The 1% work harder and should be emulated

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by g8orbill, Feb 6, 2014.

1. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +914
    Being a millionaire doesn't get you in the 1%. You still have another $8 million to go to get in that club.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,807
    Wow- i only have 6 to go
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,047
    Do you think that starting out with a few hundred million or maybe a billion or so gives them a head start to making more? I mean they can hire all kind of consultants, attorneys, financial advisers, and the like from the get-go. This is not a knock on them so much as a reality. Not only that they are normally raised in a culture that understands how to handle money. That is in direct contrast to some poor kid who never had anything that suddenly finds himself with millions and really has little clue as to how to manage it.
  4. gregthegator

gregthegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +278
    all I got say is look at history...the 1% now control MORE than in 1929...it ain't healthy folks...how MUCH IS ENOUGH???

It won't end pretty...it never has in THE history of mankind...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,914
    For example, Sam Walton's children are on the list. They worked with their dad when the company was small and just a small startup. Forbes puts them in the inherited category but they were there working from day one. They contributed to the growth of the company as well. They were worth millions growing up.

I don't disagree with your points for some, money does provide opportunity, but not everyone who is in the "inherited" category had it all handed to them.
  6. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +914
    You obviously don't work hard enough, you need to emulate the 1%.
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,047
    I still return to the original post where they are supposed to have worked "harder." Harder than whom? The guy who puts on roofs all day in the Florida sun? The woman who works two jobs to support her children? The coal miner? The mechanic who has his own shop and works from early to late? Just who is that this 1% worked harder than? If it is the welfare recipient sitting on their ass watching TV all day then I would agree. What I don't agree with is the broad sweeping statement he made.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,653
    Can't disagree with this.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,922
    Sam Zell's utterly bogus argument deserves only mocking.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    Lol... You must be an AAW type...
  11. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +440
    The video that started this thread even has a sound byte where he says the rich can afford to pay people to figure complex things out on their behalf. I didn't make that part up.

I haven't seen anyone say that all rich people got that way by inheritance, trusts, etc. I did, however, hear Zell say that the rich work harder than everyone else, without a qualifier. IOW, all of them.

Growing up in coal country, I'd be really interested to see Zell come on down to the coal fields and tell those guys how much harder he works than they do. The responses won't be complicated so he won't have to pay anyone to figure them out, but he should definitely pay some people who are really physically gifted to come with him.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +440
    BTW, I'd like to think that most posters here would be ashamed to emulate Zell. He's compiled quite a list of really noble accomplishments while he was working harder than us.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +760
    Not to leave out really good looking women who are smart enough to land a wealthy man, but that's another thread.;)
  14. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +986
    So, the 1%; their hard work (to me that encompasses much more than physical labor as many of you are so hung up on) and their successes should not be something for others to strive for?

I guess I am in the minority on this one. I think everyone's goal should be to emulate the 1%.

Or be content with what you are able to achieve and quit with the jealousy over someones else's success. It will eat you up and consume you.
  15. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +909
    When it comes to a choice between a self-made successful businessman, and an elected, ill prepared and inexperienced politician, I'll take the former EVERY time.
  16. ncgatr1

ncgatr1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +309
    One of my personal experiences is when I graduated from UF, I excepted a job to work in the Stormwater Division for the City of Gainesville. I was a non traditional student having served in the military and then the public sector before completing my degree at UF. I was surrounded by liberals and I will say that they were good workers and the engineers were very competent and hard working. The only complaining I ever heard was about government bureaucracy. I think most of them were Repubs, of course most engineers are Repubs because they practical, rational, and realists.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +440
    I don't think "hung up on" is a good way to describe how some consider hard work to be relative. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's precisely what they/we are saying. When Zell so confidently tells us all that he and everyone else in his income range simply work harder than everyone that's not in that range, it's Zell who has a limited definition of work and or working hard. And he simply lacks the data to make such a statement, regardless of definition.

And the jealousy bit is old and trite. Once someone gets to a certain income they're beyond any criticism because "You're just Zell-ous!!" This dude is going to come on TV and literally tell 99% of society that he works harder than them and that's why he's a billionaire, full stop. No back talk from the ant hill! Ha! Okie doke there Super Worker!
  18. harwil

harwil Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +120
    Would you accept "investment assets equal to $1 million or more?"
  19. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,047
    Depends on which of the 1% you are talking about. Someone like Gates I can understand but unless you have some rick kinfolk you are going to have a hard time trying to emulate those who were born into it. I also have little doubt there are those among the 1% who I would have no desire to emulate and there are those who I would. Once again simply saying we should emulate the 1% in their entirety is no different than the statement made about their working harder than other people.
  20. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +657
    The net worth is the standard way of determining. If you have a million in investments and owe a million on a property, are you a millionaire?