The aftermath of racial violence and race relations after the Zimmerman Case

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by MichaelJoeWilliamson, Aug 26, 2013.

1. reformedgator

reformedgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +172
    As it turned out the jury & most legal experts came to the same conclusion that the police did after examining the evidence, part of which was there was no reason to believe GZ was profiling, at least based on race. The FBI & the jury agreed.
    The notoriety to a large extent came after the media & certain individuals got involved & turned into something that it wasn't.
  2. sappanama

sappanama VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +123
    i was referring to you not MLK, to your broad brush not MLK, to your interpretation of history not MLK, to your knowledge? of others views not MLK, i was referring to your knee jerk liberalism/racism not MLK, to your credibility as to anything other than being a biased homer for the progressives you worship i didn't know MLK and most certainly you didn't either, i just wonder if he was still here would he be more disappointed in the civil rights leaders of today or more pleased with the progress the former anti civil rights leaders have made. would he be more proud of a mixed race president, or more disappointed by 75% single birth rate, happier that atlanta is a modern city that flourishes with whites and blacks and hispanics and asians all working together(not always perfectly) or more disappointed at the violence especially in the black communities, happier that we are moving toward character being the definer of a person, or disappointed by the lack of fathers leading families and displaying character in all races, would MLK be happier that herman cain ran a fortune 500 company, or disappointed in millions that don't work because they have it to hard, happier that so much has gotten better in spite of it being so hard, or disappointed in the excuses we make for it not being better. my grandfather met him and marched for and supported civil rights causes in the 50's 60's 70's from bham to hotlanta , his remembrances sound little like what you post of a man he had great respect for and who never allowed us to speak down about.
  3. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,657

Sloppy notions, borne from sloppy pre-conceptions and fanciful imaginations about other people's non-existent bigotry, all the while hoping for confirmation by someone other than a far left sycophant yelping in approval.
  4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,286
    Exactly! Wasn't he one of the ones blubbering about racism in the TM vs GZ case?
  5. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Sorry, but I lost my notes on your "record" on GZ, so I assumed your comments were intended in contrast to that case - that is the subject of the thread.

As to "black rage", I wouldn't classify the measured comments of the President and other successful blacks concerning the meaning of the case to them personally as "rage", nor did I label your otherwise inexplicable reaction as that of a "wannabe Klansman". As in the post I responded to you seem to have lost perspective.
  6. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +979
    It has become painfully obvious that its not those on the right who react to ones skin color first.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26

Good questions all that don't change the facts of what MLK stood for then and which I have accurately recounted, and for which he would be hated today as he was then by many if not most white people if he were still alive. Perhaps I met your grandfather back in the day.
  8. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +979
    Today's minority leaders could not possibly have strayed any further from what MLK's vision for America. It is with the democrats help, and the aid of an all too complicit media, that MLK's work has been prostituted into today's civil rights atmosphere.
  9. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    That's complete nonsense for which you have no proof.
  10. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +822
    Well, let's be honest, MLK was not MLK.
  11. MichaelJoeWilliamson

MichaelJoeWilliamson Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +497
    The bolded are the lies about the Martin case the left keep telling.
  12. MichaelJoeWilliamson

Ratings Received:
    +497
    Very good discussion from the WSJ

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...039193422035538.html?mod=rss_mobile_uber_feed
  13. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,049
    It can and should be discussed...but why is it that when it is mentioned, inevitably on these boards it comes with the diatribes like the one moc posted or such deterministic bulla like that from many on the right here, ascribing patently racialized stereotyping or sweeping generalizations about blacks in ways that they would never do for whites?

But even your 136 number is a quite a bit more complicated by contextual factors...

--Most violent crime in the US is intraracial, not interracial. (93% w/w; 86% b/b)

--Due to population size disparity, statistical probability alone would predict that blacks would more likely kill whites then vice verse since whites comprise 63% of the population while blacks only 14%.

--Homicides account for (only) roughly .46% of all violent crime (likely high estimate) while black on white homicides account for only about 6.8% of all homicides, .31% of all violent crime and .14% of all felony violent crimes.

