceived effort and wisely ignored it, but make no mistake about it -- Tim is absolutely huge in Northeast Florida and would have put massive numbers of people in the stands. Myself included, coming all the way from Tallahassee.

That said, special accommodations would have been required for Tim's success. I think they should have been made because I still believe in Tim as a pro quarterback. I understand, however, why the Jags decided not to go in that direction. People outside of Jacksonville still have this truly weird need to believe certain nonsense about Big Duval and the Jags. Over the last three years they not only sell more tickets than the Bucs but they have more folks in the stands than the Dolphins. That's a fact, and they're not doing anything to get those people in the stadium that those clubs and a host of others aren't also doing. Yes, they are the junior member of the Florida pro football franchise club and thus have far fewer fans statewide but that was always going to be the case.

Bortles, IMHO, was an outstanding pick (so was their entire draft) and if you haven't noticed the upgrade in draft selections and free-agent acquisitions under this new regime, you're simply not paying attention. They've got their house in order now and their plan makes sense -- finally!

Now, if Shad can figure out a way to do something with the Shipyards property down around the stadium, and make that part of the river an entertainment destination for the city year-round, all will be well in the Florida Crown. Relatively speaking, that is.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  17. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +883
    I've lived in Jax for five years now and gone to a few games. The idea that they of all sports markets should be the one to move is absurd to me, as they have been playing piss-poor football and they still cram a bunch of people into those seats.

I think they are on the right track, honestly. I liked their draft a lot.
  18. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,132
    Weird. I thought this thread was about scoreboards....

I drive by them every day and have seen them being tested. They are unbelievable in size and definition
    • Like Like x 1
  19. g8rfan22

Ratings Received:
    +1,392
    It is but you know how we get sidetracked...lol

I hope to see many TD replays on them when we beat uga!!
    • Like Like x 1
  20. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,132
    Official unveiling is Saturday with a soccer match and a Carrie Underwood concert for free for season ticket holders. Love what the jags are doing