Tebow to NFL?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Apr 15, 2014.

1. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,121
    Soon the nfl draft, soon ota's, we know TT aspires to play and has spent countless hours prepping. Having said that, when might any team approach TT and when would be the date that if he is not contacted it's the end?

I can't believe there are so many fa qb's that are not nearly as good as tt yet they are given shots. What does any nfl team have to lose by at least evaluating TT and giving him a shot? Personally, I think he deserves one more shot.
  2. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    ESPN, and other media outlets ruined him. Along with Merrill Hodge, and a few others. Merrill is mad tebow has 3x's the talent he has, and so he went on to go out of his way to bash him on national television multiple times. Therefore they made a media circus out of him, and he won't get another shot, I think he deserves one personally, but most GM's and head coaches do not want that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    The media didn't ruin Tim Tebow, the allure of Tim Tebow ruined Tim Tebow, sadly. What made him such an inviting personality made him potentially dangerous to the business side of the very risk-averse NFL.

It's a shame for two reasons:

1. If Tim Tebow had played 2 years later he'd be playing in the NFL right now. But in 2009/2010 the whole "running quarterback" thing was still up in the air in the NFL. The spread/spread option was limited to the wildcat at the time.

2. Tim's a great QB and could excel in the NFL.
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. ACmann

ACmann Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +181
    I really think TT was to popular world wide for the league to handle.Simply jealous.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    I
    He cant pass. If you cant win from the pocket you wont excel in the NFL
    • Dislike Dislike x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,033
    Cue the naysayers. Oops! Too late!
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Not true, Russell Wilson's playbook is full of roll outs, and throws from outside the pocket.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. mikehev

mikehev Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +472
    AZ, don't take this the wrong way, but for someone who typically puts together solid analysis, you tend to go from logical to emotional and sensationalized responses anytime someone brings up Tebow.

Anyone who is honest has to conclude that Tim can pass better than some of last year's starting quarterbacks, and certainly better than most backup quarterbacks. Is he a pure pocket passer that quickly reads progressions and gets the ball out with a quick release like some of the games elite passing quarterbacks? No. Can he pass adequately enough to be on an NFL roster? Yes, and then some. Can his combination of passing and running win games in the NFL? Absolutely, especially now that the league has changed.

To say that Tim can't pass ignores evidence to the contrary. Put him in an offense that utilizes his strengths instead of one that tries to make him just a game manager, and he will excel at best, and gain a roster spot at least. Even in Denver, the only time he would get an adequate shot to play football suited to his style was when the Broncos had already lost the game and thrown in the towel. Then, he ended up rallying them to last second win after last second win.

The reason Tim doesn't get looked at by more teams is because of the media frenzy that comes with him. People believe he can help their team win, but they don't believe that he can help their team win enough to offset the distractions that come with him.

Respectfully,

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    Mike he cant win from the pocket. It is the truth your love for Tim is blinding your judgement. Tim is not getting looks because he is not very good. Because of the media frenzy and Tim being a great person he got more of a chance than his talent warranted. He was drafted in the 1st round which was ridiculous. People said he was the worst QB in camp at Denver but was kept because of a great fanbase and the media. He jumped Quinn on the depth chart because of the fan base and media. People in charge dont believe they can win with Tim you do.

Who can Tim pass better than? Did you his pre season games in New England?
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    • Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I agree that he can't win from the pocket.

I also agree that he doesn't have to. I also think he'd become a very good pocket passer in time, but in the interim would excel in one of the many NFL systems that employ some form of the spread / spread option with QB rollouts, runs.
    • Agree Agree x 9
  11. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,866
    He certainly has a different skill set than many nfl QB'S and AZ your assessment isn't that far off but I believe it doesn't matter if you have great mechanics and can throw a 60 yard bomb if you can't win when the team needs you to than your just as useful as the waterboy. Joey Harrington, David carr, Ryan leaf were all top picks in the nfl and I believe tebow has as any wins in his short career then they have total. And they were all deemed "can't miss" players.

Although Tim certainly made me cringe at times with his throws but I believe he was just trying too much and not just playing as he knows how. I also don't know many QB'S who would have been successful when the team trade your all pro wr for a 4th round pick? (I believe) and only calls for a pass on 3rd and long. As I do believe he was given opportunities as you stated but under what circumstances? In New England he played with the other guys who were about to get cut as well. Many were surprised that Brady did as well as he did with his WR group of first string nobodies let alone their 3rd string nobodies.

It's just tough to judge his ability to be successful when it seems that the odds were being stacked against him. When payton came to the broncos they broke the bank to surround him with everyone he asked for. Tim, well they traded his only proven target at that time.

I will say this, with him under center his team did lead the league in rushing with like 250 yards pg or so, and that's mainly because of his dual threat.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. og8trz

og8trz VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +284
    Peyton Manning can't run, so teams don't force him to do things he is incapable of.

Same for Tim. How can anyone say he isn't an NFL QB when he took a bad team to the playoffs after starting from a 1-4 hole?

Tim threw 88 TD passes wit just 16 ints at UF & set a record in high school for TD passes. He is an inspirational leader in the mold of Billy Kilmer or Joe Kapp. They were unconvential QBs who willed teams to Super Bowls.
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +691
    Watched Tim play in the preseason last year for NE against the Bucs third string defense. He looked horrible. If he couldn't light it up against a bunch of scrubs, how do you think he was going to play against the first teamers?

Tebow will not be the first excellent college QB to fail in the NFL. Like him or not, his skill set does not translate to the NFL.
    • Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    See this is where I disagree and so does everybody that runs an NFL team. You have to be able to win from the pocket in the NFL.

He has been given plenty of time to become a good passer and it hasnt happen.
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    It really isnt tough to judge Tim's ability he struggles with the same things people saw going into the draft. He struggles in practice. He is not an NFL QB. Neither was Leak or Danny they were great Gators they just were not long term NFL QB's.
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  16. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Leak was never, ever going to be given an opportunity due to his size. Danny was a serviceable backup, something a lot of people predicted at the time. He was, after all, a 4th round pick.

Tim is different. He blew open the SEC in ways previously unseen. And the SEC in 2008, 2009 was way different than that of 1996. But in 2009 there was no spread option QB in the NFL. There were still doubts about running QBs and the spread in the NFL. So the NFL took a very tepid approach to Tim. Coupled with the fervor and his cult of personality, he became a very unappealing option for the NFL, his skillset notwithstanding.

Unlike Danny or Leak, Tim has actually shown he can win in the NFL. He has put together actual, fantastic games in the regular season in the NFL in just his second season.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,334
    Okay, I see it is the off-season and we need to discuss something, Old take (just like everyone's).

Tim can be an effective QB in the NFL...provided he plays in the correct system and therefore for the right coach, and with the blessing of the General Manager. And that seems to be the main issue: no coach/GM combo is prepared to bet THEIR salaries and reputations on Tim's ability to play helter skelter at the end of the game to win it. I think the Denver experiment, without any real knowledge, was a team that had no choice and since the fans were clamoring to try him they did, even though they didn't believe it. And then the wins came and they were surprised/delighted just like the rest of us. I think their switching to Peyton pretty much tells you what conventional thinking is in the NFL.

Last year was supposed to be "Belichick has a secret weapon" kind of year and what did the genius do? He made Tim run their conventional offense. And he was "ineffective" to be tactful. Why? Because Belichick wasn't going to bet that Tim as one of 53 players on the roster was going to help him win and therefore keep his paychecks coming. Nothing more than that except for a bunch of us who want him to go out there one more time. I do too but I seriously doubt that he will get the chance, except on a team that wants some kind of buzz around their program (see NY Jets, circa 1012). JMHO
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  18. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    That 1012 Jets team was about as exciting as the 44 BC Packers.
    • Funny Funny x 3
  19. gators960608

gators960608 Member

Ratings Received:
    +86
    Holds the BCS single game record for most passing yards. And since the QBR was "Born" holds the highest QBR for any single NFL Playoff game. But can't pass? Sheesh. He isn't an Elite passer sure. But he is more than capable of winning with any team. That was proven. And as far as the business side goes. Are you kidding? What struggling franchise wouldn't have benefited from having him on their team. Would the Bucs or Jags not have packed every game last year? For instance anybody forgetting the Morgan and Morgan ad saying simply signing Tebow would buy 5,000 tickets HIMSELF? Look at even the Pats, maybe the most currently successful team in the NFL. Did they not benefit from positive PR and jersey and shirt sales in a time where a murder had come from one of their players? Tebow can't win in Peytons offense. But he can win in one built around him. Look at 2011. IT HAPPENED. Honestly blows my mind how some Gator fans are seemingly offended by a suggestion that he can be successful. Is he more than likely done? yes. But it's not because he can't play. That's bull.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  20. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,866
    Tim is 100% exciting to watch 50 % of the time :)
    • Agree Agree x 1