Teddy Dupay's AAU Team Ranked #1 in the Nation

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Osiris_DPM, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +872
    The national rankings for the USSSA 13u came out today and as predicted, Teddy's 7th grade squad, the Skills Center Elite, is ranked #1 in the nation. They are undefeated so far this year at 17-0, having won a couple big tournaments so far. They are not just beating their opponents, they are slaughtering them.

http://www.usssa.com/sports/Rank2.asp?State=0&ClassID=181&SeasonID=18&RankSystem=0

http://www.usssa.com/sports/Team3.asp?TeamID=2047193

I posted some video of their practices on here before. TD is like a clone of Billy, and is teaching these kids D1 skills, plays and concepts - it's really not fair to the opponents. They are not the biggest most physical team from top to bottom (though they have some future high-major D1 players), but they play with unbelievably sound fundamentals, basketball IQ, shooting mechanics. Hard to believe these same kids barely won a game last season before Teddy was coaching them.

A couple weeks ago he surprised them all with new Jordans, making good on a promise he made a couple months ago that he'd get them new shoes if they kept working hard in the classroom, pracitcing hard, and being punctual. Many of these kids have never had anything this nice, and never really expected anyone to follow through on that promise. I video taped it and I'll put it on youtube soon. Their reactions were awesome. Teddy sprung $1000 of his own money to buy them, and I was really moved by that. Some of their moms were there and it made them tear up.

He gave them out right at the end of a meeting before practice, and they asked him "can we wear them now?" He said "yeah, lace 'em up and let's play!" Then he and 4 other guys (3 of them were former D1 basketball players) played a full 40 minute full-court game against them to toughen them up. They called their own timeouts to discuss their game plan, and did their own substitutions. Teddy would stop play periodically to emphasize a coaching point. But he took no mercy on them, and by the end, they were starting to hang with the big boys by using team concepts, floor spacing, and court vision.

I really encouraged him to get involved in this a couple years ago. When he moved to Tampa he started doing individual work with guys like Juwan Durham and Mike Frazier, and eventually got involved with the Skills Center where he's on the board of directors, and mentors these kids. He frequently tells me he had no idea how rewarding this could be. He gets all fired up now talking about taking this whole group with him to a HS job next, then moving on with them to a college gig. My mom jokes with him using the analogy of a parent coming to terms with his/her kids leaving the nest, telling him he can't keep moving to the next destination with them forever. He disputes that ;).

Anyway, wanted to share this. I'm incredibly proud of him. He made some mistakes, which we all know about, but he has not only done a full 180, he's taking it to a level that few will ever do in terms of helping those less fortunate and having a big impact in basketball on the national level after doing the same during his playing days (a lot like the guy who mentored him).

*edit, they are now 17-0
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  2. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,391
    Great stuff! I have been following teddy and his team ever since u were kind enough to arrange the interview. I have to admit... I was a skeptic going into the discussion, and sought to just write a fair portrayal. But what he is doing is a real example of positive change. I am happy for him. And his kids!!!!
    I told him I may want to do a follow up just on his coaching!!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,391
    Following... Not fooling. Someone fox my edit feature!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. ampage21

ampage21 Member

Ratings Received:
    +50
    Better keep the giving the kids J's on the down low or the NCAA will lay the hammer down....
  5. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +872
    Not true. There is a line and it's only crossed under certain circumstances very clearly not present here.
  6. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,546
    This is an excellent achievement. Makes me happy for Teddy and his kids.
  7. sflagator

sflagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +375
    I'm happy for him and the team, but I don't believe people change their fundamental character, so I expect it to all come crashing down. I'd be happier than anyone to be proven wrong.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,391
    You are probably going to get crushed for this comment, but I do understand your sentiment.
    But perhaps this IS Teddy's fundamental character. Perhaps this IS who he is, and the mistakes were simply that.
    I do not claim to know, but it sure is trending in that direction.
    I don't think he is faking his way through this. There seems to be too much passion there.
  9. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +923
    Craptastic post. What is the point of even saying that?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +768
    In the mid-1970s I worked for a guy that coached a team in the Gainesville junior league called the Blackhawks. They used to beat other teams with scores like 96-12, etc. I don't remember them ever losing as long as he was coaching. I asked the guy how come his teams were so much better than the other teams. His response, "John, I teach them fundamentals, and the other coaches just hand them the basketball." That statement still stands out to me, and when I was a teacher, I applied that philosophy and made sure my students mastered the fundamentals of a subject. Some ran with it, and some didn't, but they did have the fundamentals. But back to the Blackhawks, if you are from Gainesville and played jr. league basketball in the 70s, you may remember the Blackhawks.
  11. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,546
    I don't believe that wrongful acts are necessarily indicative of a fundamental character especially if it is considered a character flaw. I've seen too many people change their lives around to go along with that one.
  12. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +872
    You have no idea what you're talking about. Teddy comes from a great family. His dad is an orthopedic surgeon in Ft. Myers, one of his sisters is a dentist and the other is in dental school at UF. He grew up as a healthy well-adjusted person from a solid family. His "fundamental character," as you put it, has always been to be a great friend, teammate, student, and brother/son. He made some bad choices for a couple years of his life which received a lot of publicity because of who he was, but there are tons and tons of productive members of society who made dumb decisions in their youth/college years and grew up to become leaders in their communities, families, and businesses. There is a reason he has always been welcomed back to UF by Billy and the University. There's a reason he is on a first-name basis with Jeremy Foley, the SID's, and several administrators at UF. There's a reason he is still close friends with the Donovans, Coach Grant, and Coach Jones. Teddy was on the SEC All-Academic team. UF brought him back on full scholarship after his issues, and he graduated from UF with honors.

You expect it to come crashing down based on some problems he had in years past? I am frankly astonished that an adult with any social awareness or historical perspective could make such a short-sighted and ill-advised comment in the world we live in today, where helping youth with troubled pasts become leaders is an emphasis in our society.

I don't mean to attack you, but instead this general viewpoint. If you haven't already, you should read Brent's article on Teddy, which was incredibly well done (and that was reiterated by Jeremy Foley and Billy): http://www.gatorcountry.com/florida-gators-basketball/second-shot/
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +923
    His dad is an excellent orthopedic surgeon, and a real nice guy to boot. Just had a phone conference with him yesterday on a case my firm is working on. Next time I speak to him I'll be sure to mention how great it is to see Teddy's work with these kids. I'm sure he's proud.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,391
    ^^ Well said, Osiris.
    And thanks for kind words, too. I wasn't aware JF and Billy got a read! That's pretty cool to know!
  15. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +872
    Yes, they both talked to him about it in the locker room after a game shortly after it was published. Foley was particularly impressed with it, as he doesn't stay as up to date with Teddy's day-to-day activities as Billy does. He's always happy to see Teddy, and frequently talks to him when he sees him at games, but there was a lot of nice stuff in that article that Teddy doesn't broadcast when he talks to people, as he really is quite humble as you noted. I thought I had mentioned to you that Billy and JF talked about it. Well, it was so well written you should just have assumed that :) There were a lot of other important Gators that commented about it as well. I was just happy to see it being forwarded around in email circles and the nice comments from Gator fans that hadn't heard his name since the problems he had years ago...and when the last taste in someone's mouth is bitter, that impression tends to remain until something comes along to change it.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  16. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +172
    Just read it. Great article!
  17. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,391
    That is very cool. Stories like that tend to write themselves.
  18. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +58
    Great article aka...and even better story
  19. Hurtin4certain

Hurtin4certain Member

Ratings Received:
    +98
    This is just another example of why Billy D is one of the best coaches, regardless of sport, period. Teddy made mistakes but has found a way to make it right. He is enriching the lives of young men with the game that he loves. Teaching, enriching lives, and guiding young people towards making good decisions will undoubtedly atone for any transgressions he made as a youth. His good karma points are adding up... Go Gators!
  20. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat Respected Rival

Ratings Received:
    +730
    What did Dupay do?
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1