The 2 likely teams to play in the NC are ranked 42 and 52

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by geauxgator1, Dec 3, 2013.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,425
    Hastings - you make some good points. Meyer is a well respected coach and probably second behind Saban in the minds of most CFB fans at this point. FWIW, OSU closed as a 7 point favorite against us in that title game. Here is an interesting link on all the BCS CGs from Vegas Insider.

While I don't like how Meyer left our program, I recognize he's a very strong coach, and don't view OSU unfavorably because of Meyer. The biggest issues to me in this discussion are SOS, which has been pretty weak for OSU for several years now, and the fact that one loss SEC Champs have proven themselves again and again. It may be cliche, but to be the best, you've got to beat the best.

In a two team race, at this point in time, the SEC Champ has to be one of the teams, unless the SEC is just clearly way down. The SEC is down a bit this year. But the the conference that is closest - the PAC, doesn't have a horse in this race. And that goes to show what happens when conferences get more tough teams in them - the top teams pick up losses.

I certainly won't lose any sleep over who ends up going, but IMO the BCS won't be determining the true national champion unless the SEC Champ is one of the two teams in the BCS CG.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. hastings15

hastings15 Member

Ratings Received:
    +21
    That's a fair viewpoint. And one that looks to the past to give rationale to the present. So to stay consistent, voters could look at Meyer's impressive historical track record OR they could go also back to last year and say Ohio State is the only team in the nation that hasn't lost a game in 2 years. You can talk about SOS all day long, but I'll also throw out another cliche which is you can only go up against the teams in front of you. Ohio State has done that 24 times in a row and won 'em all.

Let's combine our viewpoints. Assuming both teams win this weekend, how about OSU vs. Auburn for all the marbles? Noles can go to the Orange Bowl. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,425
    You're a strong advocate for your team. :D

As far as the Noles go, as long as they have the Jameis Winston rape case hanging open, I think there is a legit concern about whether they belong there. He is clearly a big time difference maker for their team.

What happens if the week after they beat Duke, charges get filed? Does the Nole team really belong there? What about the university apparently not investigating sexual assault charges against their QB? Penn State got hammered on a similar issue for a guy that was not even a member of their team in any way. Noles could end up vacating the entire season.

Auburn against OSU. I can see that.
  4. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  5. hastings15

hastings15 Member

Ratings Received:
    +21
    The author appears unaware that the purpose of the BCS computers is to take in all this information - including SOS - and with no bias and no emotion and no preconceived notions determine the rankings of all teams.

Overall, the computers clearly have FSU at #1, Ohio State at #2, and Auburn at #3 after taking all SOS considerations into account.
  6. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,272
    Well, TCU is now in the Big XII, but Boise State and NIU is a differnt matter:

* Boise State got CRUSHED by Washington, 38-6, and lost to three teams with largely mid-major schedules. In the BiG, the entire conference lost three games (two to NIU). I doubt Boise State would be ranked this year. At their very BEST, sure, they could be ranked, but at their very best, they could be ranked in the SEC as well. If Arkansas, USCe, the Mississippi schools and Vandy can be ranked, why not Boise State?

* NIU did beat two BiG teams, but those teams were Purdue (1-11), and a 3-point upset of Iowa. If they played in the BiG with Ohio State's schedule, they would probably lose to Wisconsin, Northwestern, Penn State and Michigan. If they swapped schedules with Illinois, they would probably lose to Washington, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Penn State, Ohio State and Northwestern (perhaps upset a couple of them). Still not ranked.