Teddy . . .

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Bullis33

Bullis33 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +956
    As I said before, best I have ever seen in HS...would pull up 1 dribble inside half court, 35-40 feet from the basket, and shoot a normal jumper and make a lot of them...played with amazing swagger but was not a dick....just an amazing HS bball talent...and his team was awful..it was him, Earnest Graham (pretty good HS bball player) and a bunch of stiffs and he led them to A TON of wins...he played on one of those traveling All-Star teams after being booted from UF, and one game pre season they played one of Pitino's early UL teams and he was something likw 9-10 or 10-11 from 3, and many were challenged and way beyond NBA 3 land....unreal

2. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +857
    He had 45 points in that game, after which Pitino said:

"I'm shocked Teddy Dupay isn't in the NBA".

Dupay apparently scored most of his points on Pitino's star guard Taquan Dean. . . .who he benched because he "didn't want Taquan to go home after giving up 90 points".
  3. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +285
    Actually, there were some other good players on that high school team. Osiris probably can tell us their names. The 2nd best player on the team was a Seventh Day Adventist who couldn't play on the Sabbath (which ran from the sun going down on Friday night to the sun going down on Saturday night). That can affect your scheduling. Osiris, can you recall that kid's name and what happened to him after high school?
  4. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +744
    Noel West & Mack Mitchell
  5. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +285
    Noel West is who I was thinking of. He averaged something like 27 PPG the year Teddy averaged about 44 PPG. He played for Mercer in college.
  6. jv

jv New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    His sophomore-year team at Mariner was the best of all his HS teams. Saw them at City of Palms and was mesmerized. They had 4-5 D-1's, plus Graham.
  7. GreenNNScaly

GreenNNScaly Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    Teddy Dupay. Wow. Lotsa Teddy memories.

Can't wait to read the story, Brent!

One thing I will never forget is Dupay bulldogging the hell out of Mateen Cleeves in the Title Game, just playing tough hard nosed defense all the way down the court that one play and that asshole Billy Packer talking crap about it and calling Teddy a thug. Man I have hated Packer every single day since then. (As a side note how crazy loaded was that Gator Team? Miller, Haslem, Wright, Harvey, Dupay, JHam, Bonner, Nelson Weaks etc. Absolutely sick!)

Also I think it was the Fab 4s (Haslem, Dupay, Miller, Nelson) first game in the OConnell Center and they whipped somebody pretty good and Dupay goes running down on top the scorers table like a mad man and up pops Jeremy Foley and grabs him and pulled him down. Crazy!

Teddy had game. He was tough, volatile, a little wild and unpredictable. We had nicknames for a lot of the players and ours for Teddy was the NUB. He was short but dang he could shoot the rock and boy was he a tough little nub.

It was tough for all us Gator basketball fans when it came out that Teddy had been accused of gambling and couldn't play his senior year. I'm sure it was tough for Teddy and his teammates as well. Mostly what has been in the media has been negative since then based on that you would have to view Teddy as kind of a lost soul. It would be great to learn differently though. He was always one of my favorite Gator players.

8. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +857
    Thanks!

Great stuff - - - and we talked about the Billy Packer comments, and him jumping up on the scorer's table!
  9. g8rvet

g8rvet Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +296
    Teddy and his defense of Mateen Cleeves made him one of my favorite defenders to ever play in O & B. Relentless defense that night. It was a clinic on heart and guts. I am glad he is making the most of his second chance. Many many folks take a bad road in life or make a bad decision and then get a second chance. Few do with it as he is doing. Wish him the best in life.

Oh yes, and thanks for a well written and very informative article aka. You da man!