The 139th Kentucky Derby - 4:00 P.M. ET Saturday NBC

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by RayGator, May 3, 2013.

1. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,827
    #16. Orb 7-2, Jockey Joel Rosario, wins the Kentucky Derby in 2.02.89 minutes. 5 straight wins! :)

$12.80 $7.40 $5.40

If I have this right the next few in the finish:

Golden Soul
    Revolutionary
    Normandy Invasion
    Mylute
    Oxbow
    Giant Finish
  2. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,205
    Mint Julep History:

[​IMG]

"The mint julep appears to have its roots in the Arab world, according to Chris Morris, master distiller for Woodford Reserve Bourbon and a spirits historian. Morris says today's julep began centuries ago as an Arabic drink called the "julab," which was made from water and rose petals. As the julab migrated to the Mediterranean, that region's indigenous mint replaced the rose petals.

1700s - Mint juleps have been served in the south since the 1700s. A visitor in 1774, describing the southern menu and especially breakfast as being overly luxurious, observed that the average planter rose early and had his drink (because a julep before breakfast was believed to give protection against malaria).

1816 - The Old White Tavern in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, later the Greenbrier Hotel, was famous for its mint juleps.

The oldest account book at the resort dates to 1816 and it reveals that guests were ordering “julips” at a cost of twenty-five cents or three for fifty cents.

Excerpt from John H. B. Latrobe and His Times, 1803-1891, by John Edward Semmes, Published by The Norman, Remington co., 1917, states that the 1832 journal of well-known Baltimore lawyer John H. B. Latrobe (1803-1891) wrote:

“I saw here for the first time a hailstorm, that is to say, a mint julep made with a hailstorm around it. The drink is manufactured pretty much as usual and well led with a quantity of ice chopped in small pieces, which is then put in the shape of a fillet around the outside of the tumbler where it adheres like a ring of rock candy and forms an external icy application to your lower lip as you drink it, while the ice within the glass presses against your upper lip. It is nectar, they say, in this part of the country.”

1865 - Prior to the Civil War (1861-1865), brandy or whiskey was common in a Julep, but after the war and the poverty of the South, gave rise to the use of less expensive bourbon.

1875 - The racetracks' clubhouse began mixing mint juleps around 1875. The drink really became popular and became the track's signature libation in 1938 when the management began charging 75 cents for the drink and the small glass vessel it came in. Every year during Derby week at Churchill Downs, more than 80,000 mint juleps are served.

Kentuckians maintain that when a mint julep is made right, you can hear angels sing. Always made with fresh mint, Kentucky bourbon, and plenty of crushed or shaved ice, it is the official drink of the Kentucky Derby. Traditionally, mint juleps are served in silver or pewter cups (which frost better than glass). Thousands of mint juleps are served every year at the Derby, on the first Saturday in May, at Churchill Downs, and at weekend Derby parties around the nation."

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beverage/MintJulep.htm
  3. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,827
    Love your stuff Jag! You always amaze me with with all the stuff you know to add to the threads. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,205
    Thanks Ray. Every May I hear Mint Julep discussed a lot and thought I should research the history. I find it interesting and had no idea that its roots come from the Arab world.

With that said, a mint julep is too sweet for my taste.
  5. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,827
    Not sure but I may like a Mint Julep. Don't think I've ever had one. I do know I like the white wines a lot better than I do the red wines. And white wines are sweater.
  6. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,066
    Oh yeah. Beer tents everywhere, they sell a limited number of mixed drinks, and of course the Mint Julips. $7 for domestic beer, $8 for imports (Guiness, acouple of others.) The mixed drinks are double digits. Food is good but also stupid expensive. They sell those Bam Bam Rubble turkey legs, pulled pork, and chains have booths too (Pizza Hut, KFC, others.) I don't remember the exact price but a personal pan pizza was like $12. And Johnsonville brings "the world's largest grill" in. A tractor trailer that has a two level, full length of the trailer grill with about a dozen people grilling hotdogs nonstop.

So if you plan to go early, stay all day, and imbibe and eat the whole time, you're well over $100 just on the food and drink. But it's worth it, IMO.
  7. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,827
    The Finish Line

Time 2.02.89

#1. Orb $12.80 $7.40 $5.40 Won by 2 1/2 lengths on sloppy track.

#2. Golden Soul $38.60 $19.40

#3. Revolutionary $5.40

#4. Normandy Invasion
    #5. Mylute
    #6. Oxbow
    #7. Lines of Battle
    #8. Will Take Charge
    #9. Charming Kitten
    #10. Giant Finish
    #11. Overanalyze
    #12. Palace Malice
    #13. Java's War
    #14. Verrazano
    #15. Itsmyluckyday
    #16. Frac Daddy
    #17. Goldencents
    #18. Vyjack
    #19. Falling Sky
  8. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,066
    Golden Soul pushed the $2 exacta to almost $1000 and the $1 trifecta well over $3k. Great payout if for some reason you played a super long shot. But that was a good wager. A co-favorite boxed with the big odds payout, or two favorites with Golden Soul.
  9. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,827
    So, you're telling me you made a lot of money at The Derby! :)
  10. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,066
    I wish! I didn't go and didn't even bet. But I probably wouldn't have had the gut to take a 50-1 (went off around 38-1 I think, so there was some decent dough pushing the libe down) in an exacta. But if you told me you did, I'd probably believe it because it's not crazy to put him in with the faves in a box or something.

As opposed to a a couple years back when the $1 tri paid over a cool million. Anyone picking that is either a savant or an idiot. More likely the latter. I don't believe a savant wouldn't be playing the ponies, generally.

My best lean finished 5th. But one year, in the iconic photo that the Lexington Herald publishes showing the whole field head on as the winner hits the line, my $100 to win horse was so far back and small in the picture that it could have been a stray dog that wandered onto the track. So maybe I'm trending back up!
  11. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,827
    Net up, The Preakness! Do we get a Triple Crown Winner this year?
  12. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,066
    BTW, BYOB to the Preakness. And the track is located dead in the middle of the very sketchiest parts from The Wire. And there is minimal security as opposed to the police state conditions at the Derby.

And since the (co)favorite made it through the Derby, TC chances are better than usual. Which is to say low instead of exceedingly low.