Tell us something we don’t know....

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, May 4, 2018.

1. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,568
    I prefer my cucumbers pickled.
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. hobegator

hobegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +446
    Northside Park is a great course - some long holes and a real challenge with all the trees. Lake Wauberg has a course, but not nearly as good as Northside.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,568
    The club that runs Northside also built a nice course out in Jonesville
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +6,666
    I see we have had some "Brush with Greatness" posts so I will add some of mine.

I was a personal friend of one of the two inventors of the jet engine. I knew Hans von Ohain very well and often had lunch with him and he came to my house for dinner quite a few times. I never met Sir Frank Whittle, the other inventor.

I played basketball against Emmitt Smith in UF intramurals and against Derek Harper in a pick-up game at Illinois. Never played a game with Jason Williams, but I did shoot around with him once. I played pick-up with many UF varsity players including Tiny Williams and Clifford Lett.

I sat next to Bo Diddley on a flight from Atlanta to Gainesville and we talked music for the first half. After that he was recognized and meaningful conversation was over.

I stood behind Ray Charles in a rental car line at the San Jose airport. I think that the guy standing next to him was going to be the driver. :^)
    • Like Like x 3
  5. jmac83

jmac83 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +883
    Small world, I was a high school teammate of Derek Harper's.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,791
    I worked packing cucumbers while in junior college. Typically, girls did the grading, separating the cukes into bins of different size. "Pickle" grade were smaller and boxed accordingly. Cucumbers in good condition came down the chute. The girls tossed out "culls"--cukes of any size that weren't perfect enough for market. After packing was done, usually around 11 PM, a huge mountain of culls was left over. First task the next day, before the trucks of cukes arrived from the field, was to load the culls into another truck that would take them to a cow pasture and dump them for the cows to eat.

No cuke left behind.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +267
    One can imagine the conversation as the girls discussed the size of the cucumbers
    upload_2018-5-11_14-9-12.jpeg
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. jmac83

jmac83 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +883
    "No, vegetables are sensual. People are sensuous."
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. GatorLurker

Ratings Received:
    +6,666
    No one will know
    If you don't want to let 'em know
    No one will know
    'Less it's you that might tell 'em so
    Call and they'll come to you
    Covered with dew
    Vegetables dream
    Of responding to you
    Standing there
    Shiny & proud by your side
    Holding your hand
    While the neighbors decide
    Why is a vegetable
    Something to hide?

- Frank Zappa
  10. GatorLurker

Ratings Received:
    +6,666
    He could really play.
  11. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,705
    Zappa played for the Gators! Wow!
  12. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +287
    All of my sports stories revolve around my Ex. In the mid 80s we stepped into an elevator of a Chicago hotel and Phil Neikro was there. She was a huge fan and stammered, not knowing what to say. Out of those baggy uniforms he was a lean handsome older fellow. I mentioned that I enjoyed the game and he replied "We were really hitting it around out there". Exit stage left when the door opened. That's it.

My Ex and my daughter are also on first name basis with a former Gator hoops player. I've heard a lot of very interesting stories and have admired some of the nice keepsakes my daughter has collected. Haven't heard much lately but she's gotten older and doesn't hang around with dear 'ol Dad that much.
  13. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,569
    I haven't written any books nor have I climbed Kilimanjaro but I have had many many encounters, friendships with famous people.

Family friend of Don brewer drummer for Grand Funk Railroad. He introduced my cousin and i to Bob Seger.

Living in S FL I've met dozens and dozens of athletes/celebrities. Joe namath lived down the street. Pete rose did too. Bill parcels almost killed me at A1A and indiantown rd in Jupiter. Joey Lawrence at outback. Billy Owens at Charlotte airport. Partied with Keri Russell in LA when we went for our UF trip. Many more.

When I was a kid we sat front row at spring training for the Baltimore Orioles. One of the coaches came up to me and asked me if I'd like to be a bat boy for training. My parents said it was ok and I was their new bat boy. I got to meet Cal Ripken Jr.

Another year in the 80s my family attended the Houston Astros spring training. We stayed at the resort the players did. Right next to Kevin bass. We got to know one of the players really well at the time. I can't recall his name now but he was a rookie and he brought 3 autographed baseball's home to give to us. The only problem was that there was 4 of us so I didn't get a ball. He knew I was upset and told me he'd send me a signed bat. I thought yeah right. Back in Michigan we came home from school and there was the bat sitting at our door in a tube. I talked so much smack to my brothers.

As a kid I played ice softball (softball on a frozen lake) with 6 or so Detroit tigers from the 84 world series team. Alan trammel, milt Wilcox, Jack Morris and a few others.

From 2003-2005 played intramural basketball against Barry Sanders at Oakland university. He and I became friendly due to this and started working out together as well. He's the coolest, most down to earth dude one could meet.

Happy to say I've met every one of the Fab 5.

