Teddy Dupay's AAU Team Ranked #1 in the Nation

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Osiris_DPM, Apr 22, 2014.

1. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +276
    Have you heard of Pete Rose, Art Shlicter or Tim Donaghy?
  2. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +670
    Please just google it Jeff. I'd rather this thread not derail into rehashing Teddy's past problems, as it will no doubt turn this thread into to a chain of drive-by potshots about his past misdeeds. The point of this is to point out the positive influence he's having on the community now, and helping kids who have basically been abandoned by society achieve success in the classroom, on the court, and in life.

One of the best players on the team has 8 brothers and sisters and doesn't have his own bed. He was getting D's and F's in school before, and on his most recent report card he got mostly A's and B's. He is the primary reason Teddy got them the shoes, as he's made by far the most amazing turn around since Teddy's been involved. I haven't even gotten into the other things he's done for the other group he worked with last year, where he took the whole class on a trip to UF on his own dime, and the coaching staff and UF administration gave a huge showing of support on very short notice by feeding them, giving them a tour of the athletic facilities and campus, talking to them about the benefits and process of college education, and meeting the basketball team (some of them stay in touch with those kids, to give back and be mentors, as they came from similar backgrounds). I'd appreciate it if we could at least keep this thread about that. Thanks
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  3. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +375
    Glad things are working out for Dupay. However, selfishly, I can't help but like the idea that we finally have an established, loyal "in" to a top-notch AAU program.
  4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +376
    I don't know all of the facts first hand, but my second hand information is that Teddy had inside information of value about injuries and shared it with people with a betting interest. I could be "all wet" on this, but that is what I understand to be the facts.

This is nowhere near as bad as point shaving (just Google that and UK and get an eyeful!), but is shady.
  5. sflagator

sflagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +135
    I knew him when he was in college - my opinion isn't founded in speculation and message board detritus. In my experience leopards don't change their spots. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong.

I accept you may have a different opinion, and even a different experience with him. Doesnt mean im wrong, or stupid, or whatever you are implying.

BTW, I'm equally mystified by your "he comes from a good family" argument. So what? my brother comes from a good family, but I'm relatively sure if you knew his history you wouldn't even let him into your house.

To clarify, I don't think that Dupay is a bad person, but he has a pretty long and well-established track record of making spectacularly bad decisions. It isn't a couple of years' worth, and if you are as well - connected as you appear, you know that. I'll give you that why he makes those decisions is a matter of opinion - I chalk it up to some fundamental things about his personality, you chalk it up to youthful indiscretion. I frankly hope that you are right, but it doesn't make me wrong.

I'm glad to hear he is making a positive impact in the lives of these kids, that is something to be lauded no matter what else you can say about him, good or bad.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  6. Bedlam

Bedlam Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +131
    The point is, this is a nice thread about Teddy succeeding and having a great team. Then you come in and say what amounts to "That's nice and all, but I still think he's a POS."

Just keep it to yourself next time.

On the topic of the thread, I'm with the others who are excited about having a great connection in the AAU circuit. Should help out recruiting.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. sflagator

sflagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +135
    Whatever. It's a "discussion" forum, meaning there's a discussion. Sometimes you won't like it.

I agree I took the thread in a different direction than was necessary. I guess I should have just said "kudos for him, hope it works out"

So kudos to him, I hope it works out.
  8. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +276
    I got the chance to watch Dupay's team this morning in quarterfinal play. He's very active coaching the kids on the floor as well as on the sideline. They went 2-1 in pool play and lost in the semifinal game but I'm not sure if it was to a D1 team or not. I see they're rated as a D2 team.
  9. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +793
    Congrats to Teddy :D
  10. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    Thanks Osiris.

Wow, simply Awesome.

I always like Teddy Dupay becauwe of his incredible GUTS, combined with high level skill development.

He's obviously a very good coach. The thing you must realize is that 7th graders are at the least controlled age. To teach such kids to play with control really, really speaks to his abilities.
  11. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +670
    Yes, the team they lost to was a D1 team ( depends on the size of the kids, the years the teams have been together, and whether they have 8th graders who are in the age limit). They were a really big team, and Teddy's guys were tied going into the 4th quarter. They will learn a lot from the loss. Teddy said he saw a lot of areas they can improve that he wouldn't have seen in a victory. He said 4-5 more practices and they'd win because he's already taught them the terminology.
  12. JaxLizard

JaxLizard Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    Not to go off topic, but my twin boys play for 7th grade team here in NE Florida. We have four sixth graders on the team. We have lost all seven of our games. I'm really proud of them, they basically do everything for the team and score over 50 percent of the points. It's been really exciting to watch them grow and develop their game. I highly recommend USSSA.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +276
    The experience depends on the coaching they get. My daughter plays and practices on an 8th grade team of 7 girls. However for the tournaments, they bring up three or four 7th graders and give them starting positions and significant playing time. I see other coaches calling TOs and giving instruction on the sidelines. Ours must think TOs carry over because she uses an average of 1 per game. I'm in for nearly $2000 in registration, sponsorship, and travel expenses. Buyer beware - do your homework first!
  14. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +670
    Wow. That's too bad. If the kids playing for Teddy's team had to pay $2000, he'd have zero kids. It's pretty cool that you watched them play. It's a big rush to these kids to have people rooting for them. One day in the future some of them will be playing in packed out arenas. Without the support they'd never make it that far.