The biggest casualty of the shutdown so far is ...

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by MichaelJoeWilliamson, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +760
    Have a client who has been through some shutdowns. Said she loves it because they eventually get the back pay so she considered them a paid vacation.

Don't know if it's still true.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +760
    There ya go. It's true. This for the last shutdown.

A bill that provides back pay for furloughed Federal workers during the government shutdown unanimously passed the House during a rare Saturday session on Capitol Hill.

Some 800,000 federal workers have been stuck at home without pay since October 1 when Congress failed to pass a budget for the new fiscal year.

On Friday, the White House said the president would sign the measure.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...-to-give-furloughed-federal-workers-back-pay/
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MichaelJoeWilliamson

MichaelJoeWilliamson Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +497

http://ricochet.com/main-feed/When-The-Bleeding-Heart-Becomes-The-Iron-Fist
  4. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,708
    yes heaven forbid that one party should have to compromise on anything. everybody should just bow and tell the emperor how wonderful his robes are and how privileged they are to have the opportunity to gaze upon them and merely be in his presence.

0 has not compromised on anything since he took office. he finally invited the pub house members to the WH to tell them...surprise....that he would not compromise.

it is in our long term best interest that the separation of powers be honored and respected and that both parties learn to compromise.

this get in the back of the bus I'm driving now community organizer in the WH has created this environment and he owns it. Anybody that is remotely objective about it can see it. 0 created this animosity and now he wants to blame others for it. he is a classic passive aggressive narcissist
    • Like Like x 1
  5. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +630
    my taxpayer funded vacation has come to an end. I had to report to work today:awkward:
  6. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    You are apparently ignorant of the events surrounding the CR, so let me help you out:

The amount of the CR is what Boehner told Reid he had to have to get House Republicans to pass it. Reluctantly Reid and Obama said OK and that is still the amount in the CR bill the senate has passed and which Boehner proved to weak to deliver his promised votes on. Boehner admitted this Sunday.

On the budget impasse, the speaker acknowledged that in July he had gone to the Senate majority leader, Senator Harry Reid, a Nevada Democrat, and offered to have the House pass a clean financing resolution. His proposal would have set spending levels $70 billion lower than Democrats wanted, but would have had no contentious add-ons like changing the health care law.

Democrats accepted, but they say that Mr. Boehner then reneged under pressure from Tea Party conservatives.

“I and my members decided the threat of Obamacare” was so great, Mr. Boehner said, “that it was time for us to take a stand. And we took a stand.”​

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/07/u...s-to-raise-debt-ceiling.html?ref=johnaboehner

So, in a nutshell, you are totally wrong in your comments above and may want to amend them to conform with the facts.
  7. billfisher65

billfisher65 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +157
    I understand you are making a point based on his assertion, but are you saying that this is only on Boehner and his decision to reneg? Are politicians not allowed to say one thing and then do the opposite? Or does that only apply to pubs? Here are some examples of what I mean:

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/08/...ding-4-trillion-to-national-debt-unpatriotic/

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...nn-said-obama-voted-against-debt-limit-when-/

http://godfatherpolitics.com/11742/harry-reid-vs-harry-reid-hypocrisy-at-its-finest/
  8. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    My point was not politicians changing their minds, but the claim by Boehner and repeated here that Obama and the democrats won't "negotiate" with him. They already have and obviously should not negotiate further with a partner trying to hold a gun to their head who, by the way, has no credibility for being able to hold up his end of a deal.
  9. billfisher65

billfisher65 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +157
    Well I'll take a line from some of the lib posters in here that keep saying that "it's the will of the people to have Obamacare implemented. If they didn't they would have won the election." It works both ways maybe the crats should have picked up a few more house seats house and this wouldn't have happened.

I can't wait till the 17th when the debt ceiling vote comes up and we get to see the hypocrisy of Reid, durbin, schumer and presb0.

http://godfatherpolitics.com/8963/d...ng-obama-to-raise-debt-limit-by-lawful-means/
  10. MichaelJoeWilliamson

MichaelJoeWilliamson Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +497
    My goodness

http://www.weeklysta...ice_762277.html
  11. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +505
  12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,050
    Claude Moore used to be called turkey run, it is actually the park that got me into hiking, we had a corporate event there and I wandered off into the woods and skipped the rest of the corporate function :)
    The thing in all seriousness about that park though is that it is literally across the street from the CIA building. I can understand why they would want it patrolled or shut down.
    By the Way, Claude Moore also donated a park here in Loudoun county that I always enjoy. It has some 18th century buildings, a rec center, sports fields, hiking, a lake among other things. But Claude Moore was nothing more than a local doctor who spent much of his money buying up land before the suburbs sprawled all the way out here and then donated it back for parks. Pretty special guy.
  13. philobeddoe

philobeddoe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +181
    Interesting that Obama will sign a special piece of legislation but ..... Allows the Senate to sit on others.
  14. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +505
    Call me sceptical that the CIA trusts park service patrols to help with their security. I seriously doubt they even rely on police, or county and state troopers.