Team Rankings

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by eastowest, Dec 13, 2013.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,606
    Agree - filling our needs with stud players that fit what we want to do is the most important thing. Mythical recruiting rankings a distant second.
  2. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +486
    O-line is not the sexy recruit that so called skill positions are. We score lower filling our biggest need on the line.

Rather win on the field than on paper so I am fine with our class so far.

This state has a lot of talent and the rankings can't fit it all in the finite star system.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +418
    My only issue with this class is that there's a HUGE difference between the quality of the players on the defensive side of the ball versus the offense. This defensive class may be as good as we've ever seen!

But on offense, while we've gotten numbers, the only guy that really jumps out at you is Grier, who is a 6.0 on Rivals and borderline 5 stars. There are 4 other 4-star guys on offense, but Kelleher, Powell, Sharpe and Stephens are all 5.8, which is the lowest ranking for 4-stars. Sousa and Goolsby are the only high 3-stars at 5.7. The rest of the guys are mid 3-star guys or lower on Rivals.

Not that I put all my faith in star ratings, but the question I have is if there is a single guy in this offensive class who's going to be ready to contribute on offense this year. There are 3 OL EEs but the 2 highest rated are both going to need to add about 20 lbs to be ready, based on their posted Rivals weights. Only JUCO Savary, who's only a 5.5 Rivals ranking is of the size and will have the Spring to possibly make the 3-deep and his offer list isn't overly impressive.

At TE, EE Goolsby might fill a position of need at TE. Powell might see some time as a change of pace back. And how much playing time will Grier see as a back-up unless there are injuries.

That obviously changes if you add Adoree Jackson, Lauderdale and/or Prince. Those are all guys who could potentially be immediate contributors.

Bottom line is that while the current offensive class isn't bad, I'm not sure there's really a single player currently committed who's going to have a significant impact this season.
  4. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +150
    With the dead period over and the 3 weekend home stretch coming up before national signing day, this is the top 25 of recruiting based averaging the rankings of ESPN, 247 Sports, Rivals, and Scout:

1. Alabama 1.00
    2T. Florida State 3.50
    2T. Texas A&M 3.50
    4. Ohio State 3.75
    5. Tennessee 4.00
    6. Louisiana State 6.25
    7T. Auburn 8.25
    7T. Miami 8.25
    7T. Notre Dame 8.25
    10. Florida 9.50
    11. Georgia 11.25
    12. Texas 12.25
    13. Mississippi 13.75
    14. Arizona State 17.50
    15. Michigan 17.75
    16. Oklahoma 18.50
    17. Arizona 20.25
    18T. Kentucky 20.75
    18T. Oregon 20.75
    20T. Baylor 21.25
    20T. Southern California 21.25
    22. Penn State 22.00
    23T. Clemson 22.75
    23T. Oklahoma State 22.75
    23T. UCLA 22.75

Four additional teams of interest:

Virginia Tech 23.25
    North Carolina 25.00
    Wisconsin 25.75
    South Carolina 28.25
  5. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,606
    Somebody posted that Sharpe weighed in at 310 at UA. If true and it's good weight, he should be ready to contribute. If we get Prince, he's another guy that should be able to contribute quickly.

I think we'll probably see Grier playing this year. He showed a lot of poise at UA, and seemed to adjust to the speed very well. Also, JD hasn't played a full season healthy yet. Odds are we see Grier on the field.

Powell could get touches as you noted.

Sousa and Stephens look pretty polished for HS receivers. They both use their bodies well, catch the ball very well and seem to have good awareness and sense of space on the field. There will be a lot of competition for playing time, so I don't seen them getting much this year, but at least they're not starting out very raw.

TE recruits will certainly have an opportunity as we didn't have a healthy TE who could catch the ball last year.

Potential recruits who we would probably see on the field if they sign: Adoree, Mackenzie, Bo. They are all electric athletes.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. atlantagator86

Ratings Received:
    +418
    I've heard that about Sharpe and that may be true that he might contribute, IF he's added muscle weight and not body fat. I mentioned Prince would be a difference maker right away if he comes in.

May also be true about Grier, but I think it's going to be a very long season if Driskel gets hurt and we're relying on a true freshman QB. Both Winston and Manziel redshirted.

I think this year, you're more likely to see a lot more of Fulwood and Robinson in the top rotation. And if Debose is back (didn't he get a medical RS?), he'll probably be in there as well if he can stay healthy. We've got some guys who are probably going to be more experienced who will likely be ahead of these 2.

