Teams Defensive schemes against UF

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by phideltdj, Sep 2, 2013.

1. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +465
    Same here...mobile qb and those rbs....geeze set up a few screens too. I was impressed with many of the RBs. Time to open the playbook up a bit.
  2. Gatorologist

Gatorologist Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +56
    What I am interested in seeing from this offense as we see better defenses is its ability to move the chains in the face of penalties or neutral/negative plays. When we get off schedule can we dial up plays to get the first down when its over 3rd and 5? Can we keep the defense off the field? My concern is that if we don't try these type of plays when it doesn't count or the D doesn't expect it then I have less confidence in our ability to do it when it does. I hope that we can, but neither last year or our the first game this year instills great confidence in this particular ability. Perhaps one of you have statistical data that dispels my anecdotal concerns. IF so I'd like to see it. Thanks
  3. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +495
    I salute the persistence of everyone that posted more than once in this thread. Guess it must have been a boring Labor Day.
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,849
    I can grant your concern. We don't have many downfield receivers and that will make converting on third and long much more difficult. But that isn't going to change this year and there is no scheme that will make us more effective in third and long situations. The best we can do is be efficient in early downs and hopefully Driskel's legs can bail us out on some third and longs, either by running or buying time in the pocket. If you look at the efficiency of the first game, I think it gives you a pretty good indication that we will avoid some of those situations more than we did a year ago.
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,849
    Or maybe we are just very excited about being able to talk football again. It has been a long summer.
  6. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,504
    I get where you are coming from my initial thought is no. But I can see us getting 3rd and 8 with this team. We are in year 2 of the offense and really should not be getting off schedule that much this year. If we throw on first down and miss it the next play should be a run to get into 3rd and manageable.

If we can manufacture around 24 points though offense /special teams/defense we should be able to win most games with the defense we have.
  7. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,504
    One of my major concerns with the offense is how they will deal with the blitz on passing situations I honestly have no clue I know Jones will help but I dont know how the Oline will block