One year my dad got me season tix to the Heat. Talk about a pain in the butt trying to attend 40 some games in Miami an hour away. One night the pacerscame to town and my buddy and I got there very early because I wanted to meet Jalen rose. I went down as close to the court as I could get as Jalen was the only player on the court. As I'm standing there this really old guy starts talking to me. Asks me what I'm trying to do. I said I just want to meet Jalen. The guy says no problem. He yells out "hey dan, bring Jalen over here!" It turns out the old guy was Dan issels (pacers coach) father. The issels were great and Jalen spent 15-20 mins talking to me. We're both from Detroit so we chatted about that a bit.

Shane Matthews was an ass and cheap. Met him in PB Gardens while working valet. He asked me to keep his SUV up front and I said I really cant...but for a gator legend I'll break the rules. The dude was gone for the longest and gave me $1 When he returned.

Hanley Ramirez is an asshole too.
    Last edited: May 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett GC Columnist VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,232
    This thread makes me feel like I'm the far the least interesting person on here haha!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,569
    Sat next to Alice Cooper on a flight from Detroit to ft Lauderdale. He was a strange bird.

I got my 96 national championship tix from Johnny Rutledge who was a good friend at UF. Met most of the guys through Tim Beauchamp who was a very close friend. He always used to go around campus with a large snake around his neck.

I've told my Jacquez story a million times here...re: fantasy football....

Partied with Joey fatone in Orlando. I worked for seagrams out of college and was in charge of many events. Also met drew Carey at one of them. He was hitting on every girl in the area and he was sweating profusely. It was sad. Lol
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. mulegator

mulegator Neanderthal Ninja Vigilante Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +13,652
    My girlfriend met Rodney Dangerfield on Daytona Beach.
    He walked by her on the beach, she said Hi Rodney. He chatted with her and got her free tickets to his show.
    "Hey - what kind of place is this? I meet a girl at the beach - her name is Rocky!"
    Rocky (Roxanne) loved it!

During a political campaign in 1971, in front of a large audience I asked Jimmy Carter if he would support the legalization of marijuana.
    He said no.

Nearly died atop Vatnajökull Glacier in Iceland but had an incredible trek.
    Made the greatest catch of my life during a softball game in Iceland.
    I heard a guy in the crowd say "Did you see that catch?!!"
    Big applause. Great moment.

Interviewed Johnny Cash in 1984.
    A real gentleman. Just a really nice guy.

Interviewed Pat Summerall in 84. Can't tell you what he said but it was funny as hell.
    • Like Like x 3
  17. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,259
    And did you barf? Immokalee is a rough place.
  18. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,259
    I met Billy Carter in Immokalee while I was in HS. He was drunk.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,476

I played against J-Will lots of times during his transfer year at the Florida Gym...….man that guy was good. Have also played with or against several former NBA players; Kenny Anderson, Tim Hardaway, Tate George, Jerome Moiso, Voshon Leonard, Scottie Pippen, Eddie Jones and a bunch others. Also played in 2 scrimmages against the 1996 USA women's team when they were practicing in Boca Raton leading up to the Atlanta games......beat them twice. The first time embarrassingly. Many consider that team the greatest collection of women's talent to this day; Lobo, Leslie, Swoopes, and a whole bunch others. Also scrimmaged against Yolanda Griffith when she was at PBCC when I was in high school. My high schools coach was dating a coach of their team and some of the guys would go over to their campus for scrimmages from time to time on Saturday mornings.

I had a 36'+ vertical until my mid-30's. Once tried to dunk on Gerard Warren in a pickup game. Which didn't end well for me. Also played regularly with all the football guys during my days at UF '94-'98; everyone from Danny W. to anyone that played Bball on the team. The hops are pretty much gone but in my mid 40s can still dunk a tennis ball, which I don't think is bad for a 6'0 middle aged white guy.

I've hit 400+ yard drives in south Florida. Used to be invited for product testing for Spaldings golf line at a center in WPB. Wish I picked up the game before I was 22. Hung out a few times with Dustin Johnson's at his old house in Jupiter. Was actually there the day he injured his back trying to push a jet ski onto his dock thus missing the Masters

I've been on HGTV as a featured real estate agent on one of their programs. Also toured Ray Allen's mother and step father when they were considering purchasing in Palm Beach county. They ended up buying Celebration.

Jevon Kearse lives in my neighborhood, see him regularly at a restaurant around the corner. He's more jacked today then he has ever been.

Hung out socially with Udonis (been to his house to play poker) and have hung out with him at other parties as well. Dennis Rodman two or three times, Daryl Dawkins as well and have some great stories from those times (great guy RIP).

I have pictures of when Tim Tebow held my son when he was maybe 6 years old.

Have the same last name (fairly uncommon name) as an immensely popular former Gator football player so was literally asked about a million times during my days at UF if I was his brother......we ended up meeting each other and became acquaintances.
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  20. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,476

Twin Lakes High