Bo is such a huge longshot but he would certainly contribute right away. I was trying to keep my comments directed at guys who I feel we have a legitimate shot at.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor x 1
  7. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +290
    IRT Tennessee's class, what the heck is going on there? They have 34 commits, and don't look to be done. I know that they had a ton of EEs, but only a certain number can count back to the previous year. Are they starting a JV squad?
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,606
    Agree with all this.

Perfect world, would rather have Grier redshirt or play limited snaps when we want him to play - closing out big victories. But if the past in the best predictor of the future, Grier is going to play. I'm sure Roper knows that and will plan to get Grier as ready as possible.

Admittedly, it is tough for a true frosh QB to be very successful in the SEC, and especially going into a season that would project to have one of the toughest schedules we've ever played. But it is what it is.

Grier is certainly about as talented and prepared for this as most any guy coming straight out of HS. If he can perform like Chris did as a frosh, that'd be alright by me.
  9. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,606
    I think they got an exemption for having had Kiffin as a head coach... and then having to put up with him coming to Neyland this year.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. atlantagator86

Ratings Received:
    +418
    In a perfect world, absolutely! But Muschamp really needs to play this season to win at all cost. He can't play for the future because if he doesn't win this season, there probably won't be another season for him. Grier appears to be the clear future for this team, but if he's playing much this season beyond either mop up duty or a change of pace, that probably means Driskel is either either or totally ineffective, and in either case, it's going to be a long year and we probably have a new head coach next season.
  11. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,606
    If Grier plays a lot, it probably means Driskel is injured and of course that's not good for us.

I wouldn't assume we can't win with Grier though. From what I saw of Grier at UA, he may be more ready to play for us this fall than JD was in 2012 when we won 11 games. If we can teach him to protect the football as well as JD did, then we'll still have a very good chance to win a lot of games. I think our defense should be outstanding again. And whoever is at QB this year should have the benefit of a better OL, better receivers and a deeper backfield.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +640
    I think you can bet on more than one QB playing at various points in the season. Roper likes to play with two QBs, and I'm guessing that's why we are recruiting Treon Harris so hard.
  13. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +291
    I don't care what year he is or which position, if he can contribute and help us win, play him. The game changers are only going to be here 3 years and the contributors 4 in most cases.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +463
    What drum?

A) Who said he didn't? He is a smart man.
    B) Who said we were?
    C) Who cares?

I just so happened to look at one list (Rivals) of instate prospects, and was pointing out an observation. I'm thrilled with this class.
  15. slayerxing

slayerxing Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +509
    2013 looks like the outlier in Muschamp's recruiting patterns. Basically, last year, he cleaned up on the offensive recruiting. It looks like 2014 will be back to the norm: ridiculous awesome defensive recruiting, mediocre offensive recruiting. We'll see if he can close this year on some top offensive prospects.
  16. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,405
    If Chris leak can do it, so can Grier..no doubt in my mind. I bet you don't have to tell Grier to study his play book when he's bored either.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,606
    Our offensive performance and changes in staff likely have a lot to do with that. But the class isn't finished yet.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,405
    If we don't have an OL that can blow the DL off the line of scrimmage, it doesn't matter what kind of offensive athletes we have.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  19. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +290
    I actually like what we are doing from an offensive standpoint. The OL and TEs were both horrendous last year, and Will has definitely addressed those areas. If he adds Prince, then he has really done amazing on the OL. We are in it for quite a few of the smaller, shiftier playmakers remaining that would seem to fit our new system. Powell was a nice replacement for the loss of Cook. Finally, I have seen it said that we are recruiting Adoree Jackson as a WR. If we can hold on to J.C. Jackson, which now seems like a possibility, we really have addressed most of our offensive needs. I really have to give the coaches credit, because I thought this class was in big trouble after we lost Cook and Lane.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +763
    Last year, we cleaned up on offense with the exception of QB and freshman OL. This year we cleaned up on defense, OL and we added Grier. Looks like we are filling needs over time. What impresses me most about Muschamp is that he did not waste early ships on marginal players like the ones who have already left the program. We lost a lot of games and subsequently lost some early, high caliber recruits. I like they way we are recovering. Given the preposterously bad season we had, we are recruiting head-to-head with the big boys and winning as often as not. High school players see last season as an anomaly and still think of UF as a top tier program. We already have a great class. I almost don't care who else we get. We've already overachieved.

I take that back. I still want Prince, Jackson and Carter. I'd also like Lane to come back into the fold or someone of equal caliber. An early commitment by an equally talented 2015 WR would be just as good. I like the ones we got, but we really didn't need to sign a single WR this year.
    • Agree Agree x 2