Tebow update?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by kef300, Jun 1, 2014.

1. kef300

kef300 Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I know, I know, sorry, this us yet another Te ow thread.

However, what happened to him? Has he officially quit football? Is he not even goignt o try Canada?
  2. ACCecil

ACCecil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    The last I heard he was going to be on the NFL Network. I would assume he won't be poor doing that and their money is just as green. No risk blowing a knee or getting a concussion either. I am sure he is a competitor, they all are, but I have a real feeling he will get used to his NFL Network gig real quick. Athletic ability is fleeting. He made his mark. Time to move on to the next challenge.
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. Hilldw

Hilldw Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    SEC Network, not NFL. He has a clause in his contract that allows him to pursue a place on a team if he is given the opportunity. It wouldn't surprise me if he gets a workout or two before camps start up.
  4. G8tas

G8tas Member

Ratings Received:
    +16
    I'd be surprised if he gets a workout. He certainly has the talent to be on a team, but no one wants the publicity it would bring. I think he has been blackballed.
    • Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  5. enviroGator

enviroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +228
    I'm not jumping you for this.. as it is what we hear all the time.

But no one had a problem with the publicity that Vick a convicted dog fighter brought to their team. No one had a problem with the publicity that what ever that guy from the ravens who was suspected of murder had on the team.

But Tebow is blackballed because his fans wanted him to get a chance over a career back up in denver, and a major flop in NY?

Now I understand those other guys had proven talent (Vick and whoever) where as Tebow has been a work in progress to put it kindly. But when he did get his chance in Denver, he won. He never got a chance at NY.

Last I heard, Trent Dilfer was saying that Tebow's now a very good thrower. Who knows...

I just hope he gets his one last chance. Kid deserves it.
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 5
  6. og8trz

og8trz VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +211
    Trent Dilfer was laughed out of Tampa after being a dismal failure. He landed on a Baltimore team that had a defense that could win despite him & won a Super Bowl.

He should never be critical of any QB.

Tim's overt Christianity is the reason he has been blackballed. He got very little pub in NE. No one is griping about the pub Sam is getting despite being undersized, slow and proving it at the combine.

The left wing media is waging war on white males, especially Christians. That is 3 strikes on Tim, despite being a proven, if inorthodox winner.
    • Agree x 7
    • Disagree x 5
    • Dislike x 4
    • Winner x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  7. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,246
    Enviro - I think Tebow's degree of media "distraction" can't be compared to that of Vick. Vick's indiscretion was a "moment in time" ordeal. IOW - it is, to an extent, over and forgotten. Tebow causes a media circus, not just because of his religious convictions, but because of his college greatness. He won the Heisman and two NCs. He's an icon.

Similar thing with Ray Lewis. His issue was over after being acquitted. I'm not saying it's right, but the media finds a new hot-spot to focus upon after one buzz issue fizzles out. Lewis was also not a QB, so there's no way he would generage the same kind of media buzz in training camp, or during a season in which the starting QB struggles ("We want Tebow!" shout the masses).

That said, Tim's been out of the NFL long enough that maybe he could fly under the radar to a certain extent. I hope he gets another shot, but it's hard to imagine that he gets back into the scene after a season away. If he's not going to play Canadian league, the broadcasting route may work out very well for him. And then there's the prospect of him coaching. Whatever he chooses to do, he will be successful.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +525
    I agree that Tim is being blacklisted...because he can't throw short and intermediate routes or read defenses quickly.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
    • Agree x 4
    • Dislike x 2
    • Boring x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  9. SwampKing1

SwampKing1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +110
    What if TT was a frigging muslim?? Would the media say anything then?? I so fed up with this lib media BS in sports & politics... The man deserves a shot...
    • Like x 5
    • Disagree x 5
    • Dislike x 4
    • Agree x 4
    • Winner x 2
  10. gatordavisl

Ratings Received:
    +1,246
    [​IMG]
    • Disagree Disagree x 13
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Boring Boring x 1
  11. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,146
    Besides from the political part I think it's a fair comparison. There were a lot of people turned off because of his faith.
    • Agree Agree x 6
  12. gatordavisl

