The 1% work harder and should be emulated

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by g8orbill, Feb 6, 2014.

1. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +986
    I emulate their ability to earn/success in business, not how they live their personal lives.
  2. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,926
    And how deceptive that can be sometimes. Many so-called millionaires are cash poor.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. LittleBlueLW

Ratings Received:
    +986
    It's Zell and his overly broad characterizations of the 1% came to be that everyone has a problem with. I can see that now. Thanks.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +5,926
    For Zell to even make such a claim is as arrogant as it is ignorant and those who support such a claim are equally ignorant. Most hard working people simply will not reach the 1%. It's just self-serving claptrap.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. gatorpa

gatorpa Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +301
    No they came here because we have more opportunity to get ahead than pretty much anywhere in the world.
  6. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +442
    I'm betting you emulate the ideal, not the individuals. And that's perfectly valid and in a vacuum, I don't know how I could mount any sort of meaningful argument. Work hard as hell, make mostly smart decisions, catch a break here and there, and do it with integrity and morals--get rewarded, quite possibly with a ton of dough. Bravo! I can't imagine we're not all on the same page with that.

It's the italicized parts that many who lecture us on the bolded parts fail to acknowledge or adhere to. I think that elicits frustration, not envy. I'm not saying there isn't any wealth envy; of course there is. One of my former co-workers used to say "I can find a shaved dog on the Internet." I'm not sure exactly what that means, but I think he's saying "Yeah, I can find anything if I look hard enough." Plus it cracks me up.

Anyway, it's no attack on you Blue. That's why I said I'd be shocked if anyone here would emulate Zell. Just from these boards I'd bet a substantial amount of my sub-1% money that you'd forgo many of the gains that Zell hasn't. You likely possess some key positive characteristics that he lacks. In fact, much better advice is probably: Zell should emulate LittleBlueLW.

Now don't turn out to be some kind of serial killer or something!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. SydneySLee

SydneySLee Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    If you want to work harder to make the 1 percent then putting on roofs all day doesn't make you a hard worker. Nor would working double shifts at the McDonald's drive thru. But if you wanted to be a 1 percenter, working on roofs during the day and getting a degree in a trade/job that would allow you to make more than 400K a year would be considered working harder. It is more about working smarter if your goal is to make a certain amount of money.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,083
    I don't disagree with working smarter even if that in no way guarantees you will make it to the 1%. However it still doesn't address my point, which is his remark about one percenters having arrived where they are because they are harder workers. That's his words, not mine. As far as not being a hard worker if you put on roofs all day we will just have to disagree.
  9. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +5,926
    SZ's words make little sense considering the 1% is the "1%." IOW, the odds of anyone making it there are so tiny that regardless of how hard people work it's chance.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. gatorpa

gatorpa Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +301
    Notice all I got from FS was....... crickets[1].gif

Need to start calling him The Drive-By
  11. DeanMeadGator

DeanMeadGator '63 Gator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +140
    It find it so interesting that everyone agrees more jobs are needed, but disparage those who create them. Does anyone remember Sam Walton and/or Steve Jobs? They became very rich based on innovation and other talents.

How many jobs did they create? How many jobs remain?
  12. LittleBlueLW

Ratings Received:
    +986
    You write the truth and are too kind, sir.

PS- No bodies in the back yard!
  13. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,041
    What industry do most new millionaires come from?
  14. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,927
    According to the Forbes 400 list the top 10 are:
    Investments 96
    Technology 48
    All retail 45
    Food & Bev 39
    Media 38
    Energy 28
    real estate 26
    Service 24
    Manufacturing 18
    Health Care 14
  15. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +442
    It really shouldn't be that intriguing. I disparage nutwads. Create a million jobs, be cool or be a nutwad. But don't think this "jobs creator" tag is some kind of force field that shields you from criticism. That "bubble" thing is a joke that's making fun of these people, not a real thing.

So what all do you accept from "job creators"? When one blatantly disrespects you, are you truly appreciative that they talked to you at all, or when you take it are you secretly, deep down inside, slightly offended?
  16. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,067
    I was watching Real Sports Last night. And they profiled the Sacramento kings owner.
    He is Indian from a privileged family, but after hearing the moon landing on Radio he decided the US was the place to be. He moved to Boston with $50 dollars in his pocket, made ends meet by fixing radios. All he did was earn three degrees from MIT and Harvard , and then start a business which is now worth somewhere around a billion dollars.
    When his daughter decided to start playing basketball and her team needed a coach, he decided to take the job despite never even having touched a basketball. He took to math and realized that turnovers were the key stat, so he taught his team a full court press and went undefeated.
    When the kings were moving to Seattle, he put together an ownership group to keep them in town, he now is the principal owner.

I am sure the dude works his butt off and should be commended for his foresight. But the difference between the 60 or 80 hours a week he works vs. the single parent working two jobs, is that he understands how to work to provide value that others can't. John Wooden used to say that effort doesn't equal achievement, some folks understand how to maximize their effort/gain ratio.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +934
    I've made more money not working than I ever made working, and it's not even close.

I made some smart investments, and I made some lucky investments. The "work" involved in setting up those investments was trivial. It was not hard or difficult by any measure.
  18. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +661
    Did you spend time researching each opportunity before you invested capital earned in other endeavors? What is your time worth?

That research time was not spent relaxing, playing, or otherwise being distracted - so what would you say you were doing before you made the decision to invest?

Did you educate yourself to gain the knowledge to make wise investments? What was / is the cost of obtaining that knowledge?

Don't delude yourself, you worked for it.
  19. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,683
    I would rather emulate my father that owned a gas station and sent five kids through college. That was a man that gave his life and sole to his family. What more can you ask for.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +934

Nope, didn't spend time investigating each opportunity. Largest investment by far was in the company I worked for, Microsoft. Got stock options (and ESPP) let them vest, and held. Then when I cashed those in, I hired an investment advisor and he does all the research, buying, and selling for me now. I talk to him maybe once a month for at most an hour. It's not hard work at all, don't delude yourself.