Teen Denied Heart Transplant Due To Troubled Past

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorchamps0607, Aug 14, 2013.

1. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +725
    This seems like the most likely reason as why he would have been denied.

If this is the case (of course there may be legit reasons that you ink would be explained in his medical history) the parents need to take some real blame for allowing the situation to get where it is wrt the transplant list (can't control the terrible medical condition).

That said I think he should be put on the list but flagged as a possible non compliant patient for determining who may get a heart that comes available.
  2. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,900
    When he missed those appointments, did he know the severity of the situation? I know I personally don't go to the Dr unless I think something major is going on. Even if he had trouble going to Dr. appt, he is a 15 year old kid, should that really make him completely ineligible?

To me there really shouldn't be any criteria for receiving a life saving transplant. Maybe we can turn away murderers and other violent criminals (maybe a few other situations apply) but not kids who's brain hasn't really developed enough to fully understand that their actions have serious consequences.

Who knows, maybe this scare is what his family needed in the long run though.. I'm just happy he got his name on there.
  3. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +725
    There has to and needs to be criteria. From the obvious correct blood type. To the subjective criteria like who has been waiting the longest and who listens to the doctors.

I agree with the part about it being a kid and if it is for compliance reasons such as not listening to the doctors I put the vast majority of the blame on the parents.
  4. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,900
    Im talking about criteria as far as behavior and this "non compliance" bull crap. I fully realize the natural criteria that needs to be there such as blood type and being put on the list, etc etc.

I agree with the parents taking a lot of blame for sure. There is no way on earth my kids would be missing any appointments with that severe of a condition. No excuses whatsoever.
  5. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    question to Gatorchomp

If there were just one heart available and two 15 year old patients of correct tissue match. Who should get the heart?
    1. the 15 year old with documented record of good compliance in regard to following doctor orders, no run ins with the law, and solid grades.
    2. the other 15 year old with history of run ins with the law, poor grades, and documented history of poor compliance in regard to following doctor orders
    3. Or would you simply toss a coin
  6. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,104
    Yep figured there was more to this story. Old's example about the transplant is spot on as to how it happens all the time, but now folks are just going to start running to the lawyers and the news whenever something doesn't go their way. How convenient that they left his medical non-compliance out. Then it's all about how the evil medical system doesn't care about minorities or dying children, etc.
  7. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +4,104
    Behavior/non-compliance is judged all the time for transplants. History of alcohol consumption for liver patients is a prominent one. Because if you're given a new liver and you're not going to quit drinking, or are even drinking on the day of your transplant, you're not going to have a good outcome and you're going to need another one later on. In the meantime, someone who does what they're supposed to, follows the rules, takes their medications, etc, will continue to wait.

With how limited organ supplies are pure need cannot be the only guideline. Heck, non-compliance with medication/medical regimen might have been what WORSENED the condition.

I have lupus among other things. I know if I don't follow my treatment, my appointments, my medications, I'll run the risk of blowing my kidneys. That would be no one's fault but my own. But if I follow everything and STILL end up needing a kidney transplant, then that's not my fault and I would ask and expect help. And you can be sure if I'd reached the stage where I needed a transplant I'd be doing exactly what they told me to. It's called self responsibility.
  8. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,452
    Similar to in the case of lung transplants where, except in the most extraordinary of circumstances, unless you have gone at least 6 months since quitting smoking (as confirmed by nicotine tests) you are ineligible for transplant.
  9. austingtr

austingtr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +674
    People who think they have a right to be healthy crack me up.

Life isn't fair, deal with it.
  10. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    That's what I tell people who expect a nice house when they hire me. "Hey, you could be living in a hut in Borneo! Now you expect that wine cooler to work?" (Costs about the same as an office visit with a physical.)
  11. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,891
    Yes. This is what it looks like when a limited resource is treated like a limited resource. Which, I believe, is precisely why we're seeing these stories now. There's analogies here.
  12. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +4,104
    Everyone has a right to be healthy. Everyone also has a right to be responsible for their health, too.
  13. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +131

I believe you have mis-spoke on this post.

It should be

Everyone has a right to be healthy.

However everyone should have the expectation that they will be held accountable
    for their health or should I say ill-health.
  14. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +4,104
    How did I misspeak? We are responsible for our health and health care. And yes, we should be held accountable.
  15. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +904
    Tough shit. Responsible adults and children typically get to be at the head of the line in all facets of life. . I've never stood a doctor up and I've been going, albeit rarely, my whole life.
  16. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,900
    Were talking about a 15 year old kid though. His parents are probably deadbeats but why should we punish him for that?
  17. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +904
    Same reason children aren't allowed (sorry, WEREN'T) allowed on the list for adult organs. The odds of it being a success are slim and it takes that organ from a candidate with a higher chance of success.

It's a fact of life. A lot of people have a rough time dealing with hard truths like these.
  18. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +4,104
    Which is also why his responsibility or lack thereof with his schooling comes into play. I believe his own family admitted the kid HIMSELF wasn't taking his medications.

Unless at 15 we're expecting the parents to spoon feed him his meds like a toddler.
  19. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,900
    From what I understand, kids now have a greater chance of surviving due to advancements in that field.

Also, I don't have a tough time dealing with "truths" like this, I have a hard time with people telling a 15 year old kid he has to die because he made a few bad choices. If you're ok with that, something is wrong with you (not you personally).
  20. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,900
    In a life or death situation, you're damn right I would be. If the kid isn't taking his medicine, does he really know the severity of the situation in the first place? I don't think he should be punished for shitty parents.