Teen Denied Heart Transplant Due To Troubled Past

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorchamps0607, Aug 14, 2013.

1. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,591
    We don't have a full picture because the kid's medical records are sealed. At some point, this kid and his parents have to take responsibility for screwing up so much and possibly even making his condition worse by non-compliance.

And BTW if a parent ties a kid down or bodily holds him down like that to force-feed them medications, then someone will cry child abuse and the parents get arrested. So no, you actually CAN'T force feed them their medications like a toddler. If it's a pill, you've got to basically sit on the kid (per the pic, a good size), hold his head, hold him at the jaw, pinch his nose/choke him to the mouth open, then hold his mouth closed and suffocate him so he'll swallow. Really? That's what you're going to do?

From one of the articles:
    "Assessing compliance for potential transplant recipients is important because if a patient doesn't strictly take all required medicines as directed, he or she could die within weeks of leaving the hospital, said Dr. Ryan Davies, a cardiothoracic surgeon at the Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington, Delaware, who is not involved with this case."

But don't worry, once again just like on prior cases, now not only is this kid on the list, he's now considered a "top priority" for the list. Wonder how everyone on the heart transplant list that played by the rules, did their appointments, took their medications, waited their turn feel? Once again, all this proves is if you don't like the decision, get a lawyer and go to the press, or cry racism (they're alleging that because he's black and has had troubles the hospital didn't think he was worth saving).
  2. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,427
    btt
  3. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +589
    What do you tell the person who would otherwise have received the heart?
  4. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,405
    I don't think anybody has a right to actually be healthy, not at all. People have a right to make the decisions that determine how healthy they are or are not. They have a right against other people negligently or intentionally causing them unhealth in most respects. They have a narrow statutory right that lifesaving medical care not be withheld solely on their present apparent ability to pay for it (which does not mean they don't still have a valid moral and contractual duty to actually pay for it).

That is pretty much it from a rights standpoint.
  5. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,640
    Missed this, but as far as just the question, I'd say #1 of course.

I just think it shouldn't come to this. If you qualify medically and health wise (like the good points you guys bring up with not smoking/drinking) and you aren't a violent criminal, I think there should just be a list and everyone should be eligible for that list.

I don't know enough about the situation to go into that much detail, Im just going off of what I think is right, I could be completely wrong, jmo.
  6. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,640
    I agree with a lot of what you said besides the part about forcing him. Like I said, if this is life or death situation, I don't care what I had to do or what someone wanted to say about child abuse, he/she will get that pill in their stomach one way or the other. If that means tying them down or cramming it down their throat, so be it. The alternative is much worse.
  7. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +3,591
    Agreed - but if you're in jail for child abuse and the kid is elsewhere, he still isn't getting his medicines. And instead of having a familiar parent, he's in foster care or with someone else he doesn't know. And then the kid is STILL not taking his medication.
  8. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
    Keep your cool.
    Actually, poorly stated my opinion.
    I knew what you intended and I agree with you.
    I was was attempting to accent your statement.
    Sorry if I offended you.
  9. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +3,591
    I wasn't offended at all by the question - it was an honest question because if I do misspeak I want to be called on it so I can learn or correct/fix something that didn't come across correctly...kind of like just now

Things get lost in the typing :) No worries
  10. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Spot on.
  11. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
    My wife used to work in pathology at CHOA (Children's Healthcare of Atlanta). Her position at CHOA put directly in touch with the heart transplant patients before and after the surgery.
    The after surgery care was the biggest part of my wife's responsibility. For a child the after surgery care is very stressful experience physically and mentally. Numerous biopsies are done on the heart at a rate of twice a month. Eventually they become monthly. The purpose of these biopsies is to check for rejection. For every parent and child there there is the pain. The physical pain of the biopsies and the mental pain of suspense waiting on the lab results. The child also has to adhere to a strict regime of prescriptions, diet, consoling, and medical exams. Usually adults have a very hard time buying into this treatment plan but most of them eventually do. Now imagine a normal immature teenager being asked /told to buy into the same plan. It is easier said than done.
    As usual the media is doing its usual half ass job of reporting the facts.
    1, This child just did not show up at CHOA's Egleston's Hospital. This hospital is a speciality hospital for transplants, cancer treatments, and injuries. A referral from a pediatrician is needed. also pre-certification of insurance (private or Medicade). The doctors are pediatricians with a specialty They contracted from Emory University where they are residents or professors. Also, CHOA is a highly respected and ranked pediatric hospital
    http://www.choa.org/transplant
    The hospital is the recipient of endowment from one of the original Coca Cola families. Some of this money is reserved for children from poor families.
    2, Once at CHOSA the child undergoes a battery of test to evaluate thief problem (heart, lung, liver, kidney).
    3, Usually the first course of treatment is to save or salvage the organ.
    4, if the organ is too far gone then a transplant is recommended.
    5. During this time many aspects of patient and the family lives are evaluated. This evaluation is used to determine if the patient and family can follow the post surgery requirements.

In my opinion the young man's past and current behavior prevented going onto the transplant list.
  12. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +786
    Yeah if a kid has a learning disability or is more skilled a with hammer and nail than a textbook let him rot!
  13. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    "I just think it shouldn't come to this. If you qualify medically and health wise (like the good points you guys bring up with not smoking/drinking) and you aren't a violent criminal, I think there should just be a list and everyone should be eligible for that list."

1. Health wise(ie smoking/drinking) also includes other medical conditions. But should it also include mental health in regards to compliance to medical care
    2. once on the list--
    -should the next person to receive a transplant be based on---
    ----order in which the people were put on the list---ie--first come first served?
    ----which patient is closest to death?
    ----which patient on the list is best tissue match for the organ from the donor?
    ----pressure from media
    ----if two patients are both real close math to the donor organ and both are close to death---who should get the organ? one who complies with medical orders or another patient who does not comply with medical orders?

--------------------------------

i regard to the original complaint in the OP article that insinuated that the main reason the 15 year old was not put on the list was grades and run ins with the law. That argument is pretty much shot to hell by the numerous transplants, done at taxpayer expense, of inmates in prisons who have received transplanted organs.

---------------------------------

the Dr who spoke publicly regarding the decision to not put the 15 year old on recipient list, and stated the decision was based partly on poor grades and run ins with the law.....really screwed up.

The doctor should simply have said the 15 year old was not put on recipient list due to concerns we are not at liberty to discuss. And that beyond that he was not at liberty to go into greater depth because of confidentiality laws regarding minors. By stating it in such a way any effort by press to probe more deeply could be responded to in following manner. Doctor could then say---'if you want complete info from myself or others involved in the patient's care it would require consent by the parents for us to release it to the public'. That would put the pressure on the parents to authorize complete disclosure to the media. At that point the pressure is off the doctor/hospital and if family releases portions of info and press asks doctor if that is all there is to it---the doctor could simply say---'we still have not received authorization from the parents to publicly state all the reasons for the 15 year old to not be put on the recipient list.'

This would clearly define the parents as being unwilling to deal fairly with the issue.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +574
    Well said