Tebow signs with Russian team

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by geauxgator1, Sep 20, 2013.

1. tomis_gator

tomis_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    No one in Russia knows who Tebow is.
  2. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,854
    Oh, I wouldn't be too sure about that. We're talking Tim Tebow here.

:)
  3. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,087
    Who tears Tim up as a Gator? It is what it is. Tim was the greatest offensive player in Florida history. Is that not enough? Everyone here that watched Tim play quarterback whose eyes were not misted over with adulation and hero worship could plainly see that as dropback passing type quarterback, Tim was not as good as SOS, Reaves, Kerwin, Shane, Danny, Jesse, Rex or Chris (I've watched them all play). That wasn't his game any more than the spread option was Leak's game. Leak was clearly a fish out of water in Meyer's offense, yet STILL led the Gators to a MNC. Tim said himself if SOS was still the coach at Florida, he would have gone to Alabama to play for Mike Shula, as he himself knew that the dropback passing style is not his game. Tim (and Danny and Rex) was very fortunate to play in systems that fit them like a soft leather Italian glove.

Tim never HAD to drop back as a passer, calmly check off receivers, read defenses, and either make the throw or throw the ball away at Florida. On deliberate dropback plays, Tim would look for his primary, and if the primary (usually Harvin or Riley) was covered, he would take off and run, as there was usually space for him to do so. Most of the time, he played with 8-9 in the box to stop his running game, which was the strength of his game. That he could do both made him an enormous weapon, as it did for Virginia Tech with Michael Vick, who has done OK (not great) in the NFL, but was nowhere the offensive force he was in Blacksburg. But even then, no one ever called Vick a great quarterback; they all said he was a great player. He just happened to play quarterback. You could make a quarterback with Tim's power and Vick's speed and arm strength, and that hybrid would STILL not be as good as Tom Brady, Brett Favre, Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Sonny Jurgenson, Johnny Unitas...or John Elway, for that matter, the man who is hated more than all others in the Gator Nation...

Tim's season at Denver was remarkable. It didn't change the fact that he doesn't possess the tools NFL general managers require for their quarterbacks, and none are willing to change the entire way they play offense simply to accommodate Tim. You can't blame them; the NFL is a business first and foremost. If someone signed Tim just to sell jerseys and other merchandise, that is an insult to Tim.

I personally don't consider "drama queen" an insult, either. It simply identifies someone who badly overreacts, and in this case it applies. If a person doesn't say that not only was Tim the great player in Florida history, but is the greatest quarterback and greatest player in college football history, it doesn't mean they are "tearing Tim down," as you imply. Tim is hardly underrated at Florida. His name is (or will be) in the ring of Honor, as well as the Heisman Trophy winners at The Swamp. He has a statue. A plaque commemorating "The Speech" is on the wall of the Swamp. All he needs is a building to serve as a shrine, and the deification process would be complete. I wonder if you were among the fans who wanted Tim to start immediately in 2006?

If, however, you took the term to be insulting, I do sincerely apologize. Hero-worship isn't healthy anyway. Tim's a man, not a deity, and sooner or later, Man always lets the acolytes down...
  4. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,391
    No, I was not. Meyer handled that situation perfectly. Leak has been the only 21st century quarterback at Florida who really succeeded in a system that didn't play to his strengths.

I read your entire post. Thanks for the well-written reply.
  5. ufhomerj31

ufhomerj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +167
    Better not fly on those Russian planes.
  6. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,479
    Hey, it's Russia.

Sure, he's getting some good pocket change for doing this.

But, honestly, I think Tim's doing this because it's RUSSIA -- a great need for missionary work there, and they are giving him a nice platform to launch!

And he gets to play football too.

Go get em, Tim!
  7. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,394
    Jordan did not blow up the stats sheet, but he did score the winning basket in the NC game against Georgetown as a freshman. Was college POY in 83-84. Third overall pick in the draft. Hard to say he "was nothing in college." Hijack over.
  8. swampspring

swampspring Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    I thought Riley Cooper was his roommate?
  9. swampspring

swampspring Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    Russian women are hot....until the age of 35, then they age in dog years hah.