THE ACC AND MARYLAND'S LAWSUIT IS GETTING NASTY

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gnvgator, Mar 27, 2014.

1. gnvgator

gnvgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,194
  2. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,565
    The ACC has some balls asking for that much money to leave the conference...especially when they pillaged 2 other teams from 2 different conferences in the same year.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  3. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,074
    This is getting good. Hope Maryland wins and destroys the ACC. Like the article stated, if a couple of more schools left for the big 10, the SEC would almost certainly go after Va Tech and UNC.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ufdocco

ufdocco Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +494
    Carolina would be very unlikely to join a football first conference, and VT strong armed their way into the ACC so I doubt they'd be too quick to jump into a conference where they'd rarely contend for a FB title.
  5. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,866
    The ACC was an aggrieved party, just like UWVa and Rich Rodriguez, and they could and should move forward in their suit...until they got Pittsburgh and Syracuse. After that I think they are playing a game of Tic-Tac-Toe and they are hoping that Maryland makes a bad move. Good luck with that one guys because you look really foolish.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,074
    No you definitely could be right but it'd be fun to watch it all unfold.
  7. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,011
    Fear the turtle!
    • Funny Funny x 3
  8. navygator88

navygator88 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +213
    I have a feeling folks in Tallahassee, Clemson, and Blacksburg are watching this closely. At this point the ACC is nothing more than a hodgepodge of schools with different values (athletically and academically) that if Maryland is successful it opens the floodgates.

I still think at some point the ACC football schools leave en masse (FSU, Miami, VT, Clemson, maybe 2 others) and merge with the Big 12.
  9. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,447
    Certainly possible if Maryland is successful as you say. ACC looks pretty strong now, though.

If there is an exodus, I'd watch out for VT and NC State to the SEC.
  10. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +655
    I stated when Maryland left that I expected this to be interesting and the article pretty much sums it up. I said back then that the ACC was still in trouble, even after they locked everyone else up.

Here's the real kicker as I see it, and I mentioned back then. The ACC is in a REALLY difficult position here because it's going to be very hard for them to enforce their buyout because Maryland never agreed to it. I'm not a legal expert but I have to believe that legally, it's almost impossible to enforce punitive penalties that were not agreed upon by the party. If I recall, Maryland did not even vote on the measure, immediately spoke out against the buyout publicly and announced they were leaving for the Big-10. In my mind, there's almost no way the ACC can enforce the penalty.

The ACC is in a very precarious position because they have to know this is a case they probably can't win, but absolutely can't afford to lose - because as the article states, all those other football schools (GT, FSU, Miami, VT and Clemson in particular) are just waiting for the opportunity to leave. But while they're all wanting to go, they all agreed to the huge buyout and would have a tougher time winning that case and don't have the money to fight it. They chose to let Maryland fight that fight for them.

And here's the reason I think the ACC is in almost a no-win position. In the end, if it goes to the courts, I believe the courts will not only side with Maryland, but may also nullify the new buyout because the conference buyouts are supposed to only cover revenues the conference will lose from the member leaving. What the ACC did was agree to a buyout that is punitive. That is a whole other legality issue and the courts may throw out the buyout completely - which is what I believe those other 5 football schools are really hoping for.

If that happens, the ACC would probably go back to the previous buyout, that was about $20 million, and Maryland will probably pay about half of that amount. And as soon as the buyout is nullified, you'll probably see those 5 schools try to escape the ACC.

As far as those 5 schools leaving will also be interesting because the question will be the timing. None of the conferences were willing to make the move at the time last year and it will be interesting to see if they will once the Maryland case is solved. While I think those 5 schools would all certainly be candidates for the Big-12, Big-10 and SEC, I'm not sure any of them are enticing enough that the conferences are going to want to make a move of opportunity. And what I mean by that is that Texas A&M was such a huge home run program that when they made themselves available, the SEC was willing to expand at that moment, even though they really didn't want to, just for the opportunity to get Texas A&M. It was just too good for the SEC to pass up. Had Texas A&M not presented that opportunity, I suspect the SEC would probably still be at 12 teams.

I don't think any of those 5 ACC schools I listed becoming available would be viewed by the SEC as an "opportunity" that's too good to pass up. Not sure the Big-10 would jump either. The only conference that might jump is the Big-12. The 1 and only ACC school that I personally believe would be viewed as an opportunity too good to pass up by the SEC would be UNC. They are probably the only true home run ACC program that I see pushing the SEC to expand. Then and only then, the SEC might take VT to get to 16. The only other program in the country I see possibly being a big enough "opportunity" capable of pushing the SEC to expand would be Oklahoma, but that's unlikely to happen.

As much as it would potentially hurt the ACC, I think they would probably be wise to settle with UVA for maybe $12-15 million, which is more than they'd probably get going to court. That may destabilize the conference and if opportunity arose, they might risk bigger schools like FSU or Clemson challenging the buyout, but I would think the ACC has a MUCH stronger case for enforcing the buyout against those schools because they agreed to it.

But in my opinion, they have almost zero chance of winning the case against Maryland and they take the risk of the courts completely nullifying the new buyout based on it being punitive, which would almost ensure those schools try to leave and seal the ACC's doom.
    • Informative Informative x 4
  11. navygator88

navygator88 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +213
    ^^ FSU also voted against the buyout. So if that argument works for Maryland, I expect FSU to send out feelers to the other major conferences.
  12. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +655
    FSU may have voted against it, but they accepted the terms (because they had no other choice) and never spoke out against them. Therefore, they would probably be legally bound. I believe BC and Maryland were the 2 who spoke out publicly against it. And Maryland was the only school that was proactive about fighting it immediately.

But I agree that FSU will continue to send out feelers. Their problem is that nobody really wants them. They've begged the SEC every chance they've gotten and lobbied hard this last expansion round for the Big-10, but it doesn't appear FSU is part of either conferences expansion plans, at least not near the top of the list.

It seems that the Big-10's top 2 targets may be UVA and GT (Big-10 desperately wants to get into the Atlanta TV market). And the SEC's stance would appear to be that it's not going to expand again until it's either forced to. But like I said, I think UNC calling the SEC would probably be the one thing that might make the SEC consider expanding.

The Big-12 is probably FSU and Clemson's most likely landing spot. I think it would have already happened if Texas didn't put Clemson on the back burner trying to woo Notre Dame. I believe FSU and Clemson were pretty much a done deal until Clemson got it's feelings hurt. But in the end, the Big-12 is probably the only real hope for both schools, so Clemson will have to swallow it's pride. The problem is that the Big-12 isn't in much better shape than the ACC.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  13. llm85

llm85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +671
    The ACC has already signed their own death warrant. They have admitted Louisville, a school that, once joining the ACC next year, will have been a part of 8 conferences over their history.
    • Funny Funny x 1