The best play I ever witnessed live

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by GatorPrincess8, Sep 1, 2014.

1. THEBIGFISH

THEBIGFISH Platinum Level Premium Member

I was in section 18 2008 Lsu game..first series 3rd and long bomb to Percy...at my angle all I saw was the defender jump 10 feet and tip it...but the swamp erupted shortly after...on our way to a throttling of Lsu...my buddy a Bama homer who was with said he understands now the power of BHGS...
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  2. g8rfan22

g8rfan22 Well-Known Member

It was loud the entire game!!
  3. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

That play to Percy was amazing.
  4. GatorPrincess8

surprised no one has mentioned Wrights hit on Kent.
  5. VanNoord

VanNoord Member

Man, that was a hell of a feeling, suddenly having that monkey off our backs.
    OaktownGator likes this.
  6. GatorPrincess8

7. GatorPrincess8

I just noticed on the SL we had a player named Massengill. ROTFLMAO
  8. NUM1GATRFN

NUM1GATRFN Well-Known Member

Absolutely. My fondest memories from my childhood were of Kerwin Bell and this pass, and his heroic comeback/2 pt. conversion against Auburn in the Swamp. Bell has always been my favorite Gator to this day. Also loved Ricky 'The Rocket' Nattiel and Frankie 'Goes to Hollywood' Neal.
  9. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Bell to Nattiel was one of my faves too. The stop on fourth down three plays earlier was awesome too.

Most electrifying play I ever say was Fisher to Chandler against Auburn in '76. Best open field running I've ever seen by a UF player.
  10. Pieisyummy

Pieisyummy Active Member

That had to have been most brilliant.

UF related, I was in the end zone for Tebow's jump pass, though Smith's INT with Nelson's lay out was probably my favorite play that day. Cooper's first play of note in his career as well on the fumble forced on the punt at the opposite end zone, if I recall correctly. Quezzie put on a show vs. Tenn in 97.

I can say the worst is unequivocally Zook's double reverse pass from whoshisface in the Outback Bowl against Michigan.

Also, on the subject, as the original great sportswriter of the South, here was Grantland Rice's answer to the question:
    http://www.vucommodores.com/genrel/120507aaa.html

The Germany Schulz mentioned was the first linebacker, figuring he could line up as the defensive equivalent of a shallower running back, and thus have less to go to snag one.
    GatorPrincess8 likes this.
  11. malligator

malligator Well-Known Member

I was a student at the time on the 50 in the student section. The whole section exploded. There was such a pressure wave traveling down the bleachers that the first couple of rows almost got ejected onto the field. I hyperventilated from cheering so loud. Good times.
  12. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Not a play when he was a Gator. But as a junior in high school Emmitt Smith was playing my high school in the first round of the state playoffs. He took a pitch right at midfield for a sweep that was well defended. He got stacked up by a host of would-be tacklers and his helmet was ripped off.
    He did not go down. Helmetless, he reversed field and broke several more tackles before being forced out of bounds at about the 10 yard line.
    His greatness was clearly evident.
    GatorPrincess8 likes this.
  13. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

I was at Bell to Nattiel, for those not of that vintage, you cannot know how HUGE it was to finally beat UGA, they had a bead on us through the 70's and early 80's like no other, a mirror image to SOS's hex on UGA during his reign at UF.

It wasn't only a 97 yard TD pass v a hated rival, at that time in the game it was something like 10-0, and UGA was trying to make some noise about getting into the game, they had us back at our EZ, and that TD put the game away, and it really got the party started.

That was when it was the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party, and Ohmigod, did that night live up to the name.
  14. SeaCay

SeaCay Well-Known Member

Sorry for the crappy video (not mine), but best play for me, in person, was the last play in the 2009 BCSCG. (Spolier alert: We won!)

15. urgatorbait

urgatorbait Member

I have a couple that weren't already posted. First was Percy's touchdown run against Tennessee in 2007. Partially because I was at that game (felt like it was 120 degrees out there) and partially because that was a 10 win team we crushed. Mostly though, it was because I had seen how talented Percy was his freshman year, but that was the moment that truly confirmed he was on an entirely different level than anyone else. There were at least four players with a perfect chance to tackle him, and not one so much as touched him.

16. urgatorbait

urgatorbait Member

The other was in a loss, but it's still one of the most impressive plays I've ever seen.

17. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Well-Known Member

Lots of good plays mentioned, so I'll throw out an honorable mention (well, two plays go hand-in-hand here). 1993 SEC Championship Game in Birmingham. FLORIDA led 14-10 at halftime, and couldn't get anything going in the 3rd quarter. Bama cuts the lead to 14-13 and our defense was starting to log a lot of plays. Shayne Edge (P) runs a fake for about 20 yards; the very next play it's Dean to Jack Jackson for a TD and FLORIDA gets the momentum back and extends the lead to 8.

Here's video of it (advance to 13:15 for these two plays in particular):

I especially like how Shayne puts his finger in the guys face who tackled him as if to say "hey man, nice tackle."

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  18. keefer

keefer Premium Member

The Hambrick int. return right before the half against UGA in '97 was incredible. Champ was starting safety in that game and Doering, Weurffel & Co torched him. Lol.
  19. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Well-Known Member

1994 in the SWAMP

6:38 for the play you are referencing:

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  20. RepubliGator84

RepubliGator84 Well-Known Member

Mr Moreno, Met Mr Spikes. How awesome that was after the previous years UGAg game