Ratings Received:
    +1,246
    Swampking was intimating that Tebow hasn't gotten a fair chance at playing QB in the NFL due to his religion. He went one step further by blaming the "lib media." I don't doubt that Tim's chances have been compromised by the media circus that surrounds his NFL bid. I do doubt, however, that his religion, or the so-called liberal media, have much of anything to do with him not sticking with the Broncos, Jets or Patriots.
    • Disagree Disagree x 9
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
  13. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,146
    Fair enough but, I think that his faith tied into the media circus regardless of who it came from. His expression of faith was always the hot topic. I think swampking, although probably should've been worded differently, was saying that because of the PC backlash, had he been a different religion, it wouldn't have been as big of a deal in the media, and teams would've had to tread lightly; media as well.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +196
    The last time I've heard something about Tebow playing football was back in January. Here's the clip. As of 3 months ago, he's still trying to get back into football.

15. ACmann

ACmann Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +70
    His world popularity was a threat to NFL players and coaches.TT was on a list with world leaders.very few if any other league players were on the list.TT is the kind of role model the youth need,and the high ups ran him off.Crazy.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. ctresh

ctresh Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +128
    What I don't understand is how Tebow, one of the greatest players and role models to step onto Florida Field gets blackballed, but a theif and rapist is "good for football." Can somebody please explain this to me?!?! I mean it's absolutely absurd, especially since the top quarterbacks being taken now in the draft are duel-threat. They're not true pocket passers anymore.
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
  17. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +676
    I think its over for him sadly to say. OTAs are going on, doesn't seem as if there's any interest and already he's behind if some team decides to pick him. My guess would be TTs agent would have sent videos of his workouts to teams and still no interest. I can't see the agent standing still. The other thing is there is only a few teams that would fit his skill set, TT will never be a drop back qb, he would fit more in a system like the eagles.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. manigordo

manigordo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +227
    These threads are always good for a chuckle...then a slap on the forehead and shake of the head.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,873
    The NFL has lots of Christian players who are public with their faith. What is different with TT is the cult following he has. That's been a double edged sword for him, and when he had so many issues with accuracy and reading defenses, the negatives to that cult following outweighed the positives. I think that's all that's going on here.
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Distant Gator

Distant Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +409
    I'm a huge TT fan. Read his book, watched every game of his on NFL Red Zone, etc.

I think everyone commented ahead of me is correct- even though it seems contradictory...
    MY POV is:
    1) You can't bring in TT quietly. It will be a circus. Most teams outside the Jets don't want a circus. It's hard enough to win games in the NFL without the distractions.
    2) TT isn't worth the risk of the circus. If NFL execs thought his upside outweighed the circus, he would be there. They don't even though he has won. Why is that?
    3) He has struggled in some things, no doubt. Some was his fault, some not. But perception has become reality so they won't take the risk.
    4) If TT was homosexual or something else non-conventional, I think a team would give him a shot. The media would be supportive and would amp up his positives.
    5) The media sees itself as an institution of change, supporting the minority and undercutting the majority. They see issues in terms of the civil rights fights of the 60s. Tebow, to them, is the majority. Michael Sam, or a Muslim player, or a gay rights supporting punter, is the minority. So they will pump up the minority, and look to cast stones on a TT.
    6) Only some of the backlash toward TT is due to his overt faith, but some isn't. The NFL loves to show that "we are not college." College is the minors, in other words. TT's accolades in college make him a target of those trying to prove this mindsett. If his faith were not an issue, he would still have this albatross on him.

Ok, if all of the above is true, then what should TT do?

IMO, he should switch positions and seek to make a team. He could go in as 2nd or 3rd string, the circus would be quieted, and he could get some great NFL experience.

Then, perhaps, a team could start using his skillset in offbeat ways and he would continue to get the exposure he enjoys for both his faith, his missions, and for a lot of other reasons.
    • Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3