The 5 Gators Who Will Need to Have Big Years for us to Make Atlanta

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ArtDeco, Aug 19, 2014.

1. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +907
    My votes are for:
    Driskel
    Kelvin Taylor
    Dante Fowler
    Keanu Neal
    TE McGee

That's a minimum requirement. If we get great years out of Debose/DRob and Gerald Willis, look out!
    What is your list?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,994
    Driskel
    Jones
    D Rob
    Fulwood
    McGee
  3. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,007
    Driskel + 4 OL
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. g8tr80

g8tr80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,119
    Driskel x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. garettk

garettk Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +301
    Best answer possible...... Except possibly: "five offensive linemen".
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,994
    Offense
    Defense
    Special teams
    Coaches
    Waterboy
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,341
    This
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +81
    I'm defining big as exceeding expectations, so I think one or possibly two of the five have to be WR's.

UF's starting OLine, if healthy, are good SEC OLinemen so they don't have to have a big year, they just have to stay healthy. Same with the RB's, as there is proven talent.

UF does not have any proven WR talent going into the season and a WR or two has to step up and show that they must be accounted for in the passing game. If this doesn't happen, opposing defenses will be able to focus on the running game and force the offense in passing situations. This might be more difficult as there hasn't been a UF WR in 5 years who has gone over 600 yds receiving, so the younger guys have not had anyone to look up to and learn from. Add in that it is the first year in a new offense and there is a new WR coach, so the challenge just became a little bigger.

I'm not saying that it can't happen, just that it is a hurdle UF has to clear in order to make it to Atlanta.
  9. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    the 5 OL
  10. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,568
    Love Jones and I think he will be a difference maker, but he won't even be a starter. Plus, I don't think you can leave out the entire defense.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,341
    It will be very interesting to see who gets the nod at RB, but it probably won't matter much either. There will likely be a committee approach. Muschamp has, however, shown a tendency to play veterans and stick with starters. I expect Jones to start.

Defense was left off most people's list because the perception/anticipation is that they will be fine. We are in dire need for offensive stars to emerge.
  12. GoGators1022

GoGators1022 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +206
    Driskel
    LT (Humphries, Green, or Johnson)
    D-Rob
    Kelvin Taylor
    Dante Fowler
  13. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,068
    FG kicker (who ever can make 40 yd.+).
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +885
    More Like:

Offense
    Defense
    Special Teams
    Coaches
    SmootyGator

I did terrible on my game day shirt selection. I'll tighten up this season, I swear! :D
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,146
    Jeff Driskel
    Dante Fowler
    DJ Humphries
    Austin Hardin
    Demarcus Robinson

Almost made the list:
    Antonio Morrison
    Keanu Neal

Reasoning:
    If UF wants to get to Atlanta, they need their QB to have a fantastic year. However, in order for that to happen, he needs some help. He needs strong blindside protection from DJ Humphries and he needs a dynamic pass catcher that can beat defenses deep, and on short throws, in Demarcus Robinson. If those three guys on offense have great seasons, it will be very difficult to beat UF. On defense, Dante Fowler is really the key to me. If he blows up and has a great season rushing the passer, the UF defense will be dominant. And the last selection is Austin Hardin, because UF left 30 points on the field (not counting times they were afraid to kick and went for it) minimum, last year because of a weak kicking game. If Austin Hardin has a great year, UF will score more points and will be that much more automatic in the red zone.

Honorable mention - UF needs someone to protect the back end and prevent the big play. That to me will be Keanu Neal. If he has a big year, it will make the UF defense that much more impenetrable. Antonio Morrison needs to have a good year stopping the run.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. rmfleone06

rmfleone06 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +218
    Jeff Driskel- no secret here, just like last year he needs to be healthy and take care of the ball for UF to have any chance.

DJ Humphreys- needs to live up to his hype to give Driskel a better chance of staying healthy.

Jake McGee- having a guy of this size creating mismatches is awesome. If he is effective this will open the passing game up.

The other CB- This player has to step up whoever it ends being. If we can stay strong in the secondary this will be the best defense at Florida for a while.

Almad Fulwood- I have been a fan of his since he committed. Biggest WR in a long time with great top end speed. IMO he will be the biggest weapon on this team this year. If he can stretch the field then UF will have a great season.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,116
    If we really can get the ball out quickly, we can be successful even with an average O-line performance.
  18. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,439
    From the outside looking in, this makes complete sense.

I think you're going to see that with the addition of functional TEs, return of Debose, and maturity of DRob and Fulwood (among others), our receivers will be very good. Add in the RBs and B Back position, and we'll have a lot of very good weapons, and probably no way for opposing defenses to successfully take away one aspect of our offense and shut us down. Which they could easily do the last few years.

I am with GatorSean on the OL and Driskel being most important. If those guys play well, our skill position players are going to put up big numbers. We could go to a top 20 offense this year if that happens.

Until I see it happen though, I am not convinced our OL and QB positions will play at that level consistently. Still having some bad flashbacks. Season can't get here soon enough.
  19. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +374
    Agreed. If JD plays well and the oline blocks well we won't just get to Atlanta, but we will leave with the hardware.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,568
    Taylor will be the starter. Nobody else has the combination of size, five yard burst and cutting ability and knack for hitting the hole that he does. Those skills cover the most basic facet of our running game. Jones and Powell are our best receivers out of the backfield and both of them breakaway threats running or receiving. Matt ran in an unusual offense in high school and does not have a lot of experience running between the tackles, nor is he really built for that. There will be enough plays called for him that do make the most of his skills for him to be an offensive star on this team. If we run out of a power formation, pull a guard and run a toss sweep, Matt is gone. He's got James Jones' frame and almost Neal Anderson speed. He has not just the best hands of all the running backs, but nearly the best hands on the team. I see him lining up on the LOS and running slants. I seem him running screens from out of the backfield and I can see him running deep. In some of his high school clips, he looked like a high D1 prospect as a WR. He could easily exceed Taylor in all purpose yardage, but I don't think he will start ahead of him. I do see them in the backfield together on some occasions.