--White on black homicides on the other hand account for about 3.4% of all homicides, .15% of all violent crime, and .07% of all felony violent crime.

--So while black on white homicide is about twice as likely than white on black homicide, the numbers are tiny compared to all homicides, and far smaller compared to all violent and seriously violent (i.e. felony) crimes.

Point being, that the same whining many on the right are doing about media bias in reporting on crime, they themselves are doing in exaggerating how often black on white homicides occur, whether as a percentage of all homicides or of all violent crime in general.
  14. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
  15. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    And why didn't we hear about these other white on black homicides (3.8% of all homicides)? Sharpton and Jackson just asleep at the switch?
  16. MichaelJoeWilliamson

Ratings Received:
    +497
    Very true

Not sure I agree with this. While on the one hand, the pool of white victims is larger than the pool of black victims, the pool of white perpetrators is also much larger.

These are interesting stats. The absolute numbers are still large enough to have a discussion of why they are so different.

If memory serves, the disparity of the black on white violent crime compared to the opposite is similar to murders and also bears discussion
  17. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,049
    I tried to make this point when the Trayvon Martin case first came up on these boards.

Why mass public interest in a single case that includes racial dynamics isn't often simply about race but a convergence of circumstances. With TM, part of the reason it got the attention it did--notably--about a month or so after the incident actually occurred--seems to me would be for a number of factors...in no particular order:

--Trayvon was a teen doing nothing wrong but walking home from a store and was subsequently killed by an adult under some particularly interesting newsworthy circumstances

--Sanford PD/Prosecutor didn't seem like they were going to charge GZ, likely due to the problems FL's SYG law had already causing fits to prosecutors in other cases

--Travyon's parents kept pushing the issue; hiring Benjamin Crump to bring public awareness to the case

--A few bloggers such as Ta-Nehisi Coates at The Atlantic, kept blogging about it before it became wide-spread national news

--Local media affiliate reporter of I believe NBC, sent the story to the national hq; thought case would be of national interest and was subsequently picked up.
  18. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,657

You don't hear anything of substance from either of those clowns about really, really recognizing and reaching down into the problems of the African American community, addressing them frankly, and really, really coming up with real-world solutions to solve them.

They do offer, however, much shallow gloss on top without addressing underlying issues (single parent households; lack of male presence in childrens' lives; lack of parental supervision; welfare-inspired, out of wedlock pregnancies; promotion and worship of thug / gangsta lifestyle; etc.); they pander generalized complaining and blaming; sophist / politico talk of disparity caused by Whitey's oppression; the need for the Government to throw much money at all problems (guaranteed to solve everything, and with appropriate trickle down kick-back to organizers, supervisors, and mouthpieces), etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., . . . . . . . ............................
  19. MichaelJoeWilliamson

Ratings Received:
    +497
    As long as attacking Zimmerman and beating him up is "doing nothing wrong."

Actually, they repeatedly stated that charges were not initially brought against Zimmerman because all the evidence supported his claim of self defense. Which we all saw to be true during the trial.

According to the police, when Martin's father was first told the reasons that Zimmerman was not going to be charged, he apparently understood.
  20. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,049
    Homicides are naturally of real interest, regardless of race, and it should be discussed. But whites kill a heck of a lot of people too but the percentage of all those who kill, black or white, are likely much smaller than even the percentage of total homicides, since those who kill are likely to do it more than once.

So even just taking the disparate homicide rates among African Americans, we should want to determine what percentage have actually killed, not just the percentage of homicides committed by African Americans.

I don't know what the true number is though I could probably find some decent estimates, but we do know that generally speaking, only a small percentage (even among blacks) of usually less than 5% are responsible for nearly 70% of all felony violent crime.

As for the probability, yes it's true that the percentage of offenders is higher, but simple probability alone would predict the racial disparity because that pool is much bigger for African Americans to kill whites than it is for the reverse.

Of course such a simple probability alone will not get us to the more appropriate causal reasoning for the disparities, but it plays a role in shaping those numbers.