1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Tesla banned from selling in NJ and maybe Ohio

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by RealGatorFan, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,096
    I don't care what color the state is, banning Tesla from selling cars (unless it's for a safety issue) is just plain wrong.
  2. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,223
    I guess you now understand it's not "commie/union bull crap" .
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,096
    No, the unions states are banning it for other reasons. Texas and Arizona have "safety" concerns with the batteries that catch fire from time to time... ;)
  4. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,230
    It's $$$$ bullcrap. Christie needs to man up and tell the dealership lobby to take a hike. If there were an issue about selling cars but being unwilling to service them (or honor the warrantee without the owner shipping the car back to the factory), that would be another issue. I don't think that's the case with Tesla. New Jersey is a small enough state that people could go to another state to buy their Tesla cars, and Jersey would lose jobs and the taxes that those jobs support.

Dealerships should only be worried if larger automakers followed the Tesla model, which they would only do if they could be more efficient and cost-effective than the local dealer. The salesmen and service department employees would have a job either way, but the profits would not remain in the hands of the local dealer.
  5. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +880
    Why would you all want to allow Tesla to be able to sell direct but not GM or Ford?

Can you imagine having to send your car back to *where ever* to get the warranty work done?
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. fastsix

Ratings Received:
    +1,223
    You would just take it to the closest service center. For instance, if I bought a Tesla, I'd take it to the Seattle service center which is about a 15 minute drive from my house.

http://www.teslamotors.com/findus/service

When you buy the Tesla, it's not a secret where the closest service center is. If it's far away, but you're willing to buy it anyway, why should the government interfere with your decision?
  7. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,230
    I think all auto manufacturers should have the option to sell direct, as long as they maintain service centers in their sales locations. I'm guessing that, traditionally, the Big 3 believed that local people would want to buy cars from other local people (and having the manufacturer involved with the transaction added too much bureaucracy and cost), so that kick-started the current dealership business model. That model might be out of date. If Tesla or anyone else wants to do it differently, they should have that option. Tesla might be missing an opportunity as a small numbers manufacturer to team up with a dealership that sells other small numbers cars (Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin, etc.), but that should be their decision.
  8. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +880
    I don't care personally. But it would take me 3 days to drive to Seattle.
  9. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,660
    Bad job trying to make this partisan..
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. fastsix

Ratings Received:
    +1,223
    It'll be interesting to see where this goes. I'm sure Tesla's battery plant has absolutely nothing to do with this, politicians wouldn't like would they?

Arizona bill would allow Tesla to skip dealers

Electric car manufacturer Tesla Motors would be allowed to sell cars in Arizona without establishing a dealer network under a bill approved by a state Senate committee Wednesday.

House Bill 2123 is strongly opposed by traditional auto manufacturers and dealers, who argue that Tesla wants to operate outside the normal rules that require manufacturers to sell cars through dealers. They say allowing sales directly from an automaker could leave consumers in the lurch if the company goes belly-up.

Arizona is also one of four states vying for a new lithium-ion battery factory that would supply the company's Fremont, Calif., assembly plant. Others are New Mexico, Nevada and Texas. Tesla says it will invest $2 billion in the 10-million-square-foot factory, which will cost between $4 billion and $5 billion.

Despite Arizona being in the running for the plant, lawmakers said the bill was unrelated.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +826
    Total coincidence.

Why is Tesla the only company that would "leave customers in the lurch" if they went belly-up, BTW? I guess Kia will keep my local dealership open for a decade after they fold for me and the other person who owns one locally.

And if they would actually do that, why wouldn't Tesla?

And why do I keep asking questions as if these things are based on logic?