Text a driver in New Jersey, and you could see your day in court

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by TroyGator, Aug 29, 2013.

1. TroyGator

TroyGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
  2. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,918
    That's taking it too far. So if I send my husband a text saying "please add milk to the list" so that he sees it once he parks his car at the grocery store, even if he doesn't read it does that then mean that if he's in an accident I can get charged? Because he would've received it - just not looked at it.

Unreal. When are people going to be held responsible for their own behavior? He could've ignored the text messages the girl was sending. He could've turned his phone off. He could've turned the ringer/notification off.

Sounds more like in that case the plaintiffs were looking for more pockets (yes it's awful they both lost their legs...don't get me wrong). This is always going to boil down to someone admitting they "knew" they were texting someone that was reading the texts while driving.
  3. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    Judge: Sir did you know your wife was driving when you text her?
    Defendant: No

Case closed
  4. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +565
    $2,500 in attorney fees later...

I don't know why people think it all works out in the end if you're innocent. You need an attorney to represent you regardless and no one pays you back if you're innocent. Not to mention the stress of a pending case. You wouldn't even believe what the stress has done to some of my clients (and they're not even criminal defendants).
  5. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    I fully understand how court works, the point is they won't be able to prove this very easily if at all.

There was a good comment from that article talking about the governments mandatory emergency alerts. What happens when that goes off while someone is driving, then that person gets in an accident? Can we go after the government?