Tebow update?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by kef300, Jun 1, 2014.

1. buddhistgator

buddhistgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +252
    People make too big a deal about Tebow being the winner vs. the Broncos being the winner during his time there. He was less than 50% passing.

Earl Morrall was 11-0 as a QB for the Dolphins in 1972. Using the Tebow logic, Morrall would be head and shoulders above Tebow.
  2. enviroGator

enviroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +251

From wiki...

"Earl Edwin Morrall (May 17, 1934 – April 25, 2014) was an American football quarterback in the National Football League. Morrall, who also occasionally punted, played 21 seasons in the National Football League as both a starter and reserve. In the latter capacity, he became known as one of the greatest backup quarterbacks in NFL history.[1] Morrall made Pro Bowl appearances following the 1957 and 1968 seasons."

Sounds like he had a pretty good career. And it should be noted that the NFL was a run-oriented game back in his day so it isn't like comparing apples to apples comparing his game to Tebow's game.
  3. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,866
    Haven't been on the forums in a couple months and this is the first reply I've read and spot on! Well said and I hope a foreshadow of the posts for this season. True and eloquently stated. Well done.
  4. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,866
    Yeah, but they were 1-4 that very year with Orton and the same exact defense. He took over and they started winning because of the intangibles (and some tangibles).

Not to mention they sucked with the same defense the year before. So the only difference was switching Orton for Tebow and they got a couple games away from the Super Bowl. All the while, they gained fans and injected excitement. I was more of a Broncos fan that year than my own team and began watching the NFL religiously. It was as exciting a season without reaching the championship than any year my team won it all.

So to summarize, your point is understood but is sort of debunks by the results that exist.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. enviroGator

Ratings Received:
    +251
    Well that's not quite true... they also got rid of 2 of their best receivers to make sure Tebow didn't do well when he got "his shot" at proving he could be an NFL QB.

:)

But that didn't work, because Tebow discovered a young stud WR (Decker I think?) who could and would catch his passes.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +212
    Terrell Owens was a "circus" and he didn't play QB. If TT was asked to play TE it would probably be a pass catching one which is basically a larger WR. Thus, we could potentially have, you guessed it, the "circus." Again, TT should still be in the league because he is better than a lot of 3rd string/practice squad QBs. If he stays in the background long enough the "circus" will die down until he is ready to take over as the starter. It really isn't as big of a deal as these scary NFL teams are making it out to be. If you can deal with drunk drivers, murderers and drug addicts being on your team, you can deal with TT being on your team.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. nolagator

nolagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    AMEN!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. PITBOSS

PITBOSS Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Very true. Incl playoffs Denver lost the last 4 or their 5 games with him. His stats over the last 5 games.
    49 of 120 (41%) for 891 yds.
    3 TDs
    4 Ints + 4 fumbles
    15 sacks
    206 rushing yds.

These stats are bad. I anticipate Broncos saw this and justifiably wanted to go in a different direction.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  9. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,363
    All three of his receivers are starting receivers in the NFL as of 2013. They weren't duds. Don't blame the supporting staff.
  10. enviroGator

Ratings Received:
    +251
    Didn't say they were duds. Just one was a rookie, one was an unknown, and I don't know who the third.

But they did get rid of their two best WRs right before Tebow took over. One was a Gator (Jabar Gaffney) who left before the season starterd, and one was a pro-bowler who they let go right when Tebow took over.

In addition to if you were watching you would know with the exception of Decker his WR's seemed to have butter on their hands. Sure Tebow missed a bunch, but his stats were affected by a the crew around him. Including the OL which was a sieve.

Again, I'm not saying he "is the next coming" but he is as good or better than most all backups out there, and probably a hand full of starters.
  11. buddhistgator

Ratings Received:
    +252
    The Broncos scored 20+ points in 4 of the 5 games (80%) that Orton quarterbacked.
    With Tebow at the helm, the Bronco's scored 20 points or better in only 4 of 13 games. That's 9 games under 20 points. Not to mention a sub 50% passing rate.

Those intangibles you speak of had a name. Von Miller.
  12. buddhistgator

Ratings Received:
    +252
    Yep. He had a pretty good career as pretty much a career backup and his 11-0 mark as a backup would suggest he was much better than Tebow's 8-5 if you mistakenly buy into the fact that the other 44 guys on the team were not the principal reason for both of them to have winning records. Tebow didn't win those games, the Broncos did.
  13. enviroGator

Ratings Received:
    +251
    So Von Miller didn't like Orton? Got it...

So Career backups are elected to the pro bowl twice?

Just accept you used a bad example and move on...
  14. enviroGator

Ratings Received:
    +251
    And the opponents scored more than the Broncos in 4 of those 5 games.

The broncos moved to a run the clock run game with Tebow in there. The opponents knew it was coming ... they stuffed it... then in the 4th Q they let Tebow start throwing long... and they would come back and win.

With Orton as QB they lost more than they won ... with Tebow as QB they won more than they lost.

Spin it how you want.
  15. nolagator

nolagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    And tell us how Tebow is not good enough to play #2 0r 3 QB? He can also run the Wildcat, block, and can be use in short yardage and special teams.

And how is a man open about his faith or being a virgin more difficult than a man who fought and killed dogs, or who failed drug screens or beat his wife…?
  16. garettk

garettk Member

Ratings Received:
    +154
    It really is interesting to read the arguement for and against (not insinuating anyone on here is against Tebow as a person). As the objective thinker I am, I can see truth in both sides.
  17. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,363
    I focused on Eddie Royal, and I think he dropped one pass the entire year.
  18. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,363
    If Tebow could go 8-4 with horrible WRs, a sieve for an OL and a weak defense, dontcha think he would be on any NFL roster now? If not, why not? That is what Superman does, not a mere mortal QB. but the following year, they went 13-3 with pretty much the same team, but an NFL quarterback (to be fair, it was one of the greatest NFL quarterbacks of all time). They did it again last year.

No one rooted harder for Tebow than I did in 2011, but he was NOT a good quarterback. He was a great athlete who happened to play quarterback, and there aren't any NFL teams willing to make that sort of investment.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. eViLG

eViLG Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +208
    Not the most popular post around here, but the truth isn't always popular.
  20. og8trz

og8trz VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +245
    The media prides itself as comforting the aficted and afflicting the comfortable