Telling Stat

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by akaijenkins1, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Doobz

Doobz Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    It's a cool stat. Tells us that we did what we wanted.

Why do we want to run an up-tempo offense? We have a stifling defense and we were playing an outmanned team. We wanted to control the clock and we did. What drives this stat is not only speed of the offense, but time of possession. If we hold the ball and continue to drive, we keep our defense rested and their offense off the field.

The best defense is a great offense. That means, if the other team doesn't have the ball, they can't score.
  2. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    not as ugly as having 100* temps and having a coach trying to squeeze out 3.6 plays per minute and getting players hurt from the injuries.

Good freaking lord, we dominated them, we came out an punched them out fast and just kept pounding them until they just gave up
  3. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,025
    I think it is also important to say, for people that are hating on Florida's pace, that UF ran 70 plays and had 40 minutes TOP advantage. You take that all day everyday against a fast paced team like Toledo.
  4. GatorMcCluskey

GatorMcCluskey Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +69
    we're getting pretty far off topic here (which is my fault for making the post you replied to) but I'll just respond and then shut up:

A) when I say "giving more opportunities to some of these guys" I mean all of our WRs, not Robinson and Fulwood - I want to see more plays called for all of them. You can't make plays if you're not getting the opportunity to do it. Before you get upset over that comment, understand I'm not saying we need to toss it around 40 times a game, but I think we can both agree there's quite a bit of room to increase our attempts between there and here.

B) I should have added the word "consistently" in my comment about getting elite WRs to come in - that's my bad. This coaching staff is a great bunch of recruiters and are doing a fine job, no doubt. Still, all I'm saying is that guys want to go where they can make plays and show their skills for the next level, so I believe recruiting will be a bit of an uphill battle as things currently stand.

but I'll stand by what I said about scheme. You shouldn't have to have a bunch of elite talent to be able to take advantage of defenses and make plays if your scheme is good enough - the two go hand in hand. I'm not bagging on this coaching staff, and I'm not saying they should be able to make it work with nothing - I think there was a bit of a talent gap the past couple of years for sure. But I think this year our talent has gotten to the point that we should see some improvement in the passing game.
  5. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    Never really thought about it before but aren't losing teams generally going to run more plays per minute than a team that's dominating the game, just because the losing team is playing catch-up/hurry-up especially near the end of the game?

Reading some of these posts you'd think Jeff stunk up the field Saturday when in fact he played very well, completing 17 of 22 passes for one TD and no INTs.
  6. akaijenkins1

akaijenkins1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +127
    Great post over at Alligator Army on the topic:

7. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    I think we ran more plays than Toledo...but would have to check the stats.

(Edit: post above me sets it out.)
  8. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +773
    Like my graph above suggests, there may be any real benefit to going fast or going slow. Running a slow offense means that you do keep the ball out of the other teams hands...as long as you are moving the ball. And if you move the ball really well with big plays -regardless of how slowly you are running plays-, you end up giving the ball back anyway because you score. And scoring is virtually always preferable to holding the ball (unless you are in a particular situation, like being up by one point and the clock is running out).
  9. Doobz

Doobz Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    There's a fine balance and we haven't yet achieved it because we don't have the playmakers in the passing game.

If we can eat half a quarter on each drive and score a touchdown, the opposing team is going to feel pretty pressured to score on each possession.

Yes, our plan will backfire if we can't score, turn the ball over, or get behind for whatever reason. We need the quick strike ability. We don't necessarily want to strike quick every time though. The reason our defense is so good is partly because of this TOP game plan by Muschamp.