1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Tebow update?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by kef300, Jun 1, 2014.

1. enviroGator

enviroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +331
    And no one rooted harder against him then horse face. He wanted to "suck for Luck" and NEVER supported Tebow. He was mad when Tebow was winning. You could see it on his horse face after every win.

When he got Payton, he also brought in several new pieces for the O to support him.

What did he do to improve the O for Tebow? Oh yeah... he traded away the pro-bowl WR.

Again.. I'm not saying he is Superman.. but he at least deserves a REAL shot! He did not get it at Denver where he never got to practice with the 1st team during the 1 camp he went to (the other year the NFL was locked out), they set him up to fail with a run, run, pass O, they traded away their best O weopon, etc... etc... etc...

Pretty much every other 1st round QB is given the keys to the franchise and they do everything they can to make him successful.

That did not happen with Tebow.

Period.

End of debate.

Dropping the mike.

Going to bed.

:)
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. floridavol29

floridavol29 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +202
    He got rid of a wide receiver that he felt was a locker room cancer. I know Tebow won some games, but he never looked like an NFL quarterback doing it. Denver brass saw this and went another direction. Mark Sanchez won some games for the Jets, but most people didn't think he was an elite NFL qb. However, the Jets paid based strictly W-Ls and we know how that turned out. Tebow is one helluva human being, but he's not an NFL qb.

I know everyone here hates Elway, but he is an all time great at the position. He comes from a football family. His dad was coach. He might know a thing or two about evaluating quarterback talent. I know I would trust his opinion.
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  3. VanNoord

VanNoord Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +235
    Hard to believe people are still questioning Elway. You have a chance to pick up a QB that takes you to the Super Bowl, you do it. Tebow would have brought them maybe to the first round of the playoffs. And I kinda doubt that. But, man, that was some excitement watching Tim do his thing while he was there.
  4. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,628
    So Von Miller started when Tebow did then?
  5. _GatorStud_

_GatorStud_ New Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    Hmm, politics is taboo but religion is throttle up, ;)
    As others have said, I'm looking forward to seeing how Tim grows into that SEC channel role. Character rules.
  6. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,568
    Tim won games at Denver in his first year. I'll never foget the Broncos playing the Dolphins in Miami Gardens. I'm listening to the game on the Dolphins network. Their broadcast guys hated it that Tim was getting most of the cheers in THEIR stadium! 3 minutes to go or so in the game. Dolphins are ahead something like 10 points or so. They're feeling great and smug that despite the fans cheering for Tebow the Dolphins are going to get the win. Then Superman takes the Broncos down twice in the closing minutes of the game. 2 TDs for Denver and they win! Stone silence by the Dolphins radio broadcast crew!

Tim was a winner at Denver and their fans loved him! It was obvious Elway hated him and was jealous of the adulation Tim was getting. That was so obvious when Tebow was getting a lot of cheering by Bronco fans after a TD! And a TV camera happened to zero in on Elway's face. It was so obvious he was not happy at all, even though Tim had just led them down field for the TD! Even the broadcast couldn't help but notice the angered look on the Horse face! So they showed that clip again.

It was so obvious that Elway was jealous of Tebow! Mile High Stadium was his turf and some Rookie QB was not going to come in and take that from him! No one!

It was so much fun watching the Seahawks, with an "inexperienced NFL QB" beating "Elway's team".
    :)
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,215
    JE is going all in for Denver, hoping PM can get it done. I so enjoy rooting against the Broncs and loved the SB beatdown. I would love it if Denver goes without a SB ring with PM, and when he retires they fall apart.
  8. enviroGator

Ratings Received:
    +331
    I don't blame him for grabbing up Payton when he got the chance. He took a pretty big risk due to his neck surgery and the contract they gave him.

I hoped that they would keep Tebow and he could learn from Payton. I don't think a single Tebow fan would be yelling for Tebow when Payton was in.

But they didn't keep him... I believe because Tebow wanted out w/ Payton in.
  9. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,091
    Um, I guess you missed this game:

10. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,652
    Sounded like soccer commentators. GOOOOOOAAAAALLLLL!!!!

Thanks for the memories. It was a fun season.

Repeat post: Tim's main problem is that no HC/GM combo is willing to put their careers on the line to build a team around him. It is that simple. Money rules, even in management.
  11. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,707
    Paticularly when NFL defensive coordinators and players with years of experience will tear that college gameplan apart within a year...
  12. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,091
    Website "Cold Hard Football Facts" believes in Tebow because they see the importance of his low turnover rate and productivity on the ground to the Real Quarterback Rating. (The current QB rating is based only on passing stats) They find that comparing Real QBR for competing quarterbacks results in a higher correlation to victory than any other single stat, including the vaunted turnover stat. Anyone who loves stats will love this website.

In 2012, his career Real QBR of 81 would have ranked 14th in the league. In fact, it was way above Sanchez's 55 rating, 30th in the league. From the article:

Ironically, no team would have improved more dramatically than the Jets: they had a playoff-caliber pass defense, No. 7 in Defensive Passer Rating and No. 12 in Defensive Real QB Rating.

The statistical key to that team's playoff hopes was standing on the sidelines all year long. Rex Ryan simply failed to take it out of his pocket and insert it into the offense.

Here's a link to this article...enjoy browsing the website:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.co...have-saved-5-gms-7-coaches-and-9-teams/20537/
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. gwag

gwag New Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    If Tebow were either Muslim or openly gay, he would be on an NFL roster, no doubt.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Yes, there are literally 0 Christian players in the NFL.
  15. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +234
    He wasn't saying that. He is saying that society these days isn't tolerant of Christians but it gives a pass for openly Gays and other religions. In other words, the so called "circus" wouldn't be a bad thing. The NFL talking heads would praise him instead of making fun of him. Sad times we live in my friend. The guy just wanted to play football on a team. You and I know that he is wayyyyy better than a good number of back up qbs in the NFL. Don't even try to say he isn't.
  16. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    Strange that they haven't bothered to do that with the teams currently running versions and various aspects of it for the last 5-10 years.

Building an offense around what Tim does well isn't the only problem; plenty of teams already do that. GM's, owners, and coaches also have to be willing to put up with all the scrutiny that inevitably comes along with Tim while simultaneously going through the tough times that revamping and instituting that offense brings.

When they lose games early on as the natural progression of doing that makeover, they have to be willing to forge ahead and withstand all the fans and talking heads blaming it on the new offense or the "Tebow circus" (which is largely created by those same fans and talking heads). It's just a headache few franchises are willing to endure even if it has the potential to pay off big later.

It was always going to take a bold franchise to build around Tim; and the NFL is simply far less forgiving, patient, or tolerant than typical college programs. Even when talking about Gator fans, the vast majority couldn't wait to see Tim play, but like the rest of the college football world, they weren't convinced Meyer's spread could work in the SEC and didn't realize early on that Tim's success and that specific offense were indelibly linked.
  17. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,707
    The spread option is still a college offense, and Tim would have nowhere NEAR the pass efficiency in the NFL that he had at the collegiate level. he didn't light everyone up for 500+ yards. Against strong defenses (and with Percy Harvin for two years, an NFL Pro Bowl-ready receiver):

Average Yards for Florida:

Year----------------------------------------------------Total Yds----Pass Yds--------Rushing Yds

2007................................................................................457......................257........................200
    2008................................................................................445......................214........................231
    2009................................................................................458......................236........................221

Average...........................................................................453......................237.........................226

Year---Opponent----------Total Defense---------Total Yds-----Pass Yards-----Rushing Yds----Outcome

2007.....Auburn............................6th..............................312........................201........................111................Lost
    2007.....LSU.................................3d................................314........................158.........................156...............Lost
    2007.....Georgia.........................14th..............................343........................236.........................107...............Lost
    2007.....Michigan.......................24th.............................399........................169..........................230...............Lost
    2008.....Miami............................28th.............................345........................256............................89...............Won
    2008.....Tennessee........................3d..............................243...........................96..........................147...............Won
    2008......Ole Miss........................19th.............................443........................319...........................124...............Lost
    2008......Georgia.........................22d..............................373.........................188...........................185...............Won
    2008......USCe.............................13th.............................519.........................173...........................346...............Won
    2008......Florida State.................15th..............................502........................185...........................317................Won
    2008......Alabama.........................3d...............................358.........................216...........................142................Won
    2009......Tennessee.....................22d...............................323.........................115...........................208................Won
    2009......LSU..............................26th..............................327.........................134...........................193................Won
    2009......USCe............................15th...............................339........................199............................140...............Won
    2009......Alabama........................2d................................335.........................247..............................88...............Lost

Average.............................................................................365..........................193...........................172................9-6
    Season Avg.......................................................................453..........................237...........................226

Tim did well against strong teams, but remember, Florida has as much talent as ANYONE and more than MOST. His offensive performance dipped against the stronger defenses, as they do for ALL quarterbacks.

I simply think that the NFL scouts thought that Tebow was a product of his system, and he certainly was. Tebow wouldn't fit in a Fedora or Spurrier-run offense (he admitted as much when he arrived). In the NFL, Tim had some of the best quarterback minds in the nation teach him how to play the dropback game, and it simply wasn't in his makeup to do so.

No NFL teams will change their entire system for that type of quarterback, not even for an athletic freak like Michael Vick. When combined with the circus-like atmosphere, and his passing performance (among the worst in the NFL in 2011) scared everyone off. That Tim was able to go 8-4 in spite of his limitations was extraordinary, and adds to his legend. But in the NFL, the player has to adapt to their system, not the other way around. Great quarterbacks can do that, but Tim is a great player whose position is quarterback.

Put another way, if we could attach Chris Leak's head and poise to Tim's body and drive, the hybrid would be a Pro Bowler. But we can't. And one is in the booth while the others is on the sidelines as a coach. I wish both the very best in their endeavors.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  18. ces1948

ces1948 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    Personally I would prefer to see Tim stay away from the playing in the NFL. For years I have felt that Urban Meyer used him as a battering ram a few too many times. I would like for Tim to be able to craft an articulate sentence 20 years from now.
  19. enviroGator

Ratings Received:
    +331
    And yet it was when he was standing in the pocket that he got the bad concussion.