Teen Denied Heart Transplant Due To Troubled Past

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorchamps0607, Aug 14, 2013.

1. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,770
    This is pretty sad IMO. He obviously wasn't in enough trouble to be locked up in juve or anything, so he was basically given a death sentence for what could only be petty crime, if that? I don't know how some people sleep at night. :sick:

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/08/12/2453941/dying-teen-heart-transplant/
  2. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +786
    His grades? What the hell does that have to do with a transplant?
  3. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,081
    :sick: is right.
  4. agigator

agigator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Not saying that he should be denied but here's my take. I doubt that it's a choice between letting an available heart rot and giving this kid a transplant. I expect there's more people in need of transplants than there are available hearts. So, how do you decide who gets one? Should background be completely ignored when deciding between two prospective transplant recipients? I mean even his proponents admit that he "has a past".
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,854
    There are never good answers here when it comes down to who gets an organ or not. In their modest defense, they aren't saying he deserves to die because of this or that, that's... that's just demagoguery. They are saying they aren't convinced he will take the proper care of the new organ required to make it the best use thereof. The easiest counter to all outrage here is -- why does he deserve it more than other possible recipients?

I thought we covered the ground of how there are no good answers to this kind of thing back with that 10 year old girl, but I guess it's never a bad time for some agitating. At least that was an argument over being put on a list to be eligible, not about the ultimate decision of who will receive an organ or not.
  6. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,589
    http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/family-says-dekalb-teen-being-denied-heart-transpl/nZL3K/

He actually has been added to the transplant list it looks like.

My understanding is that one of the necessary criteria for the transplant list is that doctors believe the patient is likely to comply with medical instructions post-transplant (to keep from wasting organs on people who are likely to not follow their plan of care and wind up dying anyways). Now whether the things they supposedly cited to the family would actually be good predictors of likely non-compliance I don't know.
  7. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,770
    Well that was quick, its nice to see them do the right thing in the end.

My problem is this, it seemed like initially they simply wouldn't put him on the list at all. Regardless of whatever small time stuff he got himself into, you won't put him on it at all? Im not saying he should be put at the front of the list but hell, even if he is dead last, at least he is on there.
  8. agigator

agigator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    I wonder if there's really a practical difference between being dead last on the list and not being on it, at all. Denying him a place on the list may not have been a punishment per se but more a realistic assessment of his chances of being chosen for a transplant.

If he dies without a transplant will we revisit this with his family claiming that he was added to the list purely for PR reasons?
  9. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    There simply are not enough organs available for all those needing transplants. So one of the main criteria for a person being eligible for a transplant is that the person has an established record of compliance.

I suppose that you want the heart to go to a 15 year old who is more likely to be non compliant than to a 15 year old who has reputation for compliance to medical instructions.

---------

Asa nurse I saw a patient be yanked from the eligibility list at the last minute due to the patient screwing up. Patient was in the hospital for last minute lab work and tests prior to be being flown to a hospital up north where liver transplants are done. While in the hospital he started getting anxious and instead of telling us of his anxiety he decided to leave the hospital by a back stairway and go to a nearby store for a beer. He was coming back to the hospital and one of his doctors saw him heading back to the hospital. Doctor was waiting for him when the patient tried to sneak back into the room. Patient came into the room and was told by the doctor he was off the list because he had walked out of the hospital without telling anyone. The doctor left. Turns out the patient had left the hospital to go buy a beer.

If you were another patient who needed a liver transplant and you followed orders. How would you feel if you were deprived a liver because it went to another patient who was breaking medical orders by leaving hospital and going to drink a beer?

-----

The criteria as to receiving a transplant includes whether or not the recipient is compliant. This is to make sure that transplants have best possible chance of success.

-----

It is sad reading about a 15 year old being denied transplant due to probability of non compliance....Even sadder is if a non complaint patient receives a transplant, doesn't follow medical orders, and dies anyway----and another patient who is compliant dies who might have otherwise lived had he received the transplant instead of the non compliant person.

-----

some other criteria for receiving a transplant
    ---how good a match the patient is to the organ.. the closer the match the lower the likelihood of organ rejection
    ---nearness to death---the person closer to death is given priority in receiving transplant over another patient who is not as close to death.
    ---age- generally the younger the person gets priority over an older person.
    Infants and children get very high priority.

------

Just think---there could be another black 15 year old elsewhere who needs a heart who has solid reputation regarding compliance to medical orders who might be denied a heart because the heart goes to another 15 year old who is non compliant.

------

It is easy to have your heart start bleeding when you see a picture of a kid and the news that the kid is being denied a transplant. But put your emotions aside for a few minutes and think things thru.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Minister_of_Information

Minister_of_Information I'm your huckleberry Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    Such is triage.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    the article says 'in part' due to poor grades and run ins with the law. Patient medical records are legally confidential and hospital is not permitted to comment on what's contained within the medical records(include chart) without the consent of the patient or guardian of the patient.

It is likely he(the 15 year old patient) has been in hospitals many times and for some long periods of time. Part of nursing documentation is to document patient level of compliance to medical care. If his level of compliance while in hospitals has been good. It would likely override the matter of grades and run ins with the law. If the 15 year old has been non compliant while in hospitals the hospital and doctors, by law, are not legally/ethiclaly permitted to comment on that without the parents' consent.
  12. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    yup
  13. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,959
    Agree with old and M.O.I. - my guess is this kid also has a history of prior non-compliance with his medications but we only have the family's side of the story here. The medical records are confidential so no matter what the family says, unless they allow the records to be released those records can't be discussed. I'm thinking it's IN ADDITION to the school/social situation, with all the factors together spelling trouble.

This goes kind of back to that girl's situation, and using social medial and MSM to get your decisions changed if you don't like them.
  14. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +979
    Welcome to Obamacare!

Have a nice day....
  15. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +527
    MOI and Old have pretty much summed up the most likely scenario of a sad situation.
  16. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +112
    Old , too bad that you are retired!

You were one hell of nurse!

Your patients were blessed to have you in their floor.
  17. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +674
    For him not to be on the list to begin with is complete BS! Nobody is perfect.
  18. vangator1

vangator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    The doctors smelled a nice fat law suit, especially wif Jesse and Al on the case.
  19. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +691
    The news this morning said he also had trouble doing things like showing up to his medical appointments. If he and his family aren't taking it seriously, why should anyone take them seriously?
  20. g8trjax

g8trjax Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +327
    Just wait until the IRS has any say in your healthcare. Better change your voter registration to D, if you expect to get any serious healthcare consideration.