1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

The 5 Gators Who Will Need to Have Big Years for us to Make Atlanta

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ArtDeco, Aug 19, 2014.

1. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,325
    I've made so many comments on other peoples lists, I guess I owe it to the board to make my own.

1. Driskel
    2. Humphries
    3. Dunbar
    4. Cummings
    5. VH3

Rationale for each and rationale for omissions-

1. Driskel is a no-brainer. If he doesn't have a great year, UF doesn't have even a good year.

2. Neither Driskel nor our running backs will be successful if Humphries doesn't progress a lot from where he left off from his injury. He is the best high school OL we've signed in years. It's time to see him play like that, consistently. I think the rest of the OL will emulate whatever he does.

I know that RBs are important but Roper will not depend enough on any one of them to put them on a list of five.

Love McGee, but with all the depth between TE and the B-Back, I don't see him quite in the top five. I could be proven wrong. I do think he'll be the best and the most productive since he whose name we cannot say.

3. Dunbar is already our most reliable receiver and has caught some of the most difficult throws Jeff has ever made. He is the team leader at the position, has the most fundamental skills and is one of two or three guys Jeff will look for when he's got to get the ball away (That's as many as he can check off). I think we'll rotate six or seven WRs, but Q is the one guy who will barely leave the field.

Love our DEs and think they will have monstrous years. It seems like a crime not putting Fowler on the list, but his impact will depend a lot on the rest of the front four and the secondary. If they do their job, he will get double digit sacks, a couple of picks and be the Lombardi winner.

Love our LBs, but there are so many now with Taylor and Ball all grown up, Morrison's potential to be a star and the development of the current sophomores and RS freshmen, that we won't depend on one much more than the others. They do need to perform very well as a group.

4. What our defense does up front inside will determine what it can do everywhere else. I could have named Orr, but Cummings is the one most likely to disrupt the pocket on passing plays and most likely to make contact with a RB, slowing him down for our LBs to finish him off at or near the LOS.

5. Hargreaves is going to have a huge year, assuming he isn't injured. There is no most important position in the secondary. The most important position is wherever your most disruptive player is. Five to seven picks, or two pick sixes can turn the momentum around against ANY opponent. Forcing opponents to throw to the opposite side of the field will make a good QB and good receivers much less effective.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,972
    Good points. Agree with this take, but would add that Herndon is the most similar back we have to KT. He has the vision, lateral agility, burst and power. He almost never gets discussed in these threads and I can see why with the depth we have, but if KT went down for some reason and we needed his skillset on the field, Herndon is the guy best equipped to deliver. IMO.
  3. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,658
    Since we can only pick 5, I go with the 5 O-linemen. Our offense can eat up big chunks of yards between the 20s but unless we can run the ball down close to the goal line then scoring TDs is definitely a question mark. Everything else (except for turnover margin) is gravy, IMO.
  4. johnl

johnl Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +544
    Then Driskel just throws short of the first down every time.
  5. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,349
    I would say the O-line, but honestly they don't have to have "big" years, as the post headline says, just good, relatively healthy years.

Here are my 5: Driskel, Taylor, Hardin, Fowler, Bullard.
  6. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    ?explain
  7. johnl

johnl Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +544
    Driskel gets great pass protection and does nothing with it, or worse.

But hey, its still the offseason and apparently he's been "very good."

And Roper- everyone's excited about him. We'll believe it when we see it. Good night.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,300
    [​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 3
  9. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    lol it is always funny to see a grown man cry about a college football players play. Driskel gets time he has always been pretty good. I am not really that excited about Roper just another OC to me. I don't even think Muschamp is that excited about Roper. What excites me and what seems to excited Muschamp is we finally have talent at the WR position. Now we have to see if Summers can get them to block and Roper can call plays they can block which is why I picked the 5OL need to big year.
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +156
    1. Driskel
    2. LT
    3. FG kicker
    4. 1 DT
    5. CB opposite VH3
  11. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,972
    Talent in all our position groups on offense is the best it's been sice 2009, and that will definitely help Driskel.

But I wouldn't under play Roper's value. If he has the QBs making good quick decisions and JD throwing accurate catchable vertical passes with some air under them, that's already two big wins for JD and this offense.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. ctresh

ctresh Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +673
    I would have to say...
    #1 of course Driskel - We need him to be confident and accurate
    #2 Humphries - Hopefully he figures something out
    #3 Bullard - He absolutely needs to show up and take blockers off of Fowler
    #4 CB opposite VHIII - We really need someone to lock down the other side of the field. Having true freshman play high quality SEC football in back to back years is unheard of, but if anyone could do it Tabor/Jackson/Dawson could.
    #5 This was a tough one and I think they're equally important so I'm going to go with our Kicker (whoever that may be) and Robinson - We need a reliable kicker again because we won't win these close games without one, and we need somebody to step up and get open for Driskel and I think Robinson is our guy.
  13. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,475
    I will go with people that I need to see that I am not as confident in, to name vh3 doesn't make sense to me..

1)Orr we need to be stout up the gut against the heavies or we got not chance
    2) back up dt's see above
    3) Offensive line(the groups health)
    4) an explosive, Powell or Robinson either will do
    5) a safety that can keep a lid on the opposing offenses..

6) would be lb play, I put them at 6 because champ seems content with them, I remain unconvinced...