Ten Minutes A Day Keeps The Doctor Away

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Dreamliner, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,028
    This is what I'm talking about. Noted trainer Bret Contreras is recommended one set of five different exercises, five days a week. Because the reps are higher, there is no need for a specific warmup. Add in a little walking. Maybe a day or two of something more vigorous. You're good to go:

http://www.bretcontreras.com

Note: it is not true that "Studies show that multiple sets are superior to a single set." A rather large compilation of such studies have only a handful of studies showing a marginal advantage, with all others being muddled. Therefore, if there is little or no evidence of such an advantage, why do more than one set, unless of course you prefer to pace yourself ?
  2. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,028
    The more I think about it, the more inclined I am to give this template a shot. One set of higher reps might be a welcome relief for my shoulders and knees, having battered them with low-reps for awhile now. The one change I might make is to substitute the ab movement with a ballistic movement like swings, burpess, jumping jacks, etc.

Point of clarification: you don't do the same exercises everyday, lest you fall prey to pattern-overload. So, for example, your horizontal-push might be pushups one day, dumbbell floor press the next day, dumbbell overhead press the next day and so on. This is not chasing variety so much as varying angles to protect the joints.
  3. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,028
    Tried this today just for kicks. Chose:

goblet squats
    single-legged deadlifts
    standard pushups
    pullups
    dumbbell swings

Took just under 12 minutes. Nice workout. And possibly owing to the higher reps was more swole